Tuesday, 14 January 2014

my skin care essentials

lush-beauty-products b Ok, here are my favourite – essential – skin care products right now. And you can see what my bathroom looked like just before Christmas, before we moved the deco mirror (it's in the living room now) and put in a shelf unit in the corner. So much better for storage!

Anyhoo, back in September (I think?) last year, Lush invited a group of bloggers to a store night in their Melbourne city shop and treated us all to quite a few products. I'd only used a couple of bath bombs before, yeeeeeears ago when I was still in London, and Lush wasn't really on my radar to be honest. I thought they were more for teenagers, and were all about bright colours and strong smells – which are fun, sure, but not necessarily for awesome everyday skin products. But I tired the products I took home and these four were absolute stand outs straight away. I've now gone and re-purchased all of these at least once and use them every day – they are an essential part of my skin care routine. They are all also the best at what they do that I've found yet, and they're on the cheaper side, too. I thought that while writing about gifted products that I think are great is all well and good, it's even better to share the ones I love so much I go out and buy them again (and again!) afterwards when they run out! So, here are the four I'm talking about: lush-beauty-products e Ultrabland Facial Cleanser

It's a super simple makeup remover and cleanser. I use it every night to take my makeup off. After I've removed my eye makeup, I massage this all over my face and then clean it off (usually in the shower) with a face cloth. It's a cream with a slightly gritty texture, and is so gentle AND gets all my makeup off. I can even use this around my eyes without a problem – although I don't know if you're meant to do that..! Before this I'd been using the same Dove cold cream style product for at least a year (probably more) and I loved that – but this is even better. Love it! lush-beauty-products d Celestial (face moisturiser)

This is another super simple and basic product and is great for my sensitive skin. I use it all over my face (not just on the drier bits) and it leaves my skin soft and smooth, and never blocks my pores or gives me spots. Absolutely love this. Big tick from me. lush-beauty-products f Herbalism Fresh Cleanser

This wasn't initially part of the goodie bag (at least I don't think it was!) but when I was at the store I was drawn to the beautiful green colour of this stuff (I'm not anti the bright colours!) (honestly, what is it with colours, I do this at Ikea too!) and had to know what it was. It's a cleanser for problem skin, and so I asked for it to be one of the three gifted products we could chose to take home. I was having breakouts on my back and after about a month, this completely cleared that up. I use it on my chest, as it can get quite bad, too, and while it hasn't cleared it up completely, it has made a massive improvement. I also use this on my upper arms as while they don't have spots etc, they just seem to really like it! It's kind of exfoliate-y from what's in there, so maybe that's why. One thing though: my face doesn't like this stuff. Chin down only. lush-beauty-products c Dream Cream Hand And Body Lotion

Designed for sensitive and troubled skin, this is meant to cool and soothe. I use this on my arms and chest and it is the best cream for this EVER. Again, my face doesn't like it but who cares, that's what Celestial is for! I ran out of this and couldn't replace it for a couple of weeks and really noticed my skin missing it. It smells fresh and clean and a bit lavender-y, which I really like, and definitely prefer that over strong floral-y scents. I think this is my third tub.

And that's it! Hope you found that helpful. Have you used any of these products? I really like doing these Tuesday makeup and beauty posts. As always, let me know if you have any questions, and also if you have any suggestions for topics for these beauty posts just pop them in the comments and I'll see what I can do! lush-beauty-products a

25 comments:

let us wanderlust said...

This is a fantastic post Marianne, thank you! I love hearing about what lovely ladies such as yourself are using :) one can never have too many tips when it comes to the beauty department (in my opinion!)! I'll definitely be trying out some Lush products when I return home from my travels! Hope you are having a lovely Tuesday! Carly xx

Lucy W said...

Wow, I'll look at Lush in a different way now! As a pale skinned, freckly natural redhead who has sensitive skin, these posts are useful!

Lila Wolff said...

I was given the celestial as a Christmas present and I don't think my skin has ever looked better. I'm definitely going to try the other products you've listed as I've had a hard time choosing (I have to order online).

Jessica Cangiano said...

Lush's products smell so incredibly enticing! I've never bought any because I have super sensitive skin that doesn't seem to handle scents, even many naturally derived ones, well, but I tell you, every time I pass one of their shops, I all but swoon from the sublime aroma wafting out from it.

How lovely that you received so many of their great offerings to try out and enjoy at home.

♥ Jessica

Toni-Louise said...

I've never tried any of Lush's skin products but after this post I may have to give them a go. I do use there sea salt hair shampoo which is absolutely perfect for my hair and lasts forever and a day. Thanks for sharing!

Amarië said...

Thank you for another helpful beauty post!
The last one about foundation helped me to find a new and so far best colour match foundation (the True Blend 405) for me. I too have the "cold undertones but freckles" mix on my face, making it hard to find a good match.

This post was also very helpful since I might try the Celestial face cream once my current one runs out. It is hard to get products I am used to from Europe in Japan but there is Lush here, so if this face cream feels good on me, I won't have to order the one I am using now or getting it mailed by friends.
The cleanser and body cream is also very interesting. I did recently buy the Sympathy for the Skin body and hand cream but haven't tried it out yet. The Dream one sounds also really good!

Cheers

Amarië said...

Thank you for another helpful beauty post!
The last one about foundation helped me to find a new and so far best colour match foundation (the True Blend 405) for me. I too have the "cold undertones but freckles" mix on my face, making it hard to find a good match.

This post was also very helpful since I might try the Celestial face cream once my current one runs out. It is hard to get products I am used to from Europe in Japan but there is Lush here, so if this face cream feels good on me, I won't have to order the one I am using now or getting it mailed by friends.
The cleanser and body cream is also very interesting. I did recently buy the Sympathy for the Skin body and hand cream but haven't tried it out yet. The Dream one sounds also really good!

Cheers

Gracie said...

One question Marianne, what kind of skin do you have? You mention it's sensitive so dry too? I might try the facial cleanser & celestial. I hope they're available in Ireland! Love these posts.

Maddison McConnell said...

Aw! I wish Lush could be more affordable for students! That seems like the perfect skincare! Ethical and delicious smelling!
I enjoy these posts too! xx

Maddison McConnell said...

Aw! I wish Lush could be more affordable for students! That seems like the perfect skincare! Ethical and delicious smelling!
I enjoy these posts too! xx

Mélodie Nicolle said...

I also love Luch products and it's sad that they are still so hard to find in France...I love your bathroom decoration, and the wood pieces are gorgeous!
xoxo
Melodie
http://sevenlivesandmore.blogspot.fr/

Hermania said...

I used Lovely Jubbelies for a while and it was AMAZING but I am kind of waiting to repurchase because it doesn't come cheap *sigh* I know I will get it again eventually though!

Anonymous said...

How much have you been paid for this one?

esme and the laneway said...

let us wanderlust : thanks Carly! I hope they are helpful :) And gosh I'm sah jealous of your travels, fun! :D

Lucy W : it was interesting how these changed my perception of them too. And wish I had the red hair, I just got the skin :D

Lila Wolff : oh I see, I hate buying these things online. Personally I think the ultrabland would be the next basic after the misturiser :) Glad you like the celestial too!

Jessica Cangiano : the smells from the shops would kind of put me off, tbh – nice, but very strong and I'm the same, hate using scented stuff on my skin! Was surprised to get such a generous goodie bag and even more surprised to like so much of it beyond the "oh nice" and then forget it kind of thing :)

Toni-Louise : what does the sea salt shampoo do, does it give good texture? :)

Amarië : oh that's so awesome, I'm so glad the foundation works for you! And buying products ooutside of where they're from, or easy to buy, is a pain – there's a lot of things we can't get here in Aus and it's annoying! I don't know what the Sympathy cream is like so let us know what you think if you do use it?


Gracie : ah, yes sensitive and dry! And sometimes a bit greasy on my T zone. I forgot to detail that :) Hope they work for you too if you do get them!

Maddison McConnell : glad you like the posts! I should have said they were cheaper when compared to the kind of Very Expensive Face Care (you know, the kind that match rent or mortgage repayments; I've friends that use them and their skin is amazing, but..!) that we are encouraged to buy as we get older, especially after we've turned 30 (I'm 32).

Sorry, don't know why some of the comments double up in blogspot, it's a bit strange! x


Mélodie Nicolle : thanks! It's funny, I always think of things being easy to find in France etc compared to here but of course that's not always true.

Hermania : oh is that the firming cream? I know, they can feel a bit splurge-y!

Anonymous : not one cent. No hidden gifts, no perks, nothing. As I say in my post, I was gifted these – as were all the other bloggers at the event – and tried them, and these were the ones I liked so much I now go to the shop and buy them, as they are what I use on my skin. Simple as that. If I am being paid for a post I say so at the start, so you can chose to skip the whole thing if you don't want to read it. I always write my honest opinions about these things regardless of whether they're sponsored or not. And I will write about things I love and use and will say what brand they are, and hope that it is clear that I am just sharing that info because that's what I want to blog about.

With this one I was a bit concerned that the products were all from the same brand, but they are what I use.

If it's any help, I've got a post on products I don't like in the works. I used to think that if I didn't have anything nice to say I wouldn't say anything at all, but I think it will be useful to share what products don't work for me, as well as the ones that do.

I hope that clears it up for you. I can only guess you weren't the only one thinking it, too.

Wild Tea Party said...

I love Lush - have been using it for a few years now. I tried their hair care first and totally fell in love. My hair has never been better and it's mermaid hair, so it used to take a hell of a lot of money and product to keep it looking 'ok-ish'. Now it's super shiny, strong and healthy.

Celestial is such a nice moisturiser - I've just switched back to it after finishing my pot of Gorgeous, which while being exxy, is amazing. I wish I had unlimited funds to always buy it. I also use Ultrabland (and yes, fine for around those eyes, I take my eye make-up off with it too). Lovely Jubblies is fantastic, it's one of my essentials. The skin on my chest feels fantastic.

And if you go to London make an appointment at the Lush Spa for The Comforter treatment. It's phenomenal. I've never felt so pampered and relaxed... ever.

Kalina said...

I love Lush skincare!
My fav products are:
Enchanted eye cream which is great and quite budget friendly as it comes in big 45 ml bottle which lasts forever
Fresh Farmacy soap which cleanses well and even removes the makeup
And Buche de Noel cleansing scrubby paste kinda thing which smells amazing and which they sadly only sell at christmas time:( But it's very similar to Angels on Bare Skin so i use that the rest of the year
Now i will have to give a try to the products you mentioned as your skin does look beautiful

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I haven't been to Lush in ages...only used some bath bombs. But, I have been looking at more of their items, I will have to give them a try. I use Soap & Glory at the moment and I love it so. But, when I'm in the city again, I'll pop into Lush and get a few bits to try!! Am glad these worked in some way for you doll. Hope you are well :) xx

Alli said...

Dream Cream is super stuff. I love the smell of it, and it was amazing on the dermatitis on my hands. Brilliant cream :)

Emma Cherry said...

I've never used Lush face products, but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their bath and soap range :)
If you believe in it Marianne, then I may have to try some for myself :D

Emma
(Dear Thirty)

Phoebe Limanta said...

It's so nice to see posts on Lush!

I've always loved their hair products but don't dare to try their skincare because my skin is pretty fickle!

I'm definitely intrigued and glad to read some posts on it :)

xo
Phoebe
www.eatliveloverepeat.com

esme and the laneway said...

Wild Tea Party : oh nice, I haven't tried any of their hair stuff, and my hair SO damaged now that it needs a lot of help! I might have to try something on your rec now, thanks! :D Is Gorgeous by Lush too? And I must try taking my eye makeup off with Ultrabland; I have to rinse my current remover off straight away or I get a bad reaction. I didn't know they had spas! I'm in London this coming March... tempted! :D

Kalina oh brill, thanks for the list! I don't have a fav eye cream so will check this one out when the ones I have now run out (trying to use up everything, hehe) and I really liked Angels on Bare Skin on my arms but it felt one step over what I wanted to spend, on top of everything else, so that will be a future treat for me. The Christmas one sounds good! And thanks re. my skin, but I think it's more my sunscreen making it look better in photos than it really is! :D x

The Dainty Dolls House : I've heard so much about Soap and Glory, and always good! Isn't it nice when you find something that really works?! :D

Alli : that's awesome! :D x


Emma Cherry : haha I do! I'm not so much a fan of the shower gels but am hooked on the skin care.


Phoebe Limanta : thanks – I'm really glad these kinds of posts are useful :) And another hair product fan, I want to try some now! And I will do more posts on beauty and makeup products. Every week is the plan :D

pete said...

i only use Lush products as well. My face used to be such a mess before I bought a bunch of Lush while in L.A one year. Now, I barely get breakouts or dry patches.
My entire skin routine consists of Lush products!

Wild Tea Party said...

Yep, Gorgeous is from Lush and is their most expensive product! The Lush staff are happy to give samples though of anything if you want to see how your skin reacts first (I tested before I bought it because my skin is sensitive too and it's a lot of money). And here's the description of the spa treatment, to tempt you further ;) http://bit.ly/1kD5nC5

esme and the laneway said...

pete : wow, that's a great recommendation!

Wild Tea Party: hehe thanks (although be careful, you might be mistaken for advertising, hehe) a lot of Aus places won't do samples here (I know, so bad) but I am curious about this Gorgeous cream now.

Little Nan said...

Love, love, love Lush!!! I swear by Dream Cream....on my face, its so lovely. I'm about to turn 40 and I really think that I look younger because of the Dream Cream! When I was in the UK last year I stumbled across the Lush Spa in Liverpool....good golly, so, so good! We need one in Melbourne!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...