Tuesday, 21 January 2014

the four makeup products that did not rock my world

products-a-no-no a I tried a number of makeup products towards the end of last year. Some were good, and some were... well, they were not for me. While I usually think the idea of if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all can often be a good thing to keep in mind, I thought it might be helpful to share my thoughts on the products that didn't really work for me. In makeup, as in life, it can't always be sunshine and rainbows! And these products might be perfect for you – these are just some specific details of what I found when I used them. lush-jackie-oats a Lush Jackie Oates Colour Supplement

As you can imagine after reading my glowing post on several Lush skin care products last week, I was really keen to try this. I so expected to like it. Cruelty free and designed for very fair colouring, I thought it would be an instant hit. Alas, no. I tried, I really did. I really wanted this to work. I tried with moisturiser, without, applying in my usual way, applying in tiny areas at a time... nothing worked. The colour is great, but the consistency isn't. My best efforts exhausted, and this was still lumpy, patchy and oily on my skin immediately after application, and then it only got worse. Boo! maybelline-BB-cream Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream and Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream

I got these last spring, thinking something a little lighter for summer coverage would be awesome. I actually just picked the blue one up on a whim when I was buying something boring (cotton wool, maybe?) from Priceline as I was so surprised that the colour was a pretty good match for me when I tried the tester on my hand. In fact I was so surprised I didn't bother reading tube properly until I got home, and saw that I had picked up the version for oily skin – not so good for my dry sensitive complexion! I gave it a go on my nose and quite liked it, so went and got the other one a few days later. And... they're not awful. Not at all. And I know at least one person who uses them and likes them. I just found that they didn't last very well on me. I also want a bit more coverage than they provide, so I won't get these again. bourjois-khol-liner Bourjois Khol and Contour

Oh, Bourjois. Really? Let me go back a step and tell you that I currently use Bourjois liquid liner and mascara daily and would happily buy them again. I'm very brand-loyal, and as I liked those two eye products I thought I'd be pretty happy with their eye pencil too. But no. This is number 72 Noir Expert and claims to last up to 16 hours. Well, it's not black – it's more of a blue grey. It goes on softly but smudges within minutes. This would be great if you want a smokey eye in a very soft not-black, but I want a rich and clean pencil liner. And this ain't it. bourjois-waterproof-liquid-liner Bourjois Liner Clubbing in Absolute Black

As I mentioned above, I already use a Bourjois liquid liner for my everyday makeup. However, it isn't waterproof, and I really want to draw the line down along the inner corners of my eye, and it isn't up to that. Instant smudge-y bad blinky times. However, I love it on the outer thirds. SO I thought I'd give its waterproof sister a go. Um, waterproof? This is actually LESS waterproof than the usual one! As a liquid liner it's perfectly good – except for its waterproof qualities. It just doesn't do what it says on the tin. I will use it for regular eye lining, but am still on the lookout for a liner that stays put. Any tips welcome!

And that's my four not-my-favourite products right now. I hope you find it useful! Seriously, I know these things work differently on everybody, so of course try it for yourself if you are interested.


Laura said...

Try a Japanese liquid liner, if you can find one. Their eye products tend to be pretty resilient- I like the Dollywink black liquid pen liner, which is available on Sasa.com- but if you have anything available locally, they're all meant to be good!

zilredloh said...

I do appreciate reading the "nay's" along with the "yays" for product reviews.

I actually really love Lancome's liquid eyeliner, artliner. http://www.lancome-usa.com/Artliner/12231,default,pd.html?dwvar_12231_color=Smoke&cgid=makeup-liners-pencils#start=4 While it's not waterproof, mine stays on all day - smudge free and even on the inner section of my eyes. I got mine as part of a free gift and I'll be purchasing it again (and often) whenever I run out.

Emma Cherry said...

Great post dear....
It's always good to know what works and what doesn't! There's nothing more disappointing than being excited about a product only to find it in the bin a few weeks later.
I may have to do a post or two on my favourite and not-so-favourite beauty buys.

(Dear Thirty)

Paulette Hughes said...

I'm a fan of Stila's Stay All Day waterproof liquid liner. It's in pen form as well, which helps with shakiness. I wear cat-eye liner every day and this has been my favorite thus far.

Demi said...

I'm not a fan of heavy makeup and I'm fairly pale so I also tried the Dream Fresh BB cream and I found the same thing, they would just.. sweat off after a while. I think it's more to do with the Australian climate, sadly..

By the way, I just wanted to add that I added you to my blog's "Links/Blogroll" page and used your photo, I hope that's okay! :)

esme and the laneway said...

Laura : oh thanks, I'll keep a look out for them. I'm quite wary because I can be allergic to some eye products x

zilredloh : I'm so glad :D and I love Lancome's mascara so I like to think their liners would be good for me too (then again, ahem, Bourjois, haha) but ideally I'd like to get one that is less spensy.

The Mad Ingénue said...

I have hooded AND oily eyelids so I have a lot of trouble finding eyeliner that stays put. If I'm going for an intense cat eye that I want to last throughout the night, I've found my Revlon Colorstay liquid liner does the trick! I'm not actually sure if it's waterproof but it doesn't budge at all :) It works even better than my Dollywink liner that I've read so many great reviews on. Hope this helps!

x Lily

Jaye said...

I've used Lancôme's liquid eyeliner as well, but I've been swearing by MakeUp-For-Ever for a few years now. It's made to withstand lights on TV/movie sets, so it stays! I'm not sure if it's something you can easily find in AUS, but you could always find it online! Heck- I would even mail some to you! I love it that much:) good luck on the eyeliner hunt!

esme and the laneway said...

Emma Cherry : oh do it! It's really useful to read the downside as well as the pros. And I hate wasting money on these things (especially at Aus prices!) :) x

Paulette Hughes : I hear good things about Stila, but I don't like pen tips on my liners usually. I should check it out though as non-budge would be soooo good!

Anonymous Demi : that's really nice about the blog roll, thank you! I think that's a good point, maybe it doesn't like the heat here, plus apparently I have very warm (to the touch) skin – which feels like a strange thing to write, haha! – but it would explain it.

The Mad Ingénue : oh it does, definitely, thank you! I think my lids are oily too tbh.

Jaye : I'll have a look but it might be hard to get here, even on line (it might not send to Aus addresses, we get that quite a lot :/ and I once tried a forwarding company but it went wrong) but Makeup-For-Everywhere is a name I hear/read quite a lot in good terms so I am curious!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

bad reviews can be good. helps people work out what work for them atleast. I've been trying out a few bb creams at the moment. I have one that says "oil-free" that is too oily to wear without powder. LOL

beate grigutsch said...

thank you for sharing this my dear!

tips: when i want lighter makeup i mix my cream foundation with my usually skin care cream on the wrist of my hand.
for eyeliner - a crisp black line like laque made a german brand: rival de loop/berlin - stays even if i "crie" in the cold wind...
for softer, broader lines: jade maybelline eye studio lasting drama gel eyeliner 24h


Amber Jade said...

Thanks for the reviews! I agree that its important to hear when a product doesn't work as expected. Certainly saves wasted money!

I've found Bourjois products a little hit and miss as well. Some are amazing and some are just not that great. I'm in love with their mascara though :)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Love this post - so often we focus our reviews or praise filled posts for the items that rock our world (and for good reason), but it can be great to know what items don't float a fellow blogger's boat, too.

♥ Jessica

Wild Tea Party said...

I found the Maybelline BB cream a bit disappointing too for the exact same reason. Ah well. Pays to try new things sometimes.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Great review doll!! I have tried these BB creams and it was terrible for me too. I looked a state, haha. I got one for dry skin & not sure, it just made me look like I had been out playing in the dirt or didn't know how to apply tanner, I was not pleased. I stopped using it after one go. BB creams just don't suit me at all. Shame. Bourjois was a terrible BB cream for me too, so streaky, again I looked like a fake tanning mishap, haha!! I'm tanned already, why would I need any more!?! And oily products are just no good for me either, makes my glasses slide down my face!! Shame these didn't work for you!! xx

JJ said...

That's a shame about the Jackie Oates - I've really got into using Lush products recently and that was on my list to try next - although I did expect it may not give the coverage I would like.

I really like the BB Creams - not tried Maybelline, but I love the 17 ones. Have you tried mixing it with Foundation? I mix a tiny bit of my normal foundation with it and it lasts a lot longer. I love the glow it gives me skin and it feels a lot lighter.

esme and the laneway said...

Natalie_vintage_girl : I feel like the newer wave of BB creams just hasn't been so good. Some BB creams are amazing but they're very hard to get here!

beate grigutsch : thanks for those recs! I get that cold wind cry thing too in winter, argh :D

Jessica Cangiano : definitely!

The Dainty Dolls House : I wish the older BB creams were easier to find. There is one whose name I can't remember, but it's in a dark red tube with a gold lid and it's amazing. Maybe our more familiar brands jumped on the BB cream bandwagon and are just not up to scratch?

JJ : it is seriously the worst foundation I can ever remember even using. I really hope they can change up the formula because the colour was perfect!

I haven't tried mixing the BB cream with foundation but that could help, but I think my foundation over sunscreen will be ok – and when it's over 36C I'll just go bare faced! :D

Eva said...

My tip is to use a waterproof mascara that works for you and apply it with an eyeliner pencil. Just in the inner corner though, for the rest of the eye, a regular liquid liner is better! :)

Little Nell said...

Love this post, always good to know the ones that just don't quite work out, just as much as the ones that do :-)

I'm not sure how readily available this is in Australia, but there is a liquid liner by Jemma Kidd for Target and that stuff seriously does not budge. Plus it has the little paint brush tip, not a felt tip one.

Hope this helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...