Friday, 29 November 2013

rubies, rings, and the stories they tell

egetal-ruby c Earlier last week I visited eg etal, a contemporary jewelry and objects gallery and shop in Melbourne's city centre. I love being in the city in the sunshine, and walking up the narrow hill on Flinders Lane, past the old buildings and beautiful small independent shops, is a nice thing to do here – a real Melbourne-love moment for me. egetal-ruby a egetal-ruby b It always looks especially good at this time of year, with the big, leafy trees and historic details on the rough walls. bricked up Things bricked up like this make me think of the Victorian Window Tax, although that's obviously not what's happened here! Or at least I hope not! basement street windows And these basement windows always make me think of London, and beautiful terraced houses and secret underworlds just metres away. egetal-ruby e We were there in celebration of eg etal's 15th birthday. To mark the occasion, the senior artists each created a piece for the Ruby Collection – rubies are traditionally used for 15 year anniversaries. Jewelry has obviously been on my mind quite a lot lately, with our wedding coming up, and I was happy to learn a bit more about something that was until recently quite alien to me. The idea of working with an artist on something that will be a special investment, symbolising so much, appeals to both John and me. And as someone who finds so much importance in the stories attached to vintage clothing I wear, I like that you can create a new story when working on jewelry with an artist, and support the local creative community. A million times better than just something off the shelf! egetal-ruby d egetal-ruby h The artists showed us their work. I am not good with my hands, and the closest I've got to metal working was soldering an electrical connection a few years ago. And sure, it worked, it was fine, electricity flowed, but it definitely wasn't beautiful! That people can work something solid into something beautiful genuinely amazes me. egetal-ruby f I loved this one because it reminded me of when John and I first got engaged years ago, I told him I liked the idea of a plain wedding ring with jewels on the inside so no one else would know they were there! He did not share this vision (!) and my tastes have since changed, too, but I still really appreciate this idea. So special and personal and the opposite of showy. I didn't want to take too many photos of the rings while the artists were talking as that seemed a bit rude, so you'll have to pop in and have a look at the rest yourself if you can! egetal-ruby g I did take a photo of the cute ruby-topped cupcakes. They were red velvet and lived up to their name, all velvety soft and delicious..! egetal-ruby i Afterwards I met up with John for a lunchtime coffee. egetal-ruby j I shared my cupcake with him. Had to touch the glitter first though, obviously. yellow-vintage-ruby b And this is what I was wearing: my vintage yellow dress with the blue and green embroidery, and my snakeskin heels from yoox. Cannot believe how practical these shoes are. They go with everything! yellow-vintage-ruby c The cool change was trying to come through, so the sun was swamped by low white clouds, rushing about in the big winds and making the temperature plummet. Making my hair take on a new style, too..! yellow-vintage-ruby a I'd decided that navy nails would look good with ruby rings, what do you think? And, while we're on the subject of rings, I picked up John's wedding band today, and I can't wait to show you! Happy Friday! yellow-vintage-ruby d

8 comments:

Nora said...

It must be a pretty daunting job for boyfriends to pick engagement rings for their fashionable girlfriends! I can never decide what I actually want - a simple one or an elaborate one? Will it be too simple? Will it be too boring? Will it be too much? Will I regret it? Hahahah!

That dress is so sweet my love! I can never pull off pale yellow like you! Beautiful embroidery as well - sigh!

Alli said...

That dress is gorgeous! And how exciting picking up John's ring! Not long to go....I'm so excited for you :) xxoo

Maria V said...

As always gorgeous photography, gorgeous you! Loved your half moon nails too ;)

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Just beautiful doll! I love the cupcake :)) I would have touched the glitter ruby too ;) What a fun time. This dress is splendid too. I wish I was back to wearing dainty dresses, but now it's layers and warmth :)) Have a gorgeous weekend doll xx

Amber Jade said...

I love that dress. You always look absolutely stunning! :)

Valerie Brown said...

As an independent jewellery artist, I'd like to thank you for the shout-out for custom, hand made pieces. They really do allow you to tell your own story!

Alexandra Marie said...

Amazing dress- it is exquisite! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

esme and the laneway said...

Alli: it is SO CLOSE! And thank you! :D

Valerie Brown : my pleasure – it's something I really admire and respect and want to support more :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...