Thursday, 13 February 2014

a little bit on the wedding, the set up and the sun set

lace-face I’ve been asked quite a lot about when I am going to write about my wedding, and I know a lot of you want to see the pictures. And I don’t blame you – having seen the preview from the photographer I am VERY – caps deserved – excited to share them with you, too. John and I love them. We now need to go through them and organise them and we will settle in to do that after we’ve exhausted ourselves running (and eating, so the running might be especially useful..!) around Europe. There’s been so much going on, really big important stuff, for the past few months and it’s really exciting. Makes quite the change from the usual day in, day out, rinse and repeat of routine!

One of the (many) things I want to write about to do with the wedding was the planning. Even this is something I want to break down into more manageable pieces (and posts) as there is so much to talk about. John and I did everything ourselves and we definitely learned a thing or two along the way. It was a very hands on, learn-as-you-go kind of thing, but it was fun doing it together and definitely helped with the inevitable stress that builds as The Big Day gets closer, and closer…

Timing has worked out rather well with this one too, as Bride Magazine asked me to share their wedding planner with you. We didn’t have a written list of tasks per se, although we knew what needed to be done and could tackle them together. Our wedding was very small, intimate and tightly organised – I actually love getting my managing hat on, and do it well; a clipboard would have accessorised nicely! – and we kept the to do list deliberately short to help keep it do-able, but let me tell you, from my fresh experience: things that you could normally do in your sleep suddenly feel very, very hard. Take all the help you can get! Every last bit of it!

That said, I don’t want this to sound all bad. Not at all! It was really fun. In fact doing certain things in preparation of the day was surprisingly soothing. For example, we did the bulk of setting up the venue together the night before, and then returned at the dawn of the day itself to finish it. Tiring, yes, but we couldn’t sleep anyway and it was soooooo good to get things just as we wanted them, and to feel so involved. Plus, I love flowers (as I think you know already!) and the opportunity to play with literally armloads of flora was too good to miss. I photographed some of this setting up (and being silly with the lace curtains!), too, and now look back at them with happiness. Watching the sun go down over Melbourne’s CBD, the long shadows stretching and yawning and leaving us one by one, until we had to turn on the lights and live alone in a little bubble of glowing yellow, quietly concentrating on getting everything done and in its place, was uniquely special. What could have been a faffy chore was actually a really beautiful few hours of calm sandwiched in there among the chaos. It’s a nice memory to have. building sunset

5 comments:

Fräulein K. said...

dreamy picture

Jessica Cangiano said...

That is such an angelically gorgeous photograph. Perfect cream light to match the timeless hue of the lace. Amazing!

♥ Jessica

Modern June Cleaver said...

Currently planning my wedding in September, always love hearing incite from newlyweds about what they learned while planning themselves.

Amanda
http://junebugsandgeorgiapeaches.blogspot.com/

Vicky said...

i'm so impressed you did it all yourselves! not that i have any experience from wedding planning, but it definitely seems like a huge task. excited to see the pics!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Gorgeous picture & it's grand that you did it all yourselves, so cool :) xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...