Thursday, 5 December 2013

vintage brooches, earrings and hat pins; something old and something new

vintage-sparklies a I walked past a shop window last week and something sparkly caught my eye – well, actually, lots of sparkly somethings! These vintage pretties were in an op shop window and I went back there today to get a closer look, and to see if they were even still there. And they were! vintage-sparklies e I love old sparklies but don't find them very often at all, and they always drop down the list of things I'd seek out. I love brooches in particular, and earrings that I can wear in my hair. vintage-sparklies c I found this pair of screw on earrings and they are in great condition, with all stones intact. I love them as earrings, but I can't feel them on my ear lobes so I wouldn't know if one (or both!) fell off, and I hardly need to develop the new bad habit of constantly touching my ears to check they are still there! vintage-sparklies g I love love LOVE this long brooch. So glamorous! I can't wait to wear it on an evening out. It has lived life quite well so far but I don't mind that at all, it just encourages me to make sure I show it some good evenings too! vintage-sparklies d How sweet is this painted enamel – I think? – brooch? I think I'd like to wear it on one of my soft vintage cashmere cardigans on our colder days... which could be this week, you know. Yep, first week of summer and we're having snow not so far away! Of course there's no snow in Melbourne, we just get the cold and hail, booooo to that! Not the cold so much though; right now I am cooking up a pea and ham soup and it smells amazing. vintage-sparklies f This delicate filagree brooch has some colour on some of the segments. I love how fragile it is. vintage-sparklies h And, a hat pin! Always want to wear more hats. Always. Never enough. Top of that list now!

Depending on how I do my hair on the day, I might wear some of these in my hair for the wedding. I think the "something old" of the rhyme will be well and truly covered! Actually, the "something new" might be the biggest challenge. And I am rather proud of that! I'll have to have a good think for something to take care of that bit.

I've been planning away for the wedding, and ticking things off the list. It's been really fun and I just want to plan more parties now! Who knew it could be so much fun?! I honestly thought it would be a bit of a bore but no, it's been heavenly. I guess it takes a little time to warm up the romance in this cynical old goat. But it really has been the best! I have a few more things to sort out of course, and I am enjoying each and every detail. And then I will be a wife in the New Year..!

10 comments:

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

lovely stuff.

Rebel From The Past said...

That is some beautiful jewelry. I also love brooches the most, they are an instant outfit changer. Congratulations on the wedding. I can't wait to see how amazing you will look!

Alli said...

Wedding getting closer....yay!!! It's so exciting planning isn't it? :) And those trinkets that you found on your op shop hunt are gorgeous! I love old earrings....especially the screw on ones :)

Miss Louise said...

lovely post! I have a lot of vintage pins that were passed down to me, but I don't wear them enough! This post has given me the motivation to wear them more often and to do more vintage shopping :)

Melanie Y said...

I love that you bought ALL the shiny things in the shop. I LOVE brooches, and I've just cut my hair super pixie short so I'm hoping to get into bobby pins with cut things on them. I'm keen to see how you wear the earrings in your hair - I can't quite picture it.

Katie said...

New undies!

esme and the laneway said...

Rebel From The Past : thanks :) And eee I hope so :O :D

Melanie Y : I got a lot but I left more behind, too! definitely a bit of a treasure trove:D I've got an ooooold pic from years ago on here with earrings in my hair, and I'll do some more soon. Maybe tomorrow! x

Katie : yes! I realised that today haha, perfect excuse for some lingerie shopping! x

The Dainty Dolls House said...

These are stunning doll, I do love vintage jewelry pieces...and I agree with the above...new undies..great excuse for stunning lingerie :) x

Jessica Cangiano said...

Splendidly pretty pieces! Brooches have risen to become my favourite item of vintage jewelry in recent years (once I discovered that, unlike most jewelry with metal - much of which often contains nickel which I'm woefully allergic to - I could wear brooches by putting at least a couple of layers of clothing between the metal of the brooch and my skin).

♥ Jessica

laura redburn said...

oh i love old sparkly pretties! i especially like brooches too. i often use old earrings as brooches ..why not!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...