Monday, 7 October 2013

style challenge: putting together op shop looks with Vinnies

vinnies-scarf a A few weeks ago I was given a challenge: to put together some outfits sourced from the newly renovated Vinnies in Ringwood.

As you know, I do like a good op shop rummage, and I was curious about the renovation, too. I actually like my op shops to be a bit jumble-y, maybe a bit messy, with low prices and the occasional bargain. I don't really expect to find vintage, but then you never know, it has happened before – I found a late 1940's dress at my local Vinnies a few years ago. Yus!

I was hoping that this new look for Vinnies wouldn't be too flash or over the top. And, happily, it isn't; I hadn't been to this one before, but my local Vinnies is a mish mash of shop fittings complete with tennis ball protectors, and this one has been spruced up, with fresh, stable fittings (no tennis balls) and clothing styles grouped together. It was easy to get around and have a good look at everything, and the prices were the same, which is good.

The hard bit was, of course, putting together entire outfits! The rule with op shopping is you never know what you will find, and one day you might find gold, while on another you'll leave empty handed. I also tend to find things to go with other pieces I already have in my wardrobe, rather than complete looks.

To make things even harder, I'd just taken three huge full bags of clothes and shoes down to my local op shop (the Vinnies I mentioned above) a couple of days before, and was enjoying that virtuous, I-cleaned-out-the-clutter-at-long-last feeling.

So, how did I go? As per usual, I found things that would be great when put together with what I already had. A dress, a silk scarf, a top and a belt came home with me, and... here they are! orange-black-dress b The dress is a comfy early 1980s number, with a great orange floral pattern on a black background. It's too big, really, but with the black patent Jigsaw belt I picked up for $3 (still with its original price tag of $89, aha!) it works. I was actually chuffed with this belt, as a good belt is, for some strange reason, hard to find. orange-black-dress c black-gypsy-top a It worked well, too, with the black gypsy top by Cue, which I wore with a vintage red square dancing skirt gifted to me by Trish. This is, by the way, going to be my summer look: Rita Hayworth's Carmen meets Lola Flores, and they have a diva skirt twirl off... ANYWAY. jigsaw-belt b jigsaw-belt a black-gypsy-top c The scarf is easy – a really pretty print in a lovely green that will go with lots of things. I'm always happy to pick up a good silk scarf. I must try Leeyong's suggestion of using them as pillow cases! vinnies-scarf bvinnies-scarf c And that was my bounty from Vinnies. Pretty good going for a 45 min run! It was great to try a new Vinnies, especially an outer 'burbs one – you never know what you'll find but there's always something!

16 comments:

Alli said...

What a score with that belt!!!! Holy Dooley what a find for $3. And I was going to say that you looked very Rita Hayworth in the second outfit....very pretty. I love the scarf. Pretty scarves are always a great thing to have. My Non used to have lots of them, and I always remember her tying it around her hair on a blustery day to keep it in place :)

Theresa said...

What a great challenge. I'm loving the Rita Hayworth look!

Betty2Tone (Laura) said...

I'm shocked that anyone would spend that much money on a belt D: I love everything you put together!

Elyce Sandri said...

That top is great! I recently purchased a similar style skirt and was wondering what top to pair with it. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Vanessa said...

That dress is gorgeous. I just love the print.
I love it when you find things with their original tags in op-shops. I once found a Sportsgirl dress that I'd been drooling over in the store a few months earlier in an op-shop still bearing its $90 swing tag. I got it for $6.

Natalie Mulford said...

Oh! You did pretty great! I love rummaging through op shops, I often tend to get bags & accessories as I find it's often harder to find plus size stuff, but it's still super fun to hunt around!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

You found some really awesome things...I have never been to an op-shop before. I like what you found though. Good belts do seem to be hard to find and the ones I end up liking are priced far too high for a simple belt. But, yours is fab and that price is great, especially in comparison to the original ;) Really gorgeous, well done you!! xx

Nora said...

What a great idea! I love rummaging through stuff too but I guess it's not like in the UK or US where you can actually find stuff older than the 60s.. most of the time it's cheap stuff from last season ahahah :) I love love love the outfits you put together :)

alittlevintagestory said...

You got some really great finds! I really love the Rita Hayworth look you've pulled together, it reminds me of Lena Hoschek's most recent collections. xx

Miss Emmi said...

That's my vinnies! I'd better go check it out!

Helen Mae said...

The second look is my favourite, how lovely!

esme and the laneway said...

‪Alli‬ : yes the belt was a bargain! That is soooo glamorous with the silk scarf, what a lovely memory to have :)


‪Theresa‬ : thanks! Me too – she knew what she was doing, hey!


‪Betty2Tone (Laura)‬ : thank you! Yes, I prefer $3 over $89 for the belt :O :D


‪Elyce Sandri‬ : my pleasure! :D


‪Vanessa‬ ace, it's the best when that happens! :D


‪Natalie Mulford‬ : the hunt is the best bit – wait, no, finding something amazing from the hunt is :)


‪The Dainty Dolls House‬ Thanks! Op shopping is the best fun, I'm glad I got back into it after I moved here :)

‪Nora‬ : so true, it's often new-old stuff, but I have found true vintage! Rare as, but it has happened! I tend to find amazing 1970s things :)


‪alittlevintagestory‬ thanks! I LOVE Lena H! Dream outfits!


‪Miss Emmi‬ s: oh, cool! Yes, do :D


‪Helen Mae‬ : thanks! It's my favourite too. Bring on summer, I say!

ns said...

Haha awesome! I tried that same dress on a few weeks earlier, but decided against it, it just wasn't right for me.

I love that it'd found a home in your beautiful closet! May it enjoy many wonderful outings with you dear Marianne, you look beautiful (as always) :)

Veronica said...

One question, LOVE THE LOOK BTW; how how how how HOW can you wear a bra with that top? If so, please tell me what kind as I have a similar top and am flabbergasted.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Beautiful looks across the boards! I really enjoy fashion challenges (like this) that get the gears turning, so to speak, and help up come with great new outfits that we might never have before.

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

ns : really?! That's amazing! Small world!

Veronica: argh good question! I'm still searching for the perfect strapless bra, and if I find it I'll let you know – this was a normal one with the straps tucked in, far from ideal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...