Thursday, 4 July 2013

my five favourite things this winter

cape and rust
I can't believe it's Thursday, can you?! What a super-fast week! I hope you've had a good one. I've been doing more serious thinking-things and less creative things this week, but it has been more enjoyable than it sounds. In fact, I'd say there is nothing like having all your ducks in a row! I now look forward to getting back to more creative things again. Fun!

Let's look at June and my top five favourite things so far in this, our first month of winter here. I can't believe we are almost halfway through winter! Noooooo! It's been warm and sunny for lots of it, even up until yesterday, but that seems to be pretty normal here and I just know that we'll have the proper cold stuff soon. Oh I can't wait! Being cosy is the nicest thing ever. I want to enjoy more slow cooked meals, read books with a blanket on my knees (and dream of that open fireplace the whole time!) (and yes, I am declaring to the world I am a bit of a nanna!) and have friends over for a Christmas in July dinner. I also love going out into the cold night, even if it's raining; then all the streetlights blur into colourful sparkly stars and everything is shiny and slick and beautiful. Oh, I am such a winter person!

So, my favourite five things! Just in time for winter, my vintage cape arrived. An absolutel favourite! I had been looking for the longest time – over a year, for sure – and it took an aaaage to arrive but I am in love with it. Olive green with shot bronze lining; perfection. I know someone who has a vintage cropped rust colour cape and I think I could roll them for it, haha! But I am more than happy with my green one. All time wardrobe staple!

lavender house
Two: dreamy houses. How beautiful is lavender all year round? I'd love some in front of my house. I'd love a house to have some in front of! Lavender, buzzing with content, busy little bees.

green deco basin garden setting
And I'd love an old, period home. I'm not alone with that dream! Oh, for a beautiful deco bathroom! In mint green, please! And an outdoor eating setting. This is at a lovely cafe, and I love the orange against the planty green. Dream houses are so at the front of my mind at the moment!
avocado breakfast first porridge of winter
Speaking of cafes, I had my first porridge of the winter! Yummmmmmmm. Winter breakfasts are the best.
mountain car trip
Four: the great outdoors! We went to the mountains! I'd love to go back when I have my DSLR working again – which, sadly, it still isn't. We won't even go there. But I love the outdoors at this time of year and want to take more photos of it.

Instead, we'll look at this golden mustard vintage dress I thrifted. Rare! Definitely my favourite thrifted thing for a long time. It needs to be hemmed as it's been chopped (I think there might have been a water stain) and then it will need the ironing of its life but it is perfect. I really can't wait to wear this one, and of course I'll post it! You know what? I think I want to wear it tomorrow night. I'd better get cracking!

thrifted vintage dress harvest

19 comments:

Helen Le Caplain said...

The week has gone sooo fast - last time I looked it was Monday!

That cape is one of the most winter garments I've ever laid eyes on - it looks amazing on.

We're *technically* in the midst of our summer, but when it turns cold (officially!) I think a cape will be on my 'to buy' list.

I love a good open fire too, it's not jut a granny thing ;)

www.mancunianvintage.com

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I love your post :) It makes me feel a little bit more cheery about the cold weather. I was going to do a cold weather post, but i was thinking more along the lines of coping mechanisms. I still might...

Just Dont Tell Anyone said...

hah! such a great post! made me to dream about winter.. even though we are having here pretty hot summer, I already missed winter! :)
Great photos though!

MarieBayArea said...

You are going to have the most beautiful home one day.

Retro Chick said...

You make winter sound so lovely, apart from Christmas when the lights are sparkly and everything is cosy I just remember rain and cold and grumpiness!

I love your cape, I wanted a cape for years, and I have a modern one, but I am hunting for a vintage one too!

The Vintage Romance said...

The cape is so beautiful!
You look gorgeous in it!

Greetings from Germany,
Elaine Valerie & Isabelle Gloria

Kathryn said...

That first photo is just gorgeous! Your cape looks lovely and cosy and the colour combination is perfect. I'm with you on the lavender - the first thing I'll be planting in our new garden when we move will be some lavender, it just makes me so happy.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Lovely, engaging list - a classic period house would be on my list anytime of the year. Growing up, for a few years, my family lived in a charming little Edwardian house from 1909 (it was the first built on that street), and I've dreamed of residing in a vintage abode again ever since.

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

Helen Le Caplain : hehe I knew I couldn't be the only one with the fire thing!

Natalie_vintage_girl : good idea! I'd love to read that :)

Just Dont Tell Anyone: isn't it the best to have both seasons? How hot is it though – hope it's a nice, under 35C hot! :D

MarieBayArea : it feels so very, very far away ...

Retro Chick: oh winter in the UK is awesome, here there's no holidays, bonfire night etc, but I'll change at least some of that :) We do get the contrast of summer, though, and it sounds as though summer has been a bit... slow, there, lately?!

The Vintage Romance : thank you! x

Kathryn : oh wonderful! What is it about lavender..?! Just so nice.

Jessica Cangiano : oh that sounds exactly like heaven! Absolute heaven :D

Holly-Bella said...

Your photos are amazing :)

http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

Alli said...

I LOVE lavender....it reminds me so much of my Granny's garden. And I love the colour of your stockings with your cape.....so gorgeous :)

Anonymous said...

Where is the cafe? Breakfast looks lovely!

Mabel said...

Aw I hope you get your dream house! I've been wishing I lived in a house lately and not in an apartment, but oh well.
Glad you're enjoying your winter days :)

Mabel
Life of Mabel

Kitsune-kun said...

gorgeous cape!!

Eccentric Owl said...

That cape is GORGEOUS! I want one for when winter comes over here; it'd be perfect for me, since I'll be hugely pregnant by then and a cape would cover everything nicely!
Ooh, and lavender is the best. I love it so much; it just smells amazing, and looks beautiful, and ah! I need to plant some someday!
Happy Thursday!

Teresa said...

Love your cape and your mustard dress is such a great find!

I'm such a winter person too and have found myself baking constantly at the moment… which might make for a more energetic spring! ;)

Leah Loverich said...

You are looking elegantly stunning as always! <3


Leah Loverich
(Confessions of a vintage Hoarder)

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I just might :)

Anonymous said...

I love that leather doctor-esque bag you are holding in the first picture, do you have any tips on where I could find a similar one?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...