Tuesday, 13 August 2013

simple dinners for two – spicy tomato and red wine meatballs

maggi4 f maggi4 a OK, time for my fourth and final installment of the Maggi Just for 2 series. It's been really interesting working on this, and I am really pleased to have had the opportunity to try something different, and to take photos of cooking at home – plenty of challenges for me there!

I'm so inconsistent with cooking, sometimes good at it, and other times... well, not so good. When I'm good, I feel happy and enjoy it and it is so obvious to me what things will work, and what something needs to make it even nicer. I can't imagine it ever not being like this, and then boom! It's gone! I suddenly can't tell what things go nicely together, and would be quite happy to survive on the occasional slice of toast with, oh, whatever on it, and focus on other things. I want to do more recipe posts and practice taking photos of it; it's so different trying to take photos at night under the soft yellow globes of my small kitchen. Why is my kitchen so dark when there are so many lights?! How can this even be?!?!?! But these things are parameters and parameters give you something to bounce off... right? Right! Yeah!

I also saved what could have easily been either the best or the worst of the recipe base flavours: the spicy red tomato and red wine meatballs. Meatballs, seriously! I am marrying an Italian Australian! John's mum makes the best meatballs – and no, that's not just soon-to-be-daughter-in-law sucking up, it's true; they are soft and springy and tender and so, so good. I've tried to make some with her recipe before, using eggs and breadcrumbs, and sometimes a mix of both pork and beef mince, and dried herbs from the garden, and then cooking them for about an hour in the tomato sauce, but they're never quite as soft. Hmm. Something to work on.

So, the quick and easy meatballs. All this meal took was:

1. 250g beef mince, rolled into 10 balls
2. an onion, finely sliced
3. a tin of tomatoes
4. 1/4 cup red wine
and I made spaghetti – of course! – to serve.

To make:

1. heat some oil in a medium frying pan and cook the meatballs for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the onion and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until softened.
2. add the Maggi recipe base, the tinned tomatoes and the red wine, and cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.

I had mine with some rocket salad (which also packed some spinach friends with it, perhaps for company – well, I like a mix!) and John had his straight up. It was surprisingly spicy and definitely had flavour, and the meatballs were cooked through – we checked, of course, as I couldn't believe that they could cook so quickly. They were firm and filling. The meatball challenge was met! maggi4 b maggi4 d maggi4 e Wormy balls, my friends. Wormy balls. I am actually quite proud of my meatball making. The last time I rolled ball shapes (oh shh) was when I made chocolate balls a few months ago and they were somewhat... interpretive? Expressive? And not very round. I even managed to get these more or less the same size, woo! maggi4 g I am always worried that the bits touching the edge of the pot will burn when I'm cooking spaghetti, but it worked out ok. maggi4 h maggi4 i maggi4 j maggi4 k
Sponsored Series by Nuffnang Australia
MAGGI Just for 2 - a NEW adult range of tasty recipe bases that are right Just for 2.

1 comment:

Jessica Cangiano said...

Very yummy looking! I think this seasoned ground meat mixture would be great cooked as crumbled pieces in the sauce and used as a kind of more grown-up sloppy Joe sandwich filling as well.

♥ Jessica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...