Friday, 12 July 2013

cold sundays, warm woolly cardigans and winter treats (and a vintage dress)

blue sunday b Some weeks are fast and full of sunshine. Some weeks make the previous weekend feel like a millionty years ago. This week may have been the latter. Last Sunday, we were up late after a night out celebrating a friend's birthday, and were heading off to meet a friend for brunch. It was a crisp, clear, beautiful morning (just) but the wind was definitely fresh off the Antarctic ice. The penguins didn't want it! I was keeping in with my weekend of shorter dresses thing and wore a dress in some of my favourite colours. blue sunday a This early 1960's dress is great, but it's had the chop – there was a stain on the skirt that was going no where but as I love the colours and print, I decided it was going to be a bit of a mini! By mid century standards, anyway. blue sunday c blue sunday d blue sunday f I layered over it my soap bubble sequins vintage cardigan and my super thick and super itchy Norwegian cardigan over that, and I was warm enough (just). It wouldn't be right if it wasn't that itchy kind of wool – it feels like wholesome childhoods with gardens and tree houses and endless afternoons. It's so warm and comforting on top of lots of other things though. No bare arms underneath! blue sunday h And I wore my white, or lilac, or platinum hair for the last time. Of course it was the best version of itself ever just in time for me to make plans to change it. On the other hand, everything must change – and you know when it's time for a change! blue sunday e We went to a cafe in Thornbury (just) (it's on the Preston border), and I love the older buildings there that have managed, so far, to dodge the dreaded developers. This row in still in tact, complete with their chimneys. And I love the balcony on the right. blue sunday i Hanging flowers and – hi hi! Two coffees each went down a treat. I had the quinoa porridge. It was nice and warm and substantial but it is a bit hard to eat when talking – not literally, of course! – and it's what I imagine trying to walk on lots of spilled marbles would be like, if a tad less dangerous. But warm sweet breakfasts with rhubarb are an absolute winter treat. Happy Friday – we can now look forward to the good eating bits of this weekend! blue sunday g

7 comments:

MarieBayArea said...

Cool look with the mini and tights. And I must say your complexion is divine.

Lara Tura said...

That always happens - hair behaves itself just when it's time to do something drastic because you were sick of it not behaving!
AHKA VINTAGE BLOG

Mabel said...

You look so cute! Ooh, I'm dying to know your hair plans! I love it the way it is, but I understand wanting a change. Plus, I've recently found out how hard it is to take care of dyed blonde hair!!!

Mabel
Life of Mabel

Rachel // Mousevox said...

Love that little cardi.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Love your layered cardis - it's cool to know that this approach to dressing is done during the nippier months in the southern hemisphere, too.

♥ Jessica

Mélodie Nicolle said...

I love that dress, the colors are gorgeous and it looks even greater with the color of your hair!
Lovely!
xoxo
Melodie
http://sevenlivesandmore.blogspot.fr/

Jamie Rose said...

Aw your outfit is just adorable. You're making me really wish it was winter here so I could wear cute warm cardigans like yours. And tights too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...