Monday, 6 January 2014

2014

roses january 2014 Happy New Year! Wow, 2014? I hope you're having a good start to this new year.

First of all: thank you SO MUCH for all your kind words on John and my wedding. It was so amazing to be able to share such a special thing with you, one I had never thought or known that I would. I really appreciate it. I had no idea what being married would feel like – and it's amazing. I LOVE it! I can't wait to share more of it with you as I gather my thoughts – and my pictures! – of it all. I also really cannot wait to share the wedding photos. I've seen a few things already and they have completely blown us away, and John and I are really excited about seeing the first previews. I feel like I am sitting on a big egg and have an inkling of what's inside it, but it will still be a surprise.

I wasn't actually planning, or expecting, to take such a blog break during this summer break, but I needed it more than I realised. It's been really refreshing for me. I've had a chance to think about the year that's been, and the year to come, and to make lots of plans and even dare to dream about things I never thought would be possible. I am so, so excited for this year. There are so many things that will happen. I was also really sick with a cold that was about 2 sneezes away from the flu, which I got just after Christmas, and it is only really going away now. I had planned on spending a lot of this break doing very little but I ended up not really having much of a choice – but lots of sleeping and TV watching is not the worst way to spend a holiday! It's also been really cold here, so there was no real summer weather to miss out on.

Of course I made New Year resolutions, and of course I have to write them here:

– LEARN TO COOK: well, I can already cook, when I'm in the mood and put my mind to it, but this year I am going to really try a lot harder. Laziness is one of my worst traits, I think. I do most of the cooking at home (although John is an amazing, and naturally talented, cook) so I get the meals done, but this year I am going to give it all a lot more thought, and more time. Set tables, really good meals – and good photos of it, too. I will get recipes from all over the place, and pinterest will be an interesting one, as that will really set the standard high for any food photo styling! I look forward to this challenge for more than one reason...

– TAKE BETTER PHOTOS: again, my laziness: I've hit a point where I do my photos without thinking too much. I am happy with them now, but I want to push them further. I've been enjoying a kind of pared back, creamy (oh dear, brace yourself for my lack of technical terminology, haha!) and dreamlike aesthetic, with softer contrasts and colours, and I want to see if this is something that feeds into my photos.

– CLOTHES, STYLE I definitely got very lazy with my dressing over the last year, especially the second half. I wanted to enjoy more severe, cleaner and plainer styles last winter (in fact all the cold months) and for one reason or another I didn't often do it. I have been drawn to darker, plainer colder colours for months now, lots of black and greys and creams and whites and navy blues and dark greens, so after the next couple of months of summer I'd like to really get into this. Oh, and I have been meaning to find the perfect 1940's black skirt suit, with a shorter jacket (ok I'll take a great early 1950's one if I must) (my bravery!) since last Autumn. Will actually do something about that this year. I also want to really organise my clothes, and continue the paring back of the things I own, so that I only have things I truly love. When it's been warmer recently (seriously this summer has been COLD, and I actually had the heating on earlier!) I've been drawn to maxi dresses and 1930's styles, and I want to being collecting the beautiful 1930s dresses I've always loved but never before believed I could wear outside. Finally, I will step away from wearing vintage when I feel like it! I know that for many vintage lovers it can feel strange, even wrong, to do this, but that is just silly.

– NEW BLOG DESIGN I booked this in last year and it will take place before the summer is over. I cannot wait to have a blog layout I don't dread looking at (and leave behind those conniptions over bad alignment!) and have everything as I want it to be, rather than just making do. Lots of white, and grey, and clean spaces. Large images, easy-to-find categories. New style. And a new approach to it all..., which leads us to

– BEING BRAVE I want to write a braver blog this year. To learn that the pressure to always be upbeat comes from me, and I don't have to bow to it. A lot of people have told me that they feel happy after they visit my blog and this is the nicest thing ever to hear. I dream to write a blog that is uplifting and inspiring and lighthearted, but also one that is a real reflection of my life, and the way I live, in Melbourne. Oh and about frivolity, too. There is a line between that and banality but joyous fun things will be celebrated! Being brave will also mean...

– BIG PROJECT which I plan to have up abd going very soon! Scary, unbelievable, important, and right for me now.

– RUNNING has been something I am so proud of (and so stunned) and I still absolutely cannot believe that last year I actually got off the couch and got to running 5km. I can't imagine not running now. The endorphin rush for one thing is pretty damn good! I also love the clear headedness and knowing that I am doing something good for my health. This year I want to improve my pace, and then I can see if I want to get up to 10km. I also MUST run in Melbourne's beauty spots, too!

– TAN ok so this is a bit amusing for me to admit, but I really, really want to see what I look like with a fake tan. I've never tried it and I just think that now is the time! My cold included a rash on my arms, hands and legs, and swollen hands and feet (I haven't recognised my hands for over a week now) but when I am back to normal I will be looking into this one..!

– HOME I am going to make our home a nicer place to be! It has got kind of out of control over the past 6 or so months. We started on the bathroom before Christmas but couldn't do anything else over the holidays, so we'll have to chip away at it. It will be just so nice to have an orderly, calming place to call home.

– TRAVEL so much more travel this year. We have booked a trip to Europe and it would be amazing to go to New York for Christmas! And while we're there, perhaps get over to California, too. I've been to both but it would be John's first time in the US, and we know he'd love it. And, once we've flown all that way..! Better start saving like crazy right this second, then.

And wow, that is quite a lot! As much as I relished and cherished the time off, I've really missed blogging. I can't wait to dive back in, and swim into fresher waters with it. I've missed you and I am glad to be back.

16 comments:

Johanna Retrolover said...

GREAT resolutions! If you ever do redesign the blog, please put up an archive as well. Would be sensationally fun to read everything from start to present! :)

Fräulein K. said...

you plan a lot stuff, but i'm shure you will make it

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Glad you're back doll & I hope the remainder of your cold vanishes for you. Am very happy for your wedding, you look marvellous & I'm excited to see more of it as well, no doubt they are stunning pictures. I hope you achieve all of your goals as well, I have yet to get mine down, they've just been floating in my head at the moment. Have a wonderful and exciting New Year xx

Vickie said...

sounds awesome & exciting - hope this year brings lots of good into your life :)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Stellar list of well thought out goals, dreams and plans. There are some on here, such as being braver (in my case, learning to ask for what I want more often, something I've never, ever been good at) and hopefully revamping my blog design, that are on my list for 2014 as well.

Wishing the very best with each and every one of these goals, dear gal!

♥ Jessica

Elke said...

that is a very big newyears resolution :-) but it's a good thing to evaluate what you do now and again... i'm so looking forward to read about the changes you're going to make. your blog is such an inspiration!

Katie said...

Great read- I know what you mean about being brave- just did a 'warts and all' post here http://londonplinth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/2014-first-page-of-new-diary.html Really want to sort my blog layout too!

lis said...

Congratulations on your wedding!! Best wishes to you and your hubby!! :)

Rebecca said...

Congrats on your wedding (can't wait to see more photos!) and good luck with all your goals (I set some big ambitious goals this year too and I am a little worried I may have overdone it! Eek!). :D I look forward to seeing the upcoming changes and projects this year on your blog!

-Regards,
Rebecca
mn2nz.wordpress.com

Debs said...

Oh yes I would love you to put up an archive too. A couple of years ago, when I first started reading your blog, I went back to the start but it took a while to find my way back to your first posts.
What wonderful new year resolutions! I haven't made any official ones, but I do have ideas lurking in the back of my mind.
I can't wait to see and hear about the changes you're making.
Love to both you and John
xxx
Debs
ps. The boots I bought from you have literally been loved to death. I've worn them so much that they fell apart. Oh how I miss them.

Alexandra Marie said...

Oh my, if you make it out to California I would love to meet you! Of course, I know you will be busy- but a girl can dream right? Haha. Excited to see the new blog design, and to follow your outfits this year! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

esme and the laneway said...

Johanna Retrolover : will do! x

The Dainty Dolls House : there's always a bit of floating, I think! And no harm in it, the gist is there x

Jessica Cangiano : being brave is so important – good luck to you too!

Rebecca : better to aim high and miss etc etc... why aim for something easy, right?! x

esme and the laneway said...

Katie : what a brilliant post x

The Black Opal said...

I am really glad you are feeling better!
I am also glad you have this blog. I've been following it almost since the beginning when you had light blonde hair the first time, and then went dark... Anyway, my life would not be the same if it wasn't for your blog. I know, it might sound a bit odd or not, but I feel that is ok. Your presence has always inspired me and encouraged to be creative and daring, to go with my own idea of vintage styling and expression. Where I live, there is not much personal style going on (Bay Area, California), so it is not easy sometimes...
So, thank you! And I am looking forward to the 2014 with your blog!

The Black Opal said...

I forgot to add: if you want to wear modern clothes -- do it! Why not? I used to try to wear vintage all the time, got rid of all (almost) of my modern stuff and got bored. So, now I got some rather nice modern things at my local thrift store and it is fun to mix and match here and there. I think it adds to more fun in the closet, makes outfits interesting and unique. Sometimes I go completely vintage and sometimes completely modern and in-between.

esme and the laneway said...

The Black Opal : thank you so, so much – that is such an amazing comment to get. It's the best feeling to think that my little blog can have such a good impact, especially on the other side of the world! xxxxxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...