Monday, 3 February 2014

a warm Saturday, blue flora and Babycat's window confusion

blue-floral-dress-mirror d Monday again! I loved our busy weekend, even though it was horribly hot. My inkling was right: being sociable on every day of it was good for me and my mood. It was less good for my hair, as in any attempts at hairstyling, but that is never going to get top spot on the list of Very Important Things.

I am really glad it is February for a number of reasons. For one, it means we are in the final, official month of summer, which means one month to go of ridiculous, life-altering weather. Of course the extreme heat drags on into March, and often into the first half of April, but knowing that the end is now in sight is good. Finally, going out during day light hours will not be an act of endurance, nights will be gracious enough to drop below 28C or whatever and sleep will be possible, and I won't feel like such a weather hostage.

That said, we do get some good, comfortable days at this time of year too. We've been lucky, lately, to have some beautiful weekends in-between very hot weeks. The Saturday before last was one such day. Sunny, still very warm without being gross, and not windy! My dress even had elbow length sleeves. John and I put this awesome comfortableness to good use by... going to Ikea. No, seriously, don't mock, it was necessary! blue-floral-dress-mirror a This blue floral dress has been on here a good few times, and is still going strong. I can't really imagine buying something to wear that would only get worn for one or two years. Anyway. Our recent bathroom re-jigging meant we had to take out the long mirror opposite the door and replace it with one about 20mm shorter. House tetris at its finest, really. Oh, for just another inch here etc! I thought it was going to be a big faff to find a mirror in such a slightly different length, but John sorted it immediately (talent!) and we then had a spare, full-length mirror in need of a home. The back bedroom had no mirror since we stored the wooden one at John's mum's house. We had our answer: inside the wardrobe door. It's really useful – surprise surprise – being able to see yourself head to toe in decent light. If I stand so far back I squish into my clothes racks I can even fit in the camera! No mean feat. babycat-window Babycat likes to sit on this room's windowsill and hang a paw or her tail out of the little gap when it's open. And to give us evil looks, apparently. blue-floral-dress-mirror h She does NOT like being patted through the open window. I don't think she understands how or why I am outside but can still touch her toes. More than two pats and you might get a semi-clawed swipe. blue-floral-dress-mirror f I love this floral print and the almost blurred effect. It's also nice to have a colourful vintage sundress that feels a bit more grown up. space saver The shopping trip was successful; we had a list and ticked everything off. I've never liked them but I got one of those hanging storage things. We had one in when we lived in East London and they're just useful, and I decided it was actually the best option to store small bits and pieces, my running gear and so on in an otherwise unused corner. No more bras hanging off the end of the bed! It's now full. new plates We also got some plates and coasters. There never seems to be enough coasters and the vintage bird ones we had are getting really damaged – they don't like (bird) bathing in wine and everything else that has been spilled on them. Fair enough, really. lace-sunset We had the late afternoon and evening to ourselves and stayed home as the sun set, watched Game of Thrones and Absolutely Fabulous (it's a strange combination but it's working for us!) and I tried making that lentil salad I was talking about. I didn't have all the ingredients I needed – or at least the ones I can recognise! – but it was pretty good for a first attempt. More will be made! And when I get it good enough I'll share the recipe. I think it will be perfect for Autumn dinners, and we don't have too long to wait for those, now! They can't come soon enough. lentil salad

16 comments:

Margarita Bloom said...

You're always so pretty Marianne! I love that dress. Mmmm, that salad looks tasty. I can't wait for warm weather to start up...spring can't get here fast enough. :)

- Gina
Margarita Bloom: Retro Beauty & Skincare
http://margaritabloom-glamourville.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Margarita-Bloom/28087812273?ref=mf
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MargaritaBloom

Saperlotte said...

I really admireyou and your style, yes. But I also have to admit that I am a huge fan of babycat. Thihi

xoxo, Saperlotte

Debs said...

Oh yes I'm longing for Autumn too.
Longing.
Longing.
Sigh.......

Vickie said...

that salad looks delicious & I love your blue & gold shoes :)

also, the photo of Babycat with her tail hanging out the window is very cute :)

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Very beautiful...am happy you had a great weekend. I may come visit if the heat there persists, it's cold here and I am tired of grey skies ;D This dress is one of my favourites of yours, it's so beautiful & blue :) I hope some breeze will come and at least cool you all off for a bit!! Everything is looking wonderful doll...happy week to you xx

Flauer said...

Hey! I've just found your blog! Your dress ist sooo beautyful! I'll come again! Franziska ♥

Alexandra Marie said...

Love that dress- and the pictures with the kitty are adorable! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

Mélodie Nicolle said...

Beautiful photos dear, it looks like you had a productive and relaxing weekend at the same time, great combo! That dress is gorgeous and babycat is adorable standing at the window like this! :)
xoxo
Melodie
http://sevenlivesandmore.blogspot.fr/

Rachel Kaye Estelle said...

Such a beautiful dress! I've admired it every time it's found its way onto your blog!

Alexandra Townsend said...

What a gorgeous dress! I love blue roses...

esme and the laneway said...

Saperlotte : she is the brightest starry star :D

Debs : it can come whenever it likes, tomorrow, soon, it's welcome!

The Dainty Dolls House: thanks! but seriously don't come to Melbourne in January or February, it's gross!

Flauer : awesome!

Mélodie Nicolle : it was, exactly! :D

Rachel Kaye Estelle : it's a good favourite. Imagine if everything worn on a blog had to be new!

Jessica Cangiano said...

"Weather hostage" is a brilliant term, my dear. Would you mind terribly if I borrowed it to use in the course of my daily life come summertime here, when inevitable, I become just that each time the dog days set in?

♥ Jessica

laura redburn said...

that dress is absolutely perfect! and i totally wouldn't be able to manage that heat. far too hot for me!

Authentic Alice said...

Here you are wishing your hot weather away and me in very rainy England just wishing for even a little bit of heat!! A specially seen as my coat has just broken and I don't really have the money for a new one!!

Thistle Jones said...

Oh, that dress is too perfect. It's so hard to find sundresses that aren't too cutesy, but this strikes a perfect balance! I wish it were warm enough to pull out the summer stock here...(Northeastern United States brrrr).

Charis said...

Absolutely loving your blue floral sundress, gorgeous :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...