Thursday, 16 January 2014

finding pleasant surprises and the things you'd forgotten about

back-of-door a Phew, today is a hot one. It's lunchtime and apparently it's only (ha!) 41C so far – we're heading for 44C! We've also been warned to use as little electricity as possible and there are power outages in nearby suburbs... I really hope we don't lose power! I went to the shops early this morning to get a few groceries and they only had a few lights on. Shopping in the gloom was really eerie but because they still had the music on it was almost like a club, and not at all bad! Two more days of this heatwave to go. That's doable!

One of the things I've been doing this week – slowly, in bursts, then drinking a glass of coldish water (the water comes out warm from the pipes when it's this hot) – is a huge HUGE tidy up at home. Total re-organisation. I'm tackling it in sections, doing a bit here, a bit there. I made a start on the mint green bedroom where I keep my clothes on racks that are determined to lean to the left or the right but never stay up straight. To manage the temperature I've been keeping all the doors, which are usually open, closed, and when I closed the bedroom door behind me I saw some things I haven't seen for ages, and had almost forgotten about. On the piggy hook that was already in place when we moved in was a 1940's dress that I've had for years but is beyond repair, and I keep because I love the colours and print – it is one of my favourite prints and colourings ever. Then there is my dark green vintage coat hanger. I love these so much and would love to find more of them, and I really should have this one out on display a bit more! Hanging from that is a 1950s half petticoat, and then some beautiful crochet (or tatting? I don't know) that I used to pin my brooches to. I still have two on there, including this lovely, sparkly peacock, a gift from a friend years ago. I think peacock needs a lot more outings – and with those stones he'll obviously go with just about anything! I've been more into gold lately, so I think the time is right. I also have the flower crown I made in 2010 (? I think? And OMG that's gone fast!) that I love, but Babycat loved even more and plucked some of the petals off. I wonder if I'll ever fix them up and wear it again?

Do you have any forgotten goodies at home, things that get a bit out of sight and out of mind? dress-wall vintage-coat-hanger a flower-crown a flower-crown b piggy-hook vintage-crochet vintage-peacock-brooch

16 comments:

Rosa Nguyen said...

The Aussie Weather is being quite cruel isn't it, and its reaching the midpoint of summer. I heard Melbourne and Adelaide are getting the worst of it. And the same with me, if I never close my door, I forget whatever it was that I hang on my heart hooks. Usually it's pieces of clothing (dresses mostly) that I've worn once and decided to hang it up so I can wear it again before washing it. But let's not forget the endless accessories I have that I messily keep in one large draw.... some of them haven't been worn for years.

www.rosa-dyn.com

Lucy In The Sky said...

Hasn't it been so hot? The water is coming out of the taps warm up north here too. We are expecting 45 degrees tomorrow. Need to hit the beach!
What a pleasant little surprise to find! I've found some things myself - I've been cleaning out more closets and found some sweet little things I'd almost forgotten about. I love the print and colour of that 1940's dress. It is a shame that it is beyond repair. And what a good idea for storing brooches!

Tessa and Scarlett said...

Wow, so hot! When we get to about 30C, everyone is complaining already, haha. And yes, that happens to me too, finding things that I've completely forgotten about and when I find it, it's like new to me again!

beate grigutsch said...

good morning!
that color f the dress is gorgeous - maybe yo can use the skirt only?
i have some "bodies" in the mending box in my sewing room - already forgot what exactly. ts. have to use this dark winter days for some work in that direction. thanks for remembering!

p.s.: the shawl thing-y is knitted.
pretty peacock!

laura redburn said...

oh that dress is an absolute dream! perfect colour and pattern.

Natasha said...

I do sometimes find things at the back of my closet that I forgot about or couldn't find. Sometimes I also dream that I discover things I'd forgotten about, but then I realise they don't exist when I wake up.

Alexandra Marie said...

It's such a shame that the pink 40s dress can't be salvaged, it looks absolutely gorgeous! I love it when I find treasures that slipped my mind- it's like Christmas! Alex

http://tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com/

Fashionista said...

I do love a wardrobe rearrangement to discover forgotten treasures.

Your lovely little scrap that your brooches are pinned on is either crocheted or knitted. What a pretty idea that I think I will shamelessly plaugarise :)

goldstarsfortulip said...

Whenever I see this pink dress in your photos, I always wonder if it's my old dress that I gave away to the Salvos. Does it have long wound repair stitches on the skirt?

esme and the laneway said...

Rosa Nguyen : it's been really brutal! Yep, accessories always seem so easy to forget about :)


Lucy In The Sky : I can't wait for the cool change to hit! Oh that's the best when you clean out a closet and find something great again, awesome!

Tessa and Scarlett : last night it didn't get below 29C :< yuck. Yes, they do feel like new, and it's soooo good!

beate grigutsch : that's a good idea/ I'll have another look but the fabric is pretty damaged so I'm not too hopeful :) Knitted? Oh cool, thanks!


laura redburn : if only it was wearable! :O

Natasha : oh, yes, the disappointed-to-wake-up-from dreams! Definitely!


Alexandra Marie : yes it's true!

Elke said...

40C, that's so hot! i hope you can find ways to stay cool and refreshed! i m almost happy that it s winter(ish). i always find treasures when i change my wardrobe from summer to winter and back. and there are lost things that i still hope to find... i love the crochet broche hanger idea, though. that helps to keep things together and unlost :-)

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I wish we had just a touch of the Aussie weather, I miss the sunshine & warmth so much & I'll send you some cool winds om Scotland...deal!?! ;-) Shame about the dress, I've had some like that. I found a lot in my wardrobe that I've forgotten about, it happens sometimes. That flower hair wreath is so pretty!! xx

esme and the laneway said...

Elke : we finally had a cool change, phew! That was not a lovely few days :< yes I should reinstate the crochet brooch hanger, it was really useful! And I am missing winter :) we don't really get to put away one season of clothing because our weather is so mixed!

The Dainty Dolls House : oh, deal, definitely! We had a spare 15C at least! x

Jessica Cangiano said...

That is crayon meltingly, wilt-your-energy-like-a-lettuce-leaf, massively warm. I've felt temps in the 40s a few times in my life and will never, ever forget them. In fact, I'd argue that they left more of an impression on me than those in the exact opposite (-40C) direction.

Please try to stay cool, drink tons of frosty beverages, and take life easy until the mercury decides to drop a little, dear gal.

♥ Jessica

genkitten said...

That pink dress is GORGEOUS! Wow.

esme and the laneway said...

Jessica Cangiano : thanks dear :) yes it was too too hot for me!

goldstarsfortulip : you know, I think it could well be!

genkitten: such a good print!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...