Tuesday, 1 October 2013

answering questions on vintage

wardrobe-full-of-vintage c wardrobe-full-of-vintage b So what must be months ago now I started to tell you about how I got into vintage, sharing what I learned and giving tips on where to begin... and it is more than high time I got back onto this. I get lots of lovely emails asking how to start collecting vintage to wear, what reactions you get when wearing it, how to look after it and so on, and I keep meaning to share this all here... and now here it is!

This is a question I got a few weeks ago. Of course I answered in email, but I want to do so here, too:

    I am just now trying to pursue a full vintage wardrobe. I was wondering if you had any tips and tricks that you would share to a newly vintage lady. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! Filling a wardrobe with beautiful vintage that you can wear is so fun, and it is the best feeling when you can finally pull open the door or dive into the rack and pick out one vintage thing for the day from many. It's so nice to have a bunch to choose from. Getting there takes a bit of time though. Ok, a lot of time! Once you have found the style you like, keep looking and looking and looking! If you find something perfect, know that you may never see it again, and if you absolutely love it, try to get it there and then. Don't settle for something because you think you should like it, or stick with an era just because you like other things from it. Don't feel you have to rush. Enjoy what you find as you go, make use of op shops so you have variety to play with, and don't be afraid of trying on things you think won't work but love, because you never know... they might be perfect. Oh, and the tricky-but-obvious one: remember to look for things other than dresses!

Got any more questions? There's so much to think about, so help me narrow it down! Ask me here and I'll answer here!

10 comments:

Maude Rokvic said...

Yes! I have questions!For instance:
Do you often buy vintage or second hand items and then get them tailored? If so, does this cost lots and lots of money? I have a body shape that I have a lot of trouble buying for and so I often pass up on buying lovely dresses or blouses because they are too tight in one place and too loose in another. It's extremely frustrating!

Damaris // The cat, you and us said...

Loved the tricky-but-obvious one!, I always have the same problem I am usually drawn to dresses and forget that I should look for the rest (shirts, skirts, scarves, ..). Thanks for your tips!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Very good answer!! I always try to say as well, don't think of vintage as just one look or era...there are many to choose from & finding one that suits you to play in is great. And mixing the eras can be fun as well. I just love finding vintage treasures :)) And yes, do buy them when you see them if you can, because they will be gone!! Hope your week is going well xx Kizzy

Jessica Cangiano said...

The last line of your lovely reply is such an important tip to keep in mind - it can be incredibly easy to unintentionally amass a vintage wardrobe of little more than dresses. Even if one wears frocks predominately, there's always going to be occasions that are best suited to separates (travel, I find, is one of them for me).

♥ Jessica

miranda said...

ohh, i have a question! i've had a few vintage dresses in the past that i wore but never washed because i didn't know what to do. i ended up selling those (which is gross now that i think about it). anyway, i have a sundress of my grandmother's that i've worn quite a few times but haven't washed and i JUST got a beautiful handbeaded 50s dress yesterday because i'm STARTING my collection too.

so, how to wash delicate dresses? i know a lot of sellers handwash so i imagine that's best? or dry clean? mirandarodgers@ymail.com

Carla Ortega said...

I have many questions, whenever I go to thrift stores and see something beautiful I want to take, but at the same time I have a sense of guilt for a reason that is not afraid to use it because the people in my city is not used to seeing this style and also can not wait to wear colorful dresses but I feel insecure because I have a style very varied in vintage clothing is concerned, what advice can you give me?

Alli said...

My question is- do you have any suggestions for great places to look for vintage in Melbourne? I'm only new to Melbourne, and I was so excited as I thought that I would find some amazing things (at a reasonable price). Unfortunately, some of the places that I've seen in the city have been pretty disappointing. Thanks ever so much xxoo

Elke said...

how do you make that transition? how do you incorporate your contemporary pieces into your wardrobe and style? what about buying online, internationaly? i bought an amazing blue floral cotton dress and ended up spending more on taxes than the cost of the dress. how can i avoid that?

abigailalicex said...

I absolutely adore all your outfit posts but sadly I don't think I'd be able to pull vintage off!

http://abigailalicex.blogspot.com

Rebecca Ann said...

I totally agree about shopping/getting ideas from opt shops/thrift stores. I have found many true vintage items and reproduction and even modern items that looks vintage there. I do not dress "vintage" every day, but I tend to have a 1940's/bohemian look going on most days. Great tips!

Blessings!
Rebecca

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...