Monday, 4 November 2013

cocktails, cuba and those 1970's black sheer polka dots

black-dor-net-los h Good morning, Monday! Maybe you've got the day off, and tomorrow too? Looooong weekends are gooooood! Let's not worry about days and go back to last Tuesday evening just a few evenings ago, when I went to Nuffnang's cocktail evening in Fitzroy. And it was a learn to make the cocktails evening, too – and I'm always ready to learn new skills! black-dor-net-los a Trish and I hopped in my car and went to Los Barbudos on Smith Street. And, you know what car means – my mojitos were going to be rum-free. But that's ok. Made sure to enjoy rum later in the week but that's for a later post! black-dor-net-los c Hair setting for a couple of hours with water and moussse it still going well. Not sure why I look like a sad fish face though! I wore that black sheer polka dot dress from a couple of posts ago. It seemed perfect for a bit of a Cuban theme. And I just love it, too. So, so much. Oh, 1970s, it's love with you, always and forever. collingwood-oct13 a Fitzroy and Collingwood have some amazing old (for Australia) buildings. There seems to be a strong trend for knocking them down at the moment as quickly as possible so let's hope this stops before they're all gone. I actually think that the grey thing on the left, in the distance, might be the old silos, halfway to destruction. collingwood-oct13 d collingwood-oct13 c I love the huge old factories here, and the old English trees. collingwood-oct13 b Sash windows! So obsessed with these. Although I'm pretty sure I'd get over living with them fairly quickly if they're anything like the ones from my school days (mine was in an old building, I'm not 150 years old) (yet) and completely unstable, and ready to teasingly half-guillotine you should you have the audacity to open one and lean out of it. But the working, reliable ones are very beautiful, aren't they! Oh, to live with them..! I could open them in the evening and the warm breeze would make the curtains move, and the golden light would shine on my pot plants and make them happy. Yes, I have this all planned out! collingwood-oct13 e Love the old facades that have been preserved. collingwood-oct13 f And that you turn your head to look down the next street and it's a beautiful jumble of cottages and flowers. Ok, and parked cars and bins out for bin night but you've gotta take the modern world – the useful bits! – too, haven't you! trish-barbudos a Trish and I were keen to have a quick look. collingwood-oct13 g How gorgeous is this wild driveway next to one of the cottages? The lady that lives there heard Trish and I outside admiring the roses, and said we could take photos in there if we wanted. black-dor-net-los b And of course we did! Thank you, lovely Collingwood lady in the beautiful house! black-dor-net-los d Happy to twirl and be silly among it all. black-dor-net-los e black-dor-net-los f And yes, I had a coat – it was a cold night so here is a touch more reality for you! trish-barbudos b trish-barbudos c Trish looked amazing in this striped long skirt and flowers in her hair. smith-street-fitzroy Smith Street. Used to come here heaps years ago! los-barbudos a The bar, Los Barbudos. That door reminds me of another venue here in Fitzroy. Love the lion! los-barbudos j los-barbudos b Lots of other people were a bit more punctual, as perhaps they had not been prancing about in flowers. Missin' out, people! los-barbudos d los-barbudos c After a quick look around we were treated to a lesson in rums. It's from sugar cane. I had no idea. Ernest Hemingway liked it. I didn't know that either. los-barbudos g los-barbudos e los-barbudos f I had a no-rum mojito which was actually very nice. Then, after a demonstration, it was time to make our own. I think I need a bit more practice – and I think I can try my best! Or perhaps I can leave the experts to it... I'm more than happy to drink a couple perfectly made up for me! It was a lovely evening. los-barbudos h los-barbudos i

14 comments:

norafinds said...

What a kind lady to have let you take photos in her garden! :) You look beautiful - i know it's a 70s dress but it does look very 50s patio dress, very much your style! I envy Trish for that amazing cardigan - you two are such a fun duo!

Miss Louise said...

lovely, as always :)
I'm always feelings inspired after checking out your blog

Ms Jelena said...

You are such a stunner! I love your hair! xx

The Dainty Dolls House said...

What a gorgeous event. I like rum as well, though not had it in ages. Would be cool to learn how to mix drinks. How sweet of the lady to let you both take pictures, it was perfect, how I miss the flowers already!! You look a peach, adore this dress :)) Am glad you had a fun time xx

Maria @crashingred said...

You look so lovely M. Really beautiful, actually!

Cookie-Fee said...

wow, I haven't thought that this dress could look even more beautiful, put you pull it off so so well! You look great in it :) xx Cici

Circus Girl (Zoƫ) said...

Oh you two kittens look gorgeous! x

Frocks and Frivolities said...

You both look beautiful, what a fun girls night out!

Teresa said...

How fabulous of that lady to let you take photos in her gorgeous flower garden. Such a perfect setting for both of your pretty outfits!

Jessica Cangiano said...

That dress is such a dreamy, yet solidly eye-catching piece. It seems to straddle the realms of romantic beauty and chic glamour so terrifically well.

♥ Jessica

Jema said...

Your hair + that dress = ♥◡♥

Elke said...

wow you both look super! the dress is better on you... the hanger did it no justice :-)

rudegurl32 said...

Melbourne looks so lovely! I can't wait to come to Australia. Definitely will have to pop by Melbourne at some point.
The winter is nothing compared to the winter in Canada!!

laura redburn said...

the photos of you and your friend in the flowers are soooo lovely!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...