Friday, 14 February 2014

a five day forecast, my vintage summer wardrobe and three pairs of shoes

week-of-outfits-summer-vintage a I decided to try something a little different today and plan what I am going to wear for the next 5 days – and then write about it here. There's hardly been any clothes on here for ages and I'm starting to miss them. The thing is, I look forward to the ease of dressing in summer all year – dress, shoes, ta-da all done – and then when it arrives, it feels... well, it feels a bit boring. It didn't help that we didn't get much of a spring and went straight into very hot weather. But, seeing as we have several weeks at least of summer to go, with everyday more or less guaranteed to be scorchio (thank you The Fast Show), I think that making an effort with it might just make it a bit more fun. And then, seeing as I talk about the weather so much anyway, as it's obviously such a factor in getting dressed and also has such an impact on day to day life, I thought I'd include our weather forecast (from what must be one of Melbourne's favourite websites, bom) with it.

week-of-outfits-summer-vintage b So, here we are, starting on this coming Saturday and going through until Wednesday! Note all the space on my clothes rack. It makes me feel so very pleased with myself.

week-of-outfits-summer-vintage c Saturday: 27C, showers developing

Ok, so here I am starting with a mild and rainy day having just said everyday is going to be hot. What I would have called hot – rightfully so – in the UK now seems mild to me, seeing as we get lots of days with temperatures 15C over this. I traveled home on a bus from work once in 48C. So, some context for us. But back to Saturday. I am going out for breakfast with some friends and then John and I are going out in the city in the evening. I like closed toe shoes in the rain – slimey wet toes in sandals, yuck – and these little low – or possibly mid, I admit my opinion on this is cheerfully skewed! – heels from Betts, in the creamy beigey colour, have been worn so much since I got them last Autumn they'll need replacing soon. I like to wear things to death, it feels useful. Still, it might just almost be time to put these out to pasture (or in the bin.) Until then, they'll get a few more wears, as they are soft and comfortable and I can trot about all day in them, and they go with everything.

The vintage peach dress with the white striped section is one I always think I'd like to wear more of in winter, with lots of black to harden it up a bit, but I didn't last winter – whole separate post there – so we'll see if I do that this time. I do love this peach shade, though. And I love a belt but they're pretty hard to find, but this aqua one, from a 1980s pencil skirt, is a nice pop of colour. I would love to find some more medium to wide belts without elastic and with buckles, but they are like hen's teeth in my world. If it gets cold enough in the evening I have an aqua cardi to add, but I actually can't believe that it will! week-of-outfits-summer-vintage d week-of-outfits-summer-vintage e week-of-outfits-summer-vintage f Sunday: 23C, a few showers clearing later

What's this? It's going to be cold? I think I'll soak it into my bones. I've been wanting to wear this colour combo since I bought the powder blue blouse from Savers a few months ago, and thought it would be good to wear with this bright red gifted skirt. I'm at that stage of being well and truly over summer and summer clothes, and I watched Night of The Hunter (1955) last night and am in the mood for black and pencil skirts and little hats, but that will just have to wait. And these colours will be fun. We aren't doing too much on Sunday, just meeting up with some friends at a pub in the early evening. I have a new black glittery cardigan that I can add if, gasp, I actually need it. All to wear with my black sandals of the summer (found on yoox last winter) that have already proved themselves to be a worthy purchase. Oh yes, and that black belt from Vinnies, as I don't want to show off my good-for-comy-Sundays elastic waistband. That can be my secret! No one needs to know if I let the belt out a notch or two... week-of-outfits-summer-vintage h week-of-outfits-summer-vintage g week-of-outfits-summer-vintage n Monday: 27C and partly cloudy

Hmm, pretty damn nice. The UV at this time of year is brutal, so a bit of cloud cover is actually welcome relief. I finally replaced the broken metal zip (it was missing a tooth when I bought it – all explained pre-purchase by the etsy seller, who is lovely – and worked fine for a few months, and then it announced it had had enough and was retiring) on this pink vintage dress after months and months of putting it off – I hate doing it, it's such a boring chore – and I am happy to have it in rotation again. I think I'll be craving a bit of heel by Monday, too, so my snake print heels with the stacked wooden platforms, also from yoox and also very loved and often worn, will be good. But if I wake up and can tell it's going to be a hot 27C, I'll wear my tan Hasbeens instead. They're v comfy, by the way, and I can now wear them without socks! And that is a relief. week-of-outfits-summer-vintage o week-of-outfits-summer-vintage l Tuesday: 31C, possible late shower

Back into pretty warm territory. Will retaliate with one of my favourite buys for last summer, this cotton pique hydrangea print dress. I love that it has touches of black in the print, as it just takes the edge of the bright florals. Well, just. If you look hard enough. But it also means it will go well with my black sandals. If I fancied it, I could wear the skinny aqua belt with it, but anything pressing on my middle when it's over 30C gets a bit too hot. week-of-outfits-summer-vintage m week-of-outfits-summer-vintage i Wednesday: 21C, a few showers

Well, this is not so scorchio! I have a work meeting in the morning, and will wear my amazing 1950s cotton print skirt with a cropped white top from Sportsgirl. I don't wear my vintage skirts enough as finding tops for them isn't easy, but I made an extra effort last winter. I like that it won't be all bulky around the waist and ruin the whole point of the skirt. I think aqua belty might want to come along, too, although the skirt's waistband is non-stretch so it's fine as is. Will see how I feel on the morning. Again, the black sandals with this... I knew I wanted to really streamline my shoe choices and I think I've been pretty successful at it! A tiny bit of variety would be welcome, I think. If it is a bit chilly that black glittery cardigan can have a day out in the city, too.

week-of-outfits-summer-vintage k week-of-outfits-summer-vintage j And that's my five day forecast, all shot on a murky early evening with the smoke haze blocking out the sunlight. What do you think? What's the weather looking like where you are? And are you sick of the season you're in or are you still loving it?

19 comments:

beate grigutsch said...

cute post!
here should be snow and degrees under 0 - but it feels like spring. birds sing and tulips grow. it makes every day life easier but i´m not sure if its good for the nature......
happy valentine <3

Molly Meador said...

This is such a neat idea. Winter is just now ending here and this makes me almost excited for Summer (I'm not a big fan of heat). I especially like your dress for Saturday.

-molly
mollyseee.blogspot.com

Hannah said...

Gosh, we in NC have been under 6-8 uncharacteristic inches of snow this week! Though I'm glad for a couple snowdays from work, I'm envious of summery threads & might have to take a miami weekend toward the end of the month. yesterday i commemorated our snow w/ an all white ensemble but today it's all grey, ready for a sugary pink v-day outfit!

Modern June Cleaver said...

It's absolutely freezing here, but I've been trying to risk the cold and wear some of the seasonally inappropriate things that make me happy.

I wear things to death as well, but the saddest day ever is when I have to officially "retire" a piece because it's overworn. sigh.

Amanda
http://junebugsandgeorgiapeaches.blogspot.com/

Katherine said...

Love it! So organised

Amber Jade said...

That's an awesome idea and I love this post! I'm far too fickle to plan my outfits in advance, sometimes I wake up and it just had to be a pastel day, other times I just want to wear black.
I live in Darwin where there are two seasons, wet and dry! Both too hot for my liking. I'm very much looking forward to moving to Melbourne in the future! I know it gets very hot there, but it also gets cold glorious cold! :)

Kate-Em said...

I really like this post idea, what a good one! You have picked some lovely outfits. That 1950's skirt is particularly fabulous!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Those are lovely items...love the pink dress, so pretty!! The weather here is cold and grey. It's actually not raining for once in days. I have the cold, so I am inside keeping warm!! xx

Clare Kolat said...

It's so refreshing to see your wardrobe. I live in the States and I'm freezing my butt off right now. I love visiting your blog to thaw out.

Valerie Brown said...

Your hydrangea dress is one of my faves - that was a great find! I am most definitely sick of the sustained snow and cold. This winter has been extra bad....

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a splendid idea! All of these outfits are such vibrant, fun and beautiful! I love to play my ensembles in advance sometimes as (I once planned my Christmas look for the coming year on Boxing Day of the former!).

♥ Jessica

Selina said...

I love the idea of showing us what you want to wear over the week, then we can get a sense of what you fancy wearing from day to day in front of us. It's flooding in the UK with torrential rain so you're better off there!

esme and the laneway said...

Selina: thanks :) We're not all better off here though: the flooding in the UK looks terrible, but here in Aus we are having a very bad bush fire season, a number of my friends have been evacuated, people have had their houses destroyed, live stock is suffering, a huge fire less than 20km from my house created so much smoke my eyes have been burning and I've been coughing since last Sunday... the grass isn't always greener.

Jessica Cangiano : now that IS some future planning!

Amber Jade : it's Saturday and I'm already thinking, hmm, maybe Sunday's outfit would be good for today..! :D Darwin sounds tough. Yep, Melbourne gets extreme seasons but we get cold! Beautiful winter! (Hope your Melbourne home has heating though, our first one didn't, brrr!) x

Modern June Cleaver : oh I know, so sad! I have a couple of dresses that are very almost done, boo :< but I tell myself I can live with some wear and tear..!

Hannah : wow, I can't imagine seeing that much snow ever again! It sounds beautiful but that's probably because I don't have to live in it and deal with it, hehe.

Molly Meador : thank you! Heat is overrated. 28C nice, 48C no! ;D

beate grigutsch : thanks, it was fun to do :) yes, everywhere's weather is really odd at the moment, it's very worrying.

The French Teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The French Teacher said...

Hi Marianne,

I'm a vintage lover from Belgium. People often don't understand my love for 'old fashioned' clothes, but to me, wearing vintage is just being myself. It's like a natural thing to me. Here in Belgium, we have a really cool vintage shop with sales every six weeks. During sales, you can buy real vintage treasures for 1, 2 or 3 euros. I went there on Saturday and bought 6 beautiful vintage dresses and a belt for 21 euros. Don't have to tell you how happy I was...

Keep blogging, I like reading someone else's vintage adventures (and love to admire your wardrobe!)

Love from a vintage sister-in-crime

Elke from Belgium

PS: I've got a blog myself: frenchteacherscanbefashionable

Anonymous said...

Hello! Such an inspiring selection of outfits recently! You've convinced me I really need more platform sandals, even though the cool weather is coming. Did you find the bruno premi shoes to be true to regular size? As you say, it's such a risk to buy them online, but so satisfying when they arrive and they fit!

esme and the laneway said...

The French Teacher : ah so good to see this! Thank you :) your vintage shops sound AMAZING! Up to 3 euros for vintage is hard for me to imagine. Nice! Welcome, fellow sister in vintage!


Anonymous: platform sandals and tights will probably be trotted on by me to my grave. I bought the smaller of the two sizes I usually wear and they are perfect, so with these ones I'd recommend going down a size (my decision was made easier because they only had 36 left, 37s were all sold out) hope that helps!

lahlee said...

That helps a lot, thanks so much. Enjoy the balmy evening!!

Charis said...

My clothes planning post for five days would be ridiculous; it's been cold, grey & wet here since November, eurgggh! I'm wearing three or four layers a day, ha ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...