Tuesday, 17 December 2013

my current foundation favourites for pale skin

skin-makeup-pale-foundation a I get asked quite a lot about what I use as a base on my pale skin and as I hadn't done a post about my makeup for a while, I thought one was due! These are my current basics that I use everyday and have been using for a while.

skin-makeup-pale-concealer a Concealer: I use the Laura Mercier concealer in the palest shade on just the inner corner of my eyes, on the little purple triangle-y things. This product lasts so long that I am still on my first pot, even though I bought this ages ago. So long ago that it must be time to replace it, but it still seems fine. And I only ever use a brush and I keep my brushes very clean, so..! Speaking of brushes, I prefer to use a lip brush for my concealer as I find the smaller, firmer but flexible bristles best for getting in there. I love this concealer, the coverage is good and it is nice and creamy and long wearing. I would buy it again and it gets 9.5/10 – almost perfect but I do wonder if dream concealer is out there somewhere. I also don't use this under my eyes as a more brightening concealer, and am still looking for a great product for that – I find this one doesn't blend perfectly on larger areas. Just got a new one yesterday so I will let you know how that goes!

skin-makeup-pale-sunscreen a Sunscreen: Olay SPF30, mostly in the sensitive version. I've been using this for years, and while smothering my face in sunscreen will never be a joyous thing, it doesn't irritate my skin and the moisturising effect is good enough, even on my dry skin. It also works well under my foundation, and after a few minutes I can use my liquid foundation over the top without it going scummy and gross. Which is a good thing. Also, this gives my skin a whitening/reflective effect in photos, which is fine if you want that, but be aware of it if you don't! This one gets 9/10 from me as, again, I still dream of the perfect product, but this is pretty close for me.

skin-makeup-pale-foundation b Foundation: Covergirl Trublend in 1 (405) I shook the bottle up halfway through taking these photos to make it easier to read the info on the bottle, but as you can see I am halfway through this one. I've been using this since late last summer/early Autumn this year, and it's the best I've found so far. I like that it is a drugstore product – always happier if a product is more affordable, obviously – and it is pretty good. It still, STILL is a tiny bit too dark, but overall the colour is pretty good, and the finish is really good. It lasts all day on me, even in warm weather, and only gets tired at the end of the day in the creases around my nose. It is my current everyday foundation but I am looking to find something with an even better colour match, and one that will work well when it actually gets hot this summer. I tried a tinted moisturiser (that calls itself a BB cream) that some friends of mine like but I didn't. I also got a new something yesterday that I will be trying and I'll let you know how that goes! While the Trublend is my current repeat-buy go-to, I still have hopes for a paler one! I give this one 8/10; like the above two, it's my staple, it's really very good, but it could be better! skin-makeup-pale-face a Powder: Essence compressed powder 02 Soft Beige. Yes, I chose a slightly darker shade! I want a warming, golden effect for summer, so this is basically my bronzer. Not joking! I've been watching lots of Betty Grable films lately and love that slightly golden glow on her still-fair skin. I only got this powder a week or so ago and as it is very cheap it was a kind of risk-worthy, split-second purchase, but I am loving it. Great matte finish, no clumpy cake face, no drying or cracking and the colour is good. Would definitely buy again! Of course, the real test for it will be the hot weather, but then again I don't think I want a matte face in 40C+, so I'll just see what happens.

And that is my current base essentials! I hope that was helpful – please let me know if it was. Also, I am thinking of writing about the products I've used that I have NOT liked – would you be interested? I've been on a bit of a makeup spree lately so have a few things to share, good and bad! Do let me know! And if you've any amazing products you want to share, please do! x

25 comments:

Alex Van den Broek said...

Could you perhaps do a post on your lipstick essentials? You have the prettiest colours!

Miss Louise said...

covergirl always has really nice foundations! I just bought their 3 in 1 the other day and I love it!

esme and the laneway said...

Alex Van den Broek : yes, definitely! Good idea!


Miss Louise: they are surprisingly good!

Paulette said...

Your skin always looks flawless, Marianne! As a fellow fair-skinned girl, it can be hard to find an exact match, especially when seasons change. I'll have a go at some of your suggestions!

Miss S said...

What do you use to apply your foundation? I've been reading up on the pros and cons of using sponges or brushes.

Victoria said...

If you don't mind spending a bit on a foundation if it matches, Bobbi Brown has a 00 Alabaster shade that works for me and I'm paler than the shades available in the drugstore. I use the Long-Wear Even Finish foundation because I tend to be more combination/oily, but they have some dry skin foundations that might work better for you. :)

Poppy Black said...

I would love to read about both good and bad. I have temperamental fair skin and have yet to find cover I am happy with.

Kalliopie said...

thanks for the post about your make up. like Alex Van den Broek id would be great to read somethink about lipstick essentials
xo

beate grigutsch said...

very interesting - i have pale skin too. i always have to buy my foundations in winter because in the summer makeup collections they use to make darker shades. in the drugstores.....
and i made very good experiences with the "essence" brand for eyeshadow and nailpolish. not bad for that price :-)

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

I use Revlon Colorstay foundation and truly adore it! Its very much like MAC Matchmasters in texture and coverage but much more affordable!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Your skin always looks radiantly luminous and just as gorgeous as gorgeous can be. It's a treat to know what products you use to help foster the wonderful complexion that Mother Nature blessed you with, dear gal.

♥ Jessica

Elke said...

how do you conceal your under eye area? i have bad blue bags (children and sleeping issues) that make me look so tired. you always look amazing :-)

esme and the laneway said...

Paulette : thanks – but I think that's the reflective effects of the sunscreen and nothing to do with nature! :) yay, hope they work for you too x


Miss S: at the moment, my fingers. I used a brush for a while and that works well too, but leaves brush marks that you need to blend away with, say, a sponge – or your fingers!


Victoria : thanks! I've heard good things about BB, but lately bad things too, such as testing on animals again...

Poppy Black : ok, I'll do both :) and oh, I feel your pain with temperamental skin..! :<

Kalliopie : I will do it early next week! A top three! x


beate grigutsch : that's interesting that they change it, I hadn't really thought of that. What about those of us who don't really tan?! :D And yes, Essence is surprisingly good for something so cheap!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage: I've not had much luck with anything Revlon, but I'll have a look. I don't really like MAC's skin makeup stuff either, tbh, but the colours are very good!

Jessica Cangiano : you are so sweet! But honestly, it's the reflective sunscreen in pics, my skin is not the most beautiful thing sadly :)

Elke : oh, gosh, no, me too. If I'm really bad I'll use two concealers (one Bobbi Brown's colour corrector and the Laura Mercier one on top) plus foundation, maybe the YSL under the outer corners if my skins no too too dry (goes crumbly if it is, and kind of grey?!). Also I eat more red meat and raw spinach if they start looking really dark and it helps massively. The sleep would be nice to fix wouldn't it! Sorry I can't help there – have been sleeping terribly for the last month or so because I'm worried but that'll pass in a few weeks x


Rebecca said...

Yay thanks for the great tips - your skin always looks amazing in your photos and it's great to see you are mostly just using drug store products! The moisturizer with SPF 30 is the best and is generally my go-to as well. :D

I need to rev up my make-up routine again. A magical undereye concealer would definitely not go amiss here either!

-Rebecca
mn2nz.wordpress.com

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I'm starting to really like the essence range. They are not bad for the price. I recently reviewed their liner.

I have pale skin too! and seem to find myself doing the same thing with the powder. I'm also finding that the little bit of extra time spent outside is tanning my skin a little. It's literally minutes before I find myself being burnt to a crisp

Jaimie said...

I love Natio products on fair skin. I find the BB cream is an excellent everyday foundation and the standard liquid foundation in their range is working well with my skin for fancy make up. Their colour palette suits suits my pink undertoned Scottish milkbottle tan perfectly. Most importantly of all, it's cruelty free!

IrishRedRose said...

I have accumulated quite a few foundations! I think you may want to try some of these, because I'm basically just as pale as you, with (I think) similar pinky undertones.

There are a couple of Chanel foundations which are exquisite. Expensive but I have actually finished bottles because they were SO good. So not a penny wasted.

These are Vitalumiere Ivoire (VERY pale) and 20 clair (darker pale), and Perfection Lumiere Beige Rose 12. The last is a bit dark for me in the bottle but looks fine on. The texture (due to silicone) of these foundations is pretty amazing and they smell nice and last, too. I like the way Perfection Lumiere colors are divided into yellow-based and pink-based shades. There's a mild sunscreen in both these Chanels which has miraculously never bugged my skin.

Also:
Yes, the CG TruBlend is good! But CG Clean Makeup in 205 Ivory is even paler than either of the two lightest TruBlends. It is thicker and must be smacked out of the bottle, but no dripping is fine by me. It doesn't feel thick or cakey on. It's good for sensitive skin too--no sunscreen or perfume.

I LOVE Revlon Photoready. Their Ivory is also paler than Trublend and goes on very smoothly and evenly. The sunscreen isn't irritating. Sally Hansen Natural Beauty in porcelain is really excellent. All these three are more pink undertoned than yellow. No sunscreen in the Sally Hansen.

Nars--possibly the palest foundations around. Mont Blanc is more pink undertoned and Siberia is yellow-based and SUPER pale. They don't have sunscreens.

Lancome makes one I really love also, Teint Miracle. I use Ivoire 1 and you probably would too. A saleslady once convinced me to try Ivory 2 but it's a wee bit too dark! There's a mild sunscreen.

So yes, I am a foundation nut. But it's hard finding one that matches when you are this pale! I have been known to add a dab of Manic Panic pure white (or some similar goth type makeup) to a good foundation that's not pale enough. So far no lethal chemical reactions, LOL!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Very lovely doll! I like pale skin. Though i have tanned skin, I'm mixed race, so it's not so easy finding something in between that works best, I usually have to mix something :) Revlon has worked ok for me, but it can be a bit heavy some times. There is a line called 'Dainty Doll' for pale skins that is meant to be quite good :) x

Elke said...

thank you!

esme and the laneway said...

Rebecca : oh, for an awesome under eye concealer! You'd think there'd be one by now!

Natalie_vintage_girl : yes the Essence stuff I've used (powder, eyeshadows as eyebrow powder and their actual eyebrow powders) have been really really good. Thumbs up – and more money to spend on lipstick, where I do spend much more cash for good quality!

Jaimie : I've heard so many people loving Natio! Their mascara and liquid liner are meant to be amazing, but sadly I am massively allergic to them :< I haven't tried their BB cream and it does sound amazing, but I am a bit scared I'd be allergic to that too... v tempted, though. And the cruelty-free bit is v. good. I can't believe products are being tested on animals in 2013. And that some companies that used to not test on animals now do. Ugh ugh ugh.

IrishRedRose : wow this is an incredible list, thank you! Will definitely try them out as and when I can. I have tried the Chanel Vitalumiere and loved the consistency but it was a tad too dark. Also I find that yellow-based works better on me, as the pink ones look darker and pinker when on my skin – I have freckles and rosy-white skin, so I seem to fall into a more neautral base. I love NARS powders but they are so expensive here (the powder was pushing $100 or something like that! The Chanel foundation was c. $100 too, ouch) I'll also look out for the Manic Panic pure white – sounds v. useful!

The Dainty Dolls House: thanks! I was wondering about what ranges were like for darker skins too. It seems foundations lines are all too often too narrow, and cater for such a limited range, I just don't get it! I'll have a look for Dainty Doll, thanks for the tip! x

Elke: my pleasure – but early signs are the one I'm trying isn't amazing... :<

Katie said...

Thank-you so much for mentioning the Olay moisturiser with sunscreen! I've been hunting in vain for something to replace the Neutrogena product I used up until they "improved" it by making it heavy, greasy and smelly. The Olay moisturiser fits the bill perfectly. Thank-you.

esme and the laneway said...

Katie : oh that's brilliant news! So glad it works for you too! :D

Marianna Chalkiadaki said...

Very very interesting post, I also think you should make a post about lipsticks!

Lots of love from Greece,
Marianne (yes, we have the same name!)

Vanessa said...

I had to have a little giggle when I read this, because you and I have almost exactly the same foundation routine. I also use the same Covergirl foundation in the same shade, and I'm addicted to that Olay sunscreen. I use Benefit's Erase Paste on my eyes.
For a lighter finish, I love BB creams. I've found that a lot of the western brands are too dark for me, so I've taken to buying mine from Japanese or Korean stores. The Face Shop's BB creams are my current favourite.

Jessika said...

I use the exact same Cover Girl foundation, same number and all. Typically, I try to steer clear of Cover Girl just because of the simple fact that it always has a sort of menthalated kind of smell about it?? Which might just be me but it definitely turns me off. I do NOT like smelling my make-up, it's just weird. But funny enough, a friend of mine bought this foundation to make her really pale for a past Halloween costume(!!!) and I ended up loving it and I've been loyal to it ever since!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...