Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Christmas 2013

drinks-tray Some pictures from my Christmas 2013. We spent Christmas Eve and and Christmas Day at my – now it's official when I say it! – mother-in-law's house, with lots of family, food and noisy fun. I used to find these family events quite overwhelming, as they really are loud, there's a lot of people – some of whom we don't see that often – and there is also quite a lot of work. All those dishes don't wash themselves! On top of that, John and I were taking care of all the final wedding preparations, trying to get everything done around all sorts of schedules. And that was stressful, to say the least! Yet, after 10 years, I know find I really enjoy these big family gatherings. I look forward to them. I actually relish all the chaos and different faces and different opinions. I'm also now not shy, whereas I used to be sometimes painfully so. That I can enjoy all of this, and can feel I've made so much progress in lots of ways, is something I am really grateful for. (Even if sometimes it drives me round the bend!) And now I am officially one of them! Not having a family of my own complicates and changes things hugely, but I am so chuffed to have found a group that is a home. A noisy, busy and very well-fed one!

The two days were filled with food – the best lasagna EVER – football, bocce, talking, laughing, a few tears, and plenty of treats. Perfect. windowsill whiskey-a-go-go throw the bocce ball sunset kitchen sunset glasses production line lasagna hydrangeas goalie garden garden-tunnel garden sunset christmas hair flowers christmas day dress chicken door chickens bocce angel wings

14 comments:

The girl in oslo said...

Looks like you had a really great christmas :)

Tessa and Scarlett said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas! I love your hair in the pictures, by the way!

tessaandscarlett.blogspot.ca

Lornas wishing well said...

Lovely photographs! x

http://lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

ButterandBuntings said...

Such lovely photos! The sunshine was perfect on Christmas day! Your dress is amazing too by the way. Taz Butter and Buntings

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Super beautiful doll, am pleased you have found a space :))) xx

geehawkes said...

Looks like you had a lovely time :)! you look beautiful as ever lady! xx
fiveonecouture.blogspot.co.uk

let us wanderlust said...

Hi Marianne! I have been an avid reader of your blog for some time now, but this is my first comment. I'm so glad I discovered your blog!! I adore your photography, styling and poetic words. I'm from Australia too but currently travelling abroad and your beautiful family Christmas makes me miss home. I wish you all the very best for 2014! And congratulations on your marriage - I wish you every kind of happiness for the rest of your lives together. Oops I have written a mini essay instead of a succinct comment. I really just wanted to say that I think you and your blog are, quite simply, wonderful!!
Carly xx
www.letuswanderlust.blogpost.com.au

Jessica Cangiano said...

Hydrangeas at Christmas, that seems so magnificently lovely! I swear, I have to hop over the hemisphere one of these years for the winter holidays. I'd love to see fresh blooms (aside from just poinsettias, fab as they are) for Christmas, too.

It really looks like you guys had a marvelous holiday season. So happy for you!

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

Tessa and Scarlett – thanks – it was emergency no-curls hair but I like it too :D

The Dainty Dolls House : took my sweet time but I eventually got there! x

ButterandBuntings : wasn't it! Not too hot, not too cold, goldilocks here was v happy :D

let us wanderlust : Carly, thank you so much – this comment is so amazing to receive. I hope you enjoy your travels and don't miss home too much, it'll still be here after fun OS! :D thanks again, this was really touching to recieve xxx

Kirsten said...

Suvh beautiful blog, and your pictures are amazing! Check out my blog The Gift Of Thrift at http://www.thegiftofthrift.net

Debs said...

How wonderful. My family is spread all over the country so big family get togethers are rare. I do miss them. However our quiet little Christmases' with just the three of us are always special.

Nomad said...

Love your dress! Hope you had a good time :) x

Amy said...

This is a beautiful post. You've really captured the essence of Christmas through your photographs.

I think we sometimes forget that Christmas is a time for loved ones more than it is a time for prezzies. Sure, gifts are fun and add a sprinkle of excitement but being able to spend it with people who love you for you makes it so very special!

I always look forward to your posts!

♥ Amy

esme and the laneway said...

Debs : oh they must be so different from one another, going from super-busy-family ones to quiet ones. I'm glad you enjoy the quieter ones too – I guess the trade off is you can do more or less whatever you want all through it! :D

Nomad : thank you! It was even nicer than I expected :)

Amy : thanks very much :) I actually kind of forget about the presents thing, I think because I "treat" myself to things all year round and so does everyone else we know :D that said, I'd love to be a bit more organised next year and give gifts. Just something small and thoughtful... x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...