Thursday, 20 February 2014

cocktails, summer evenings, the city, and travelling labels

purple eyeshadow a I mentioned going to a cocktail night in my last post, and here it is. I love going to the city proper!

It was a much cooler evening than usual for summer, and so I jumped at the chance to wear some more eye makeup than usual. Purple shadow and red lips is a classic that I always love and always mean to wear but never quite get around to, so I leapt on that too. vintage-pink-dress-bow Trish looked amazing in a vintage pink dress. It's lucky I did go for the black and silver and glitter, as I'd almost worn my bright pink cocktail dress – but it has elbow length sleeves, and when I say it was a much cooler night it was still very warm. My arms wanted to soak up any available chill! melbourne-palm-trees-summer We only have a few train stations in our little city centre, and I do like popping out from the underground (called the City Loop) and climbing the stairs, blinking in the sudden bright sunlight and seeing palm trees. melbourne-china-town And the start of Melbourne's Chinatown. gold-shells ON the edge of the city here are beautiful buildings that people are working to save from greedy developers. old-building-windows I've always loved old buildings. Look at all the history in those bricks! basement-steps-flowers If you are looking up, you must remember to look down, too. I love these railings and what look like basement flats, as they remind me of London. new-gold-mountain-bar Our venue for the evening, New Gold Mountain on Liverpool St, was just a short wobble on cobble stones from the station. It's time to look up again, too, as it is a bit hidden, and you'll find the door beneath the bike mounted high up on the wall. nails After a few rounds of the amazingly awesome old wonky wooden stairs (I love them, and that buildings in the city still have them!) we claimed a booth by an open window, and what a table of bloggers we were: out come the cameras and the phones, all in colourful sparkly hands! rice-paper-foods We were fed by locals Rice Paper Scissors. cocktail And then shown how to make our own daiquiris. I'll be honest here and tell you that getting up and pouring and measuring reminded me too much of all those boring chemistry experiments at school so I was very happy to have one made by the professionals and delivered straight to my hand. (Thank you, much appreciated!). It was pretty nice to sit there in the cool breeze, the sun shining in and spotlighting fellow drinkers (and some excellent red hair!) as we talked the evening away and tried, without much success, to keep track of the sticky labels bearing our names that started the evening dutifully stuck to our shoulders but soon went wandering... I found mine on the inside of my upper arm when I got home. Oops! I wonder if anyone on the train home that night noticed? sunlight-cocktail-great-hair

13 comments:

Thistle Jones said...

Oh, this post has made me so hungry for summer! That looks like such a lovely little spot. I'll have to go poking around some of those lovely brick-faces if I ever come to Melbourne!

Amber Jade said...

I really do love your pictures of Melbourne. I've been wanting to move there for years and my sister just did so now I'm even more attracted to it. Every time I see more photos of the place I long to just drop everything and fly down lol. One day!

Amber Jade
Fairytales and Following Trails
http://fairytalesandfollowingtrails.blogspot.com.au/

Glazed Over said...

This glimpse of summer is such a nice treat! We are expecting a blizzard where I live tomorrow. :( Thanks for a glimpse of sunny weather!

xo Brianna

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

lovely post. You look so nice with the purple eye makeup and red lip. I never use this combo because it reminds me too much of dance concerts where we had to wear purple and red together.

Fifties Darling said...

Such interesting pictures.... I love the angles and quality <3

nulca said...

Marianne, please never stop blogging! You inspire me so much! :)

Have a good day!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This looked like a wonderful time, you ladies were dressed so lovely too!! Getting your sticker stuck to your arm is exactly the kinds of things that happen to me & I always wonder if someone saw & why they didn't politely tell me so, haha! But, it does make me have a giggle to myself! xx

April Sharman said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a while, your red hair is so beautiful, what a nice surprise! I am a natural red head, welcome to the club :)

sarah elena said...

beautiful shots!

sarah x / bruise collector

suzanne stevens said...

I spy my ginger locks in the last picture.

Aleksandra said...

Oh, the purple eyes & red lips combo look so great on you! I think it's quite tricky to pull off without it looking too 80s or a bit trashy. Although trashy can be good in small amounts too ;)

Jessica Cangiano said...

Really elegant evening makeup look. I love the whisper pale shade of purple shadow you're sporting. It somehow makes your crimson lipstick pop all the more.

♥ Jessica

IrishRedRose said...

That is a lovely shade of lavender eye shadow! I like the red lip with it. I think the secret is for the red to be matte and the lavender to NOT be too vivid and 80's-loud! Are those from the Lime Crime stash?

Too funny about the label...! But that looks like such a nice evening! Melbourne has always interested me, so I enjoy your posts about exploring the city.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...