Friday, 25 October 2013

edward steichen and art deco fashion at the ngv

edward-steichen-ngv a Last Thursday evening (as in just over a week ago – phew this week has gone fast) I was absolutely chuffed to be one of a number of bloggers invited to the launch and preview tour of the Edward Steichen & Art Deco Fashion exhibition at the NGV. I was so excited when I first heard that the exhibition was coming up, so the chance to see it like this made me very happy indeed! edward-steichen-ngv b Trish and I met at my house to admire each other's outfits and then catch the train in to the city together. I always like the views of the CBD from the train, even when it is in murky greys, like it was on this particular evening. See those clouds and that tiny patch of blue sky? It was cold. Cold and very, very windy! We met up with John on the bridge next to Flinders Street Station, and walked over the Yarra trying to keep our hair in place – and I think we did pretty well, considering! es-trish And at least windy makes for dramatic outfit photos! es-iolanthe We then saw beautiful Iolanthe. es-me And we all struck our poses. I was so glad to be wearing my vintage coat and fur. Who could have guessed that two days later it would be 30C? Melbourne springtime, it likes to keep you guessing. es-black-dress I wore my new vintage black sheer silk dress with the huge sleeves. I absolutely love it and can't wait to wear it again, when perhaps I might just take some more photos of it too, to do it justice. Note the dates of the exhibition in the photos, so you absolutely can't miss them. Definitely 100% deliberate. Maybe. es-black-dress-sleeve The mega sleeve puffs are even more sheer than the rest, so I feel like I am wearing a soft black cloud. This is not a feeling I dislike. I actually really enjoyed wearing black, as it was a nice change from my everyday colourful cottons. Will definitely happen again. What I could do without ever happening again, but it obviously will, was the wind making my eyes water, leaking tiny icy diamonds that stung their way down my cheeks and threatened to take my makeup with them. es-gabrielle Inside the gallery we saw the stunning Gabrielle. edward-steichen-ngv i Then we did some more posing for official cameras, accepted our glasses of champagne and were taken on a tour of the exhibition courtesy of the curators. Felt very privileged and happy. edward-steichen-ngv d The exhibition has some amazing clothes from the 1920s and 1930s... edward-steichen-ngv e ... and mind blowing photographs by Edward Steichen, Conde Nast's chief photographer during the 1920s and 1930s. edward-steichen-ngv l edward-steichen-ngv f Absolutely one of my favourite eras of all time. edward-steichen-ngv m edward-steichen-ngv k I'm not going to show you too much of what's on display as you simply have to go and see it if you can get to Melbourne. I am definitely going to go again, as there was so much to take in. I loved this note on Greta's photo. edward-steichen-ngv g Then it was party time. Bubbles, bubbles everywhere! edward-steichen-ngv h edward-steichen-ngv c And little beetroot cones, which were very nice. edward-steichen-ngv j The tower of champagne glasses that looks, quite appropriately, blurry, but it is in fact just the dozens of glasses behind one another. The three of us had a ball and we are all looking forward to going again soon – though next time sans bubbles! john me-bubbles

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special, extravagant night. More champagne towers! More dress ups! Let's visit it again before the springish winter thingy is over xx

The Dainty Dolls House said...

How amazing!! I love this era for clothes :)) The dress you have on is just stunning, I love the puffy arm sleeves :) Your friends look amazing too. Am glad you had such a fun time doll...have a wonderful weekend x

Valerie Brown said...

That looks like a fantastic exhibit - I'm envious! We recently went to the David Bowie exhibit that is now at the Art Gallery of Ontario. It is also filled with (now) vintage clothes and costumes! So much fun.

Jaye said...

The exhibit looks lovely! I wish I were in Melbourne so I could check it out:(

Laura said...

this sounds amazing! x

carlottaloth.blogpost.com said...

we see that enjoyed a big event, and you in black looks very glamorous!

Adorina said...

I love your dress, it is gorgeous!

Alli said...

What an amazing evening! You girls looked gorgeous! I must definitely try and see this exhibition while its on. So glad we moved to Melbourne! :D

Jessica Cangiano said...

You are a nothing short of ravishing vision of stylish beauty and glamour in these lovely images, dear gal.

♥ Jessica

Rebecca said...

Lucky you! Looks like an amazing exhibit - I wish I was planning a trip to Melbourne sometime soon!

-Rebecca
mn2nz.wordpress.com

precious paperdoll said...

What a phenomenal exhibit! I was only in Melbourne in May visiting the Monét show but I think a weekend trip from Sydney is in order for this show! It is positively darling!
XO's Paige

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...