Sunday, 13 October 2013

what my vintage dreams are made of

1930s-dress If you follow me (like me sounds... funny!) on my facebook page you might have already seen this but it is so special it needs to be here too. This is the kind of dress that made me fall in love with "vintage" in the first place. I put vintage in the bunny ears because this feeling of mine goes back to before I knew what era it was from, about the construction and about how to even go about finding them and wearing them and OH how on earth could I even wear vintage in real life. Just a pure hint in my mind cobbled together from memories from my childhood, snatched glimpses of films – I clearly remember bits of The Red Shoes and the end of Footlight Parade from when I wasn't even 8 – on rainy Saturday afternoons that of course were never watched in full because my dad would be watching sport and was just flicking through the channels in the ad breaks, and the first peeks into a world of wonder when I was 15 and found ways to escape, sometimes, from the mundane day to day chores of living. It can all be summed up in a dress like this. 1930s, pale shell pink, soft and fluid and worn and loved and lived in and partied in and completely alien to anything that is made now. It is beautiful.

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

It always pleases me to think that someone loved this dress so much they kept it for 70 to 80 years! It must have a story, which is why I feel like its caretaker until the next owner loves it, too. Enjoy the beautiful dress.

Spoonful of Vintage said...

Beautiful! I know exactly what you mean- every time I find a glittering beaded cardigan or flowing ruffled dress in a dusty vintage shop I get butterflies inside!- It's so much more than being just about the clothes- it's the stories that go with them and the memories they evoke.
xoxo Amie @ Spoonful of Vintage

joanne said...

Lovely and magical!

Jessica Cangiano said...

It really is a terrifically lovely, sweet, dreamy dress. Thank you for sharing this pink pretty with us.

♥ Jessica

Alli said...

Swoon!!!

Vintage Girl said...

Adorable dress!

beate grigutsch said...

yes! thats it!
thanks you for writing down this - sounds a bit like my own history - glimpses of old films, wearing grannys frocks when i was a teen, escaping the ordinary life.....
:-)
the pink dress is a beauty!

esme and the laneway said...

‪Kathleen‬ : so true! The story can be wonderful!


‪Spoonful of Vintage‬ definitely! They evoke such magic :)


‪joanne‬ : <3


‪Jessica Cangiano‬ : and next I will wear it!


‪Alli‬ : :D yip!


‪Vintage Girl‬ :)


‪beate grigutsch‬ yes, all those little things that add up :)

Random Revelry said...

I love your blog. It has this homie feeling to it. But keep it up, such a fan already and it's only my first time here!!

http://randomrevelry.blogspot.com/

The Dainty Dolls House said...

So wonderful!! That's what I love about vintage, the stories & life that is in them. I know with new things, you create the story. But, it's so different. I've loved vintage things for as long as I can remember, finding treasures at my Nana's house & hearing the stories of them built the love I have for vintage. This dress is so fine...love the colour :)) x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...