Tuesday, 18 February 2014

beauty tryouts: red dry shampoo

red-dry-shampoo a It was a couple of Fridays ago when I was talking with some girlfriends about dry shampoo that I decided to keep an eye out for a red one. I thought the idea of coloured dry shampoo was a good, and obvious, one, but hadn't actually tried it myself. So when I saw this one by Batiste whilst looking for eyelash glue – getting a bit lost in Priceline can lead to a heavier shopping basket than intended – I decided to give it a whirl.

I am a bit of a late comer to dry shampoo, having only used it for about 18 months or so, but I am very much a fan of the stuff. It was especially useful when I had white hair; the matte-ness and powdery paleness it can give was something I wanted, rather than avoided, as I would now with more my natural looking locks. Growing out my bleached hair has changed my need for it too, as now that the top half of my hair is so much healthier and barely lightened, it also gets, um, shinier (ok, greasier) much more quickly. Still, that's the price for silky, glossy hair. Swings and roundabouts. (Now I am waiting desperately for my hair to grow grow grow so I can chop the frazzled ends off.)

It's not only been very hot but very humid here lately, so my hair was basically getting feral far quicker than usual. I used this dry shampoo on the weekend, in hair that, when I woke up, needed it even more than I had expected it to. I say used, but perhaps abused would be more like it – I love the increased volume and grippy texture that dry shampoo gives and so spray it in there very generously.

And that's where I think this product falls down for me. It is called "vibrant & red" and it absolutely is – just as it should be. However, "a hint of colour" is a bit more misleading – this stuff is loaded with it. And that, combined with the way I like to put a LOT into my hair, is not ideal for me. The colour was patchy, and very difficult to blend in, and then kept seeming to come back. It also made my scalp (ugly word) go an orange-red, and no amount of brushing or finger-jhujing would clear it. Speaking of jhujing, a word of warning: it will get all over your hands. And will do all day, so don't touch your hair and then your face or your clothes unless you want a tango'd hand print. The texture it gives is great, though, and my hair was nicely embiggened, and stayed big, even in what was about 300000000% humidity. If you like just a little spray and want colour, this could be for you. red-dry-shampoo b You can see the intensity of the colour here in the nozzle. It looks even redder on hair. I'm actually thinking about doing videos of trying out products, rather than the usual photos – would that be useful for you? Let me know and I might just bring out the video camera..! red-dry-shampoo c




15 comments:

let us wanderlust said...

Hi Marianne! I love this post. I'm very much a new comer to the world of dry shampoo too, having only used it a handful of times. I wonder whether batiste make a brown one too? I love the idea of the product helping to boost volume, which is often so wanted when the hair is flat and in need of a wash! This post made me laugh a lot - all those little parts in brackets made me smile! I think a video would be amazing and super useful! Carly x

Glazed Over said...

Yikes! I've been wondering if Batiste made a shampoo for us redheads, but now I'm thinking I'll pass it up if I see it. Thanks for the review!

xo Brianna Glazed Over

esme and the laneway said...

let us wanderlust: hello! Thanks, I'm glad you liked it :)video might have to happen because otherwise there are photos of things going wrong floating about, hehe. I think there is a dark/brown version but I can't remember the brand, but it might be worth a look. I actually love Klorane, it goes on white-ish but fades really well and is my favourite :) x

Glazed Over : my pleasure! Batiste's regular dry shampoos were what I used on my white hair and I liked them for that, but if like me you use a lot in one go then this might be a bit messy. Of course it's always worth checking it out for yourself but that was what I found with it :) x

Helen Mae said...

Great post! I'm a religious user of dry shampoo but I've only ever tried the regular sort. I've considered using a brown one but I tend to spray quite a lot as well, and it sounds like I might have the same problem as you. I had no idea there was a red version available though.

beate grigutsch said...

ugghh!
red powder all over the place sounds not very pretty...

since i have natural white hair i just use simple baby powder when my hair is a bit greasy but it´s no time to wash&dry. it works great, does no harm to my sensitive scalp and ads volume like dry shampoo :-)

Christine Kelly said...

Hello! I too am a newbie to dry shampoo but have heard how good it is! Videos would be great but was hoping for a pic of you with your volumised red, red, red hair!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I have seen one for brunettes but there are so many shades of brown I thought it would be too dark. I love the original batiste ones. I have only started using them this year and i'm thinking about doing a review on them soon.

jana said...

Loved this post! I'm a fan of the regular Batiste dry shampoos, especially the XXL volume one, as I can use it one day, but it lasts for two days in my hair. I have bright orange-red hair, so I was wondering about the tinted dry shampoo. After reading this post, I think it's safe to say I'll make do with the original white-powder versions!

I also think that video reviews would be really helpful! :)

xo Jana

luvdoctorlibbie said...

Yes, videos are always great!

I use the Lush dry shampoo, and I love it! It lasts a long time, and even though I have red hair it blends in easily. It's a little messier to apply, but the bottle has a lot more product in in than a spray, so I think it's worth it.

esme and the laneway said...

Helen Mae : neither did I! I guess it's fair enough though, if it's meant to be coloured it will be, but it was quite intense! :)

beate grigutsch : no, very messy! Ah, that reminds me of being a teenager and doing that! It wasn't successful for me though :)

Christine Kelly : I took some but I don't like them! Video would be better as at least the context makes more sense for patchy red bouffants ;D

Natalie_vintage_girl : my friend told me she things this brown one is good (can't remember the brand) :) And a review would be good! Dry shampoos is one of my all time favourite hair products, come to think of it.

jana : Batiste are good, aren't they! I should have stressed that more about their regular one in the post, now I think of it. I found it blended well enough to not be a problem, too!

luvdoctorlibbie : oh I am such a Lush lover I might have to try it. Does it smell amazing? And videos might have to happen! x

Jessica Cangiano said...

Oh my, that's not in the slightest about it staining your scalp and getting all over your hands. It makes me think of that inexpensive Halloween hair colour in an aerosol can in that regard. I'm sorry that this product didn't work out super well for you, honey.

♥ Jessica

Miss Emmi said...

I've used both Klorane and Batise in their 'regular' uncoloured forms. I never noticed a problem with white sediment, despite having red hair. I am however grateful for this post as this sounds like it would not be the right product for me!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I have never used anything like this before, but I've always wondered if it was good. Shame it left your scalp (that is a weird word) not right, it should look natural, but if it does that, it's weird. I always like your hair any ways...when it was a different colour as well...you suit a lot of different hair looks :) x

Sophie Hawker said...

Great review! I recently tried their XXL one which gives incredible volume, but the hair isn't great to touch! Left me feeling a bit like I needed to wash my hair immediately! Still on the hunt...

Sophie
http://what-sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk/
xxx

Aleksandra said...

The messiness is always such a problem with "add on" products for red hair isn't it; be it colour replenishing shampoo, mousse or dry shampoo... I have half a mind to give up on products like that and just go for henna!

It's a pity this dry shampoo wasn't all that good though. I'm addicted to Batiste myself (especially the one with a sweet, tropical scent) as my hair gets greasy so quickly (in my early teens I used to wash it every single day, needless to say it wrecked havoc on my scalp.) Perhaps the red one would be better if mixed with an ordinary white dry shampoo, as in two sprays of white for every red? I guess despite the staining, the red could potentially be useful for hiding regrowth?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...