Thursday, 12 December 2013

another of my very first vintage dresses, peter pan collars, and the laneways of the early days

blue-peter-pan-collar a Lately I've been mindful of wearing my older vintage dresses – as in, the ones I've owned the longest, not necessarily the oldest ones. You know what I mean! I love that I still love so many of them. In the early days of me buying vintage, I used to really think long and hard about a purchase. I still do now, but it's different, too, in that I know what I like these days, so the decision is in that way easier to make! Back in those days when I was just "starting out", I wasn't sure yet what would really work for me, so there was a bit of risk, and trial and error, involved. And I am chuffed that it often worked out well! blue-peter-pan-collar c I've had a thing for peter pan collars for years now, and used to use it in my vintage etsy searches. This blue sheer dress is one of the first ever vintage dresses I bought, as in, it's in my top three. I remember loving the collar and the details on the cuffs, and the tiny red glass button. It wasn't in the greatest state when it arrived – it stank of cigarette smoke and was filthy – but a good soak took care of that. It's funny that back then, even washing it was new, as I had no idea of how to wash these fragile old dresses and I was scared I'd ruin it! It's amazing how much you learn over time without really noticing the info sinking in. blue-peter-pan-collar f Anyhoo, I wore it the other weekend to see my friend who was selling her flat. John and I used to live in the flat upstairs and that's how we all met. We have some lovely, very loud and very funny memories of living there... Actually, that was the flat where I bought this dress! The shoes are Target and the bag is asos. blue-peter-pan-collar d Still wearing the flat shoes a lot. I LOVE it. Still love my heels too, of course, but it is so nice to be able to walk and walk all day and not give it a second thought. Oh, and I started the blog from that flat, too, and took all my photos in the laneways around it that gave the blog its name. It was funny, and nice, to be back, even if for just a few minutes! blue-peter-pan-collar e

16 comments:

zozo said...

I love the peek of scarlet beneath the dress!
atelier zozo

Charmaine said...

I really love how you share such minute detail about your life but still make it so personal. It's sweet. By request: how did you and John meet?

beate grigutsch said...

the dress is soo cute! love the color and that it´s sheer!
...is´t it great that vintage dresses never go "out of fashion"? i have some more then 10 years and they make me feel exciting every season :-)

Kalliopie said...

hair and dress colours match perfectly

Lornas wishing well said...

Great outfit! x
http://lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

Kathleen said...

These photos are beautiful! I was just wondering what hair dye you use as I am envious of your beautiful ginger locks!

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

That dress is beautiful on you! xx

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Alexandra Marie said...

Beautiful colors! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

esme and the laneway said...

zozo : detail spotter :D x Yes, if it's gonna be seen it should be thought about.

Charmaine : ok! Will talk to John and see what can be done :)

beate grigutsch : so, so true! Makes it so amazing to wear. So long lasting!

Kalliopie : yes, that was a happy surprise!

Lornas wishing well: thanks!

Kathleen : it's such a mix of things now it's impossible to say. And any colour is affected by the colour underneath, so the best thing to do is take a picture of the colour you want to a good, recommended hair dresser you trust and let the experts do it. Good luck! x

esme and the laneway said...

Rosalinda Tjioe : thanks! One of my favourite finds :)

Elke said...

what a beautiful neighbourhood, it really lends itself for pictures, and blog names. You look so good in blue, cute as a button. And those buttons are so pretty! Here it's hard to get vintage, so I started altering, drawing and sewing. My first dresses have (hidden) flaws, but are great learning experiences :)

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Perfect, love the collar & colour :)) xx

laura redburn said...

that dress is amazing! i love it. and that blue looks REALLY good on you, with your lovely skin tone and hair.

Adora Mehitabel said...

stuning photos! love that hair coulor on you!
www.adoramehitabel.co.uk

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

cute dress! I love the colour

Jessica Cangiano said...

Terrifically pretty ensemble! I just adore how your vivid red locks seem to sing with the intensity of flame against that cool, timeless royal blue frock.

♥ Jessica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...