Wednesday, 18 December 2013

how things are looking at home: right now, and the to do list for the holidays!

vintage-dresses-wall Hello! I'm so glad you liked the makeup post. I really enjoyed doing it, and will do the lipstick one next. I think a lipstick top three will be good!

I am now counting down the days to the Christmas Holidays (and to the wedding!) (!!!!!!!) and I can. not. wait. for them to arrive. I really want to get quite a few project around the house done. It's been so neglected of late and definitely needs some attention! The things that I am going to do are – wait, I stumbled when typing that, because that means I have to do them, right? No wishy-washy-maybe-I'd-like-to-if-I-can business here! – no! Here is the list of things I will do:

– the bathroom: I painted it an amazing dark blue in the first year of living here and we still love the colour. Now I am going to sort out some shelving in the corner, which will mean I'll possibly have to move the beautiful deco mirror that's been above the toilet (mmm, doesn't that sounds glam! It looks much better than it sounds, I promise) which is a shame, but I know we can work something out. Might repaint the cupboard too.

– the kitchen: last winter I wanted to do a couple of things to the kitchen and I did paint the dark green back door a glossy cream, and it looks great, if I do say so myself. However, I'm a real perfectionist when it comes to painting which is a massive pain for all involved (if you're going to do something, do it properly!) as it takes aaaaaaaaages but the result is worth it. BUT my point is I am going to paint the dark green (there was a thing with them, the back door, and the light shades) shelves in the corner – hopefully I'll spray paint them, as that'll be much quicker. Having four shelves spread out about a small kitchen floor ain't no good for no one. It's also amazing how much bigger they become – and so how long they take to paint – when you take them off the wall..! But I want to paint them pale, and maybe have a bright and cheery feature colour shelf. Bright yellow? Sky blue? Something fun. And manageable, job-wise!

– the floorboards in the bedroom, living room and kitchen: ok, this is a big one. A HUGE one. In fact, this will be better to do when it cools down in Autumn, as it is going to be a beast of a job, but we love the white floorboards in the other two bedrooms (and now my home sounds very big, and it really is not) and they wear really well. I was worried it might be a passing phase thing but nope, they are awesome. And we both hate the dark colour we have now. But this will be a future thing.

– the "front garden": we don't have a front garden, but we do have a patch of dirt that is, seeing as I finally weeded it last week, just that: a patch of dirt. The plan is to mulch it, and then use the vintage factory wooden boxes that we've had for ages as plant boxes, and grow some flowers. Really excited about this one! Might even try growing herbs and vegetables, using appropriate boxes for that of course.

– clothes storage: I am looking into put clothes racks high up along the ceiling, so I can double our (very limited) clothes storage space. Not as straight forward as it sounds when you are bound by plasterboard walls but we'll sort it out.

– general sprucage: exactly as that sounds, generally doing those small things there and there that make a big difference. Excited! deco-mirror home-nove a home-nove b new-planties a new-planties b

9 comments:

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Oh i like your little desk/office space. Much more organised than mine! I have a bit of an issue with clothes storage too. Something to do with not having enough hanging space and all the clothes overflowing out of an ironing basket instead. And, I keep buying more! I'll have to do something soon, because it's like a scene from clueless everytime I go looking for a shirt.

Amber Jade said...

That blue/purple dress hanging in that first picture is possibly the most beautiful dress I have ever seen.

Good luck with all of your planned projects! I'm spending the next few days moving house and the kids have just started their school holidays so I'll be very busy over the next few weeks myself!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Sounds like a lot to do, but I am sure you will get there :)) Wedding excitement!! The blue in your bathroom sounds really lovely!! xx

Sarah said...

I love reading these house-posts and seeing pictures of your home!
It's also good motivation for me to get up and start working on my own home again!
My husband and I have been working on it for 2,5 years now (it was in pretty bad shape when we bought it, so it needs a lot of TLC), so we've become a little DIY-tired.. So it's good to get motivated again!

And even I am getting excited about your wedding!!!
I am sure that day will come much sooner then you think!
You'll both have a wonderful time, I'm sure of it!

XO
Sarah
(aka OldeSarah)

Babes in Thriftland said...

I'm going to FL this year for Christmas and instead of my normal below freezing Christmas, it's going to be about 85F. Any suggestions on how to be festive for the holidays but in warm weather? I thought you would be a perfect person to ask!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Please post photos if/when you put additional clothing racks higher up, I'd love to see that, as I do have limited space and wardrobe that always "mysteriously" seems to keep multiplying! :)

♥ Jessica

Elke said...

and after all that... a wedding :) No, seriously, that is a huge list. I wish you lots of strength and courage, and wisdom to be perfectionistic at the appropriate time. Here is a very similar huge list that seems to get longer every time we get something done :/

Fräulein K. said...

long to do list. but you will make it all ;)

esme and the laneway said...

Natalie_vintage_girl : hehe it's funny how the clothes seem to multiply..! THe desk needs to be a million times more organised but it's gonna get there!

Amber Jade : thanks Oh that's a LOT you've got going on! Good luck! x

The Dainty Dolls House: we will give it a good go! Whoop!

Sarah So understand the DIY tired thing! I bet your place is beautiful! And yes, the Big Day is getting So Close! :D

Babes in Thriftland : haha well, I should be, but I don't know! Florida sounds like it would be beautiful, all warm and beachy and nice? Melbourne almost always does a cold rainy Xmas day (?!) and most of the ones I've had here included hail storms... I think if you can enjoy the beach and a party, enjoy that! :D

Jessica Cangiano : oh I will, I really do need to make it happen! And haha yes these mysterious multiplying clothes of ours, I just don't know ;D

Elke : thank you! And so true re. the perfectionist bit, it is ridiculous when it holds everything back isn't it! And the lists never do end, do they?! I kind of like a work in progress though – as long as I can see the progress! :D

Fräulein K. : we will give it a very good shot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...