Sunday, 23 February 2014

mermaid skirts

green sequin skirt If you follow my instagram or facebook then the chances are you will have seen this skirt by now, but I wanted to pop it here, too, as I think it is worthy of a small but thoughtful Sunday afternoon post.

I bought this Topshop skirt back during the Christmas holidays, on a bit of a sparkly whim. I do love a bit of shimmer and a nice shiny sequin, but don't tend to wear these things very often. The thought of wearing a full on, fully sequined skirt felt a bit sartorially risky, especially as my budget is that much tighter than usual thanks to the 101 things going on at the moment whose demand for my hard-earned is that much louder. You know how it is, you see something when browsing and think "ooh, pretty!" but is it worth actually splashing out for?

Well, I finally got to wear my mermaid-y skirt last Friday evening and I LOVE it. You know when you wear something really quite different from your usual stuff and it feels really good? This was very much one of those moments. The deep dark green, the swishy noise the sequins make when I moved, the light bouncing of those little discs – it was all very enjoyable. This time my risk paid off, and I hope to have a few more of these moments this Autumn and winter!

15 comments:

Betty2Tone (Laura) said...

That's so funny you posted this today. I'm going to a play version of Little Mermaid soon, and was just trying think if I had anything slightly mermaid inspired to wear! I don't think I do, but something like that would be perfect!

Jessica Rose said...

That is a wonderful skirt.....nice colour too.

http://vodkaandarose.blogspot.co.uk

beate grigutsch said...

beautiful skirt!
can we see photos of you wearing it? like to know how you accessorize it.......

Charis said...

I am very much in approval of your mermaid skirt ;)

Natalie Mulford said...

That skirt is so gorgeous!! I'd love to see how you styled it fully!

La said...

Love it! You would have looked so beautiful, I bet!
Falling head over heels for Esme and the Laneway, once again, today. Your writing and photography are wonderful.

The French Teacher said...

You are not going to believe this, but I spotted the exact same skirt on the Topshop website. Haven't bought it yet, though, because I'm trying to do a little less 'new' shopping. But if you say that it's so great... Mmm... Tempting. Don't you have a picture of you wearing it, so that I can see it on?

esme and the laneway said...

Betty2Tone (Laura) : it is halfway to a mermaid tail! The good half, luckily.

Anonymous Jessica Rose : thanks :) the colour swung it for me!

beate grigutsch : yes, I took some (pretty bad!) ones before I ran out the door on Friday :)

Charis : splendid!

Natalie Mulford: pics a-coming! :D

Anonymous La : thanks very much. It feels good to write a bit more again. I always thought no one really read anything so it's nice to hear (read)t they do!

The French Teacher: I do, I'll post them soon :) it's pretty good, long enough (at least on my short self, so keep that in mind!) and the fit it nice. True to size, I think, if you need sizing info! :) x

Wild Tea Party said...

Oh wow, what a fantastic skirt! I can't wait to see you wearing it. I wish I were braver - I keep seeing sequins skirts and walking away because I keep wondering if I'd ever wear them. I really should just do it.

Modern June Cleaver said...

I have a total weak sport for emerald green or bright greens, I have yet to be brave enough to rock sequins, but this skirt could convince a girl to in a heartbeat.

Amanda
Junebugs and Georgia Peaches

esme and the laneway said...

Wild Tea Party : oh, definitely. They actually feel a lot less scary after wearing the skirt for all of two minutes, and start feeling fantastic, I promise!

Modern June Cleaver : greens are so GOOD! See above re. bravery :) I am now well and truly over my sequin fear; they're not THAT loud after all and they are fun!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

This skirt is marvellous, I love it :))) Can't wait to see it on you :)) xx

Jessica Cangiano said...

How fabulously lovely! I adore a right, proper hit of shimmer and sheen like that sometimes. As of late on that particular fashion front, I've been feeling very pulled towards gold lame and hope to add more first piece to my wardrobe sometime this year.

Enjoy your amazing new skirt!

♥ Jessica

Suz said...

Your photographs are fab! Gorgeous skirt.

esme and the laneway said...

The Dainty Dolls House : I'll post some pics soon :)

Jessica Cangiano : oh, gold lame, do it! :D

Suz : thank you! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...