First of all: thank you SO MUCH for all your kind words on John and my wedding. It was so amazing to be able to share such a special thing with you, one I had never thought or known that I would. I really appreciate it. I had no idea what being married would feel like – and it's amazing. I LOVE it! I can't wait to share more of it with you as I gather my thoughts – and my pictures! – of it all. I also really cannot wait to share the wedding photos. I've seen a few things already and they have completely blown us away, and John and I are really excited about seeing the first previews. I feel like I am sitting on a big egg and have an inkling of what's inside it, but it will still be a surprise.
I wasn't actually planning, or expecting, to take such a blog break during this summer break, but I needed it more than I realised. It's been really refreshing for me. I've had a chance to think about the year that's been, and the year to come, and to make lots of plans and even dare to dream about things I never thought would be possible. I am so, so excited for this year. There are so many things that will happen. I was also really sick with a cold that was about 2 sneezes away from the flu, which I got just after Christmas, and it is only really going away now. I had planned on spending a lot of this break doing very little but I ended up not really having much of a choice – but lots of sleeping and TV watching is not the worst way to spend a holiday! It's also been really cold here, so there was no real summer weather to miss out on.
Of course I made New Year resolutions, and of course I have to write them here:
– LEARN TO COOK: well, I can already cook, when I'm in the mood and put my mind to it, but this year I am going to really try a lot harder. Laziness is one of my worst traits, I think. I do most of the cooking at home (although John is an amazing, and naturally talented, cook) so I get the meals done, but this year I am going to give it all a lot more thought, and more time. Set tables, really good meals – and good photos of it, too. I will get recipes from all over the place, and pinterest will be an interesting one, as that will really set the standard high for any food photo styling! I look forward to this challenge for more than one reason...
– TAKE BETTER PHOTOS: again, my laziness: I've hit a point where I do my photos without thinking too much. I am happy with them now, but I want to push them further. I've been enjoying a kind of pared back, creamy (oh dear, brace yourself for my lack of technical terminology, haha!) and dreamlike aesthetic, with softer contrasts and colours, and I want to see if this is something that feeds into my photos.
– CLOTHES, STYLE I definitely got very lazy with my dressing over the last year, especially the second half. I wanted to enjoy more severe, cleaner and plainer styles last winter (in fact all the cold months) and for one reason or another I didn't often do it. I have been drawn to darker, plainer colder colours for months now, lots of black and greys and creams and whites and navy blues and dark greens, so after the next couple of months of summer I'd like to really get into this. Oh, and I have been meaning to find the perfect 1940's black skirt suit, with a shorter jacket (ok I'll take a great early 1950's one if I must) (my bravery!) since last Autumn. Will actually do something about that this year. I also want to really organise my clothes, and continue the paring back of the things I own, so that I only have things I truly love. When it's been warmer recently (seriously this summer has been COLD, and I actually had the heating on earlier!) I've been drawn to maxi dresses and 1930's styles, and I want to being collecting the beautiful 1930s dresses I've always loved but never before believed I could wear outside. Finally, I will step away from wearing vintage when I feel like it! I know that for many vintage lovers it can feel strange, even wrong, to do this, but that is just silly.
– NEW BLOG DESIGN I booked this in last year and it will take place before the summer is over. I cannot wait to have a blog layout I don't dread looking at (and leave behind those conniptions over bad alignment!) and have everything as I want it to be, rather than just making do. Lots of white, and grey, and clean spaces. Large images, easy-to-find categories. New style. And a new approach to it all..., which leads us to
– BEING BRAVE I want to write a braver blog this year. To learn that the pressure to always be upbeat comes from me, and I don't have to bow to it. A lot of people have told me that they feel happy after they visit my blog and this is the nicest thing ever to hear. I dream to write a blog that is uplifting and inspiring and lighthearted, but also one that is a real reflection of my life, and the way I live, in Melbourne. Oh and about frivolity, too. There is a line between that and banality but joyous fun things will be celebrated! Being brave will also mean...
– BIG PROJECT which I plan to have up abd going very soon! Scary, unbelievable, important, and right for me now.
– RUNNING has been something I am so proud of (and so stunned) and I still absolutely cannot believe that last year I actually got off the couch and got to running 5km. I can't imagine not running now. The endorphin rush for one thing is pretty damn good! I also love the clear headedness and knowing that I am doing something good for my health. This year I want to improve my pace, and then I can see if I want to get up to 10km. I also MUST run in Melbourne's beauty spots, too!
– TAN ok so this is a bit amusing for me to admit, but I really, really want to see what I look like with a fake tan. I've never tried it and I just think that now is the time! My cold included a rash on my arms, hands and legs, and swollen hands and feet (I haven't recognised my hands for over a week now) but when I am back to normal I will be looking into this one..!
– HOME I am going to make our home a nicer place to be! It has got kind of out of control over the past 6 or so months. We started on the bathroom before Christmas but couldn't do anything else over the holidays, so we'll have to chip away at it. It will be just so nice to have an orderly, calming place to call home.
– TRAVEL so much more travel this year. We have booked a trip to Europe and it would be amazing to go to New York for Christmas! And while we're there, perhaps get over to California, too. I've been to both but it would be John's first time in the US, and we know he'd love it. And, once we've flown all that way..! Better start saving like crazy right this second, then.
And wow, that is quite a lot! As much as I relished and cherished the time off, I've really missed blogging. I can't wait to dive back in, and swim into fresher waters with it. I've missed you and I am glad to be back.