Wednesday, 26 February 2014

green sequin skirts, black heels and peplums (and peacocks)

mermaid-green-skirt-b After showing you my dark green sequin Topshop pencil skirt on the weekend, I can now show you how I wore it on Friday night. John and I went out for dinner – to a restaurant and everything, something we haven't done for a while – and I almost just went along in what I was already wearing. I have a tendency to do that, sometimes; as I dress up a little more than, say, casual jeans, during the day time, I can be more inclined to keep it on and so end up dressing down for evening-y things. It's a habit I am breaking right now. Or, then, really, as I realised it was finally cold enough to wear sequins. So, it's a habit already broken, and one I will be keeping, from now on! Babycat approves.

mermaid-fh-a As I was saying, it was beautifully, deliciously cooler, and so I was already wearing black tights. (I've been taken by surprise a bit this year and need to restock my already woefully depleted black tights stash from last winter quick sticks.) Having had my fill (and then some) of endless bright colour, I was happy to wear lots and lots of black with the dark and shimmering green. I wore my black sleeveless peplum top from Asos (a while ago now) which has the added benefit of disguising a post-dinner pot belly. I also wore my new black and sparkly cardigan from Forever New – I have a bit of a gap for cover ups for this time of year, and this one will be getting a LOT of use. I do love it, but I keep catching the fine knit on my rings and snagging it... clearly it's terrible wearing diamonds, then. (NOT!) mermaid-green-skirt-c Finishing it all off were my trusty black suede peeptoes from yoox (they're by Lola Cruz) which I love: high and chunky-cartoon-y and also comfortable, as all shoes should be – yes, even heels, for me – and my vintage gold coloured peacock brooch, with the colourful little stones in his tail. The green matched the skirt and the red matched my lips, and the gold... peacock-brooch ... matched the gold exposed zip down the back of my top. That's one thing about wearing fitted clothing – how on earth do you take photos from the back without looking, well, you know! mermaid-green-skirt-d I absolutely loved wearing this. It was so nice to put down the colourful girlishness of my sundresses and instead wear something more grown up. The skirt felt less loud than I had worried it might, too, although it did get compliments from a nice man (it wasn't creepy) at the tram stop as I stood in the sunshine feeling far too overdressed for a dazzlingly bright early evening. I am definitely going to wear a lot more black this winter. Starting with some new black tights... mermaid-green-skirt-a

26 comments:

Polly said...

Gorgeous! Yes, I definitely need a sequin skirt.

Wild Tea Party said...

Love that outfit on you! It really is like a mermaid skirt! I think you might have convinced me to do sequins.

Eccentric Owl said...

I love this! That sequin skirt is SO fun (I need some sequins in my closet!) and you just look gorgeous! I love your lip color, too. It's fantastic!

xo
Kristina
www.eccentricowl.com

Amy - Chic Vintage Brides said...

A splash of sequins in any outfit just makes everything sparkle! :) You look fabulous Marianne, love it!

let us wanderlust said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This photo shoot is absolutely smashing!! How divine you look!! This honestly took my breath away. I adore the sequinned green pencil skirt - I want one for my wardrobe now! I must ask a technical question (mainly because I'm just so in awe how you do it!) but how did you learn to pose so fabulously? And do you use a little remote to take your photos? Love this post Marianne, you are so so gorgeous!

Vicky said...

oh you're just too beautiful. love your lipstick! wish i could pull off lipstick myself, but can't! boohoo.

Alex Kutuzov said...

Wow, so very lovely! Love the gold brooch as well.

Synne said...

Wow, you look fabulous! I love the style mix of personal, elegant and playful you've got going on here. I really like your blog! All the best from Oslo!

beate grigutsch said...

this are the "bad photos" you´r mentioned?
then i don´t want to see the good ones because i would die from envy.
;-)
you look wonderful - grown up, elegant, sexy in a very sophisticated way.
<3

Selina said...

Fabulous! It's nice to see something slightly different on you

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I love it so...you look fantastic!! The green suits you perfectly xx

Sophie Hawker said...

Stunning outfit, I love every part!

Sophie
http://what-sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk/
xxx

The French Teacher said...

Ooooooooh! The skirt is sooooo beautiful... The whole look is beautiful, but I'm such a sequin lover!

Sinead Hanna said...

Beautiful outfit! I've coveted sequined skirts for a while, but have not been brave enough to wear one on a night out. This is a really inspiring look - elegant, sharp and fun.
I want that skirt, send it to me in exchange for pictures of kittens!!!

Kailey said...

What a perfect mermaid skirt! <3

Anonymous said...

Amaziiiiiiing!!!

StinaP said...

You look amazing! I love the green sequins - and the peplum. It's so good looking with peplums!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Oh...wow!!! I knew that skirt was going to be a glistening, majestic wonder on you and it is, it totally and completely is. Wise choice to style it with black here, that would have been my first pick, too.

♥ Jessica

Lisa said...

You can never have too many sequins! Love your blog.

miranda said...

awesome! love it. sequins and peacocks!!

Bianca Esposito said...

I love the color of that skirt! It is almost like a beetle's wing. I really like the way you styled the brooch as well, I would have never thought to center it like that but it looks so pretty!

esme and the laneway said...

Polly: haha yes, do it! :D

Wild Tea Party : yay, Team Sequin! x

Anonymous Amy - Chic Vintage Brides: thanks Amy!

let us wanderlust : thanks! Posing is from being awkward in front of the camera and pretending I'm not – it's highly effective. And my arm in the air was because I thought I could crop out my hand holding the remote but I didn't in the end! x

Anonymous Vicky : I bet you could! There is a red lipstick for everybody x

Anonymous Synne : thanks very much!

Alex Kutuzov : thank you! x

beate grigutsch : haha yes, they are! :D and thank you xxx

Selina : thanks – it's so nice to wear it! :D

The Dainty Dolls House : thank you! Green + red hair is always good. Maybe I NEED a blue sequin something to match my eyes *thoughtful face* :)

Sinead Hanna : thanks! I do recommend the sparkly night out sequin. Hmmm, tempting, but these kittens would be competing with real life Babycat and she's pretty cute!

Kailey : thanks darling!

Anonymous : thanks anonymous!

StinaP thank you! Yes I LOVE me a peplum, even though they have had their latest "in fashion" moment. I still like the peaked shoulders of 2009 but that's another story..!

Jessica Cangiano: thank you darling! You would rock it too, I just know :)

Lisa : yay, sequin enabling :D and thank you x

Anonymous miranda : it all sounds a bit 1970s glam rock... which ain't a bad thing!

Bianca Esposito : thanks! And yes it is, what a perfect description of it. And you have just given me an idea for a makeup post – thank you for that too! Centering it made me worry at first because it isn't the norm, but it seemed to sit there well and so I went with it, and I'm glad I did, and that you like it too x

Debs said...

Fabulous fabulous skirt! And I have a robe of the exact same shade as the one hanging behind you :)

Andi B. Goode said...

Wow! What a stunning skirt. Looks absolutely amazing on you. Gorgeous.

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

love the colour of the skirt :)

Charis said...

I'm with you on the sequin front! I bought myself some lovely sequinned flats on Friday for a girly evening out, so glad I did, love them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...