Tuesday, 11 February 2014

tuesday beauty: clear mascara for brows

australis-clear-mascara a Time for Tuesday Beauty, the name that doesn't rhyme (damn) but does seem to stick. This week I want to talk about eyebrow mascara, or, rather, clear mascara, used on ze brows. I could dedicate a lengthy post to eyebrows in general, as I have quite a love of them – they can change your look and your face so much – but we'll keep things more simple here for now.

At the end of last week I'd braved a drive in the very hot weather in our workhorse and un-airconditioned (read: sweatbox) car to run some errands, which included buying some boring things at Priceline. And, while I was there, I felt that having got that far, I was going to treat myself to a little beauty something, too. I was actually looking for some eyelash glue, as I'd unearthed my false lashes and I quite fancy getting my fluttery battage on again, and the glue I have at home had gone off. I couldn't find the glue I was looking for, but I did find a cheapish clear mascara. I'd been wanting to get one for a while, so it joined the goodies in the basket and came home with me.

For the last year I have been wearing my brows in a fuller, thicker style. I naturally have quite fine brows that are also a bit on the sparse side here and there, so I have stopped plucking almost completely (I should point out that it wasn't plucking that thinned my brows; they've always been a slimmer shape, and are a very determined bunch, always growing back no matter how much plucking has happened, and, if anything, they grow back thicker and darker) and aim for as much fullness as possible. I always fill them in, preferably with a powder, and have been using a medium warm brown shade recently, to work with my red hair. I like to use this particular powder (it's the lighter shade from the Essence duo) dry, and concentrate on the outer three quarters-ish to let the individual hairs in the inner bits show, for a groomed but more natural look. I really like how it looks a bit wild animal-y. I brush the brows up and then shape them, and use the clear mascara to keep the inner area brushed upwards and separated. While this worked well enough without anything holding them in place for a bit, they would soon fall back into their regular lazy laying down position. (I know some people like to use hairspray on brows, but I don't like it myself.)

australis-clear-mascara b australis-clear-mascara c So, the clear mascara I bought: Australis Extender Lash & Brow. I've used their black mascara and liquid liner before and been happy with them, so while they are a cheaper brand I was pretty confident I wouldn't be allergic to this (I've had some cracking allergic reactions to eye makeup in the past) an that it would do its job. And, it does! Very well. To be fair, I don't think that a clear mascara for keeping brows in place is too demanding a task, and it shouldn't be too hard to get right, but I was concerned about flaking, or it simply not being strong enough to keep my brows standing to attention. But it does both perfectly well. In fact, I tested it in some brutal, very windy 41C heat, which included jumping in and out of very cold air-conned cabs (heaven on wheels) and a good stint in a humid pub, and it lasted all day and evening. If I can have one grumble, it would be with the brush; it's just a run of the mill mascara wand, and of course it makes sense in a budget conscious product designed for brows and lashes, but I would love a smaller brush to make application that much easier – but then I am really nit picking here. It does have a nice, definite click when you close it, which I really like.

brow mascara b And here is what it looks like on me. Please ignore my tired face, the awkward pose – although I'm sure you're used to that from me by now! – and the strange shadows on my hair and face from the curtains I was not going to open fully as we have direct sun shine through that window, and it's HOT, but you can see mah brows here. I'm very happy with this, and while I'm sure there are others that would also do a good job, I'd definitely buy this again.






8 comments:

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

looks good. I use my sleek clear mascara (yep that was me on facebook lol) to keep my brows in place (as they are quite unruly) and I have recently discovered lash curlers, so i have been using it nearly every day to keep my lashes curled. I have quite long lashes so i don't really like to use mascara during the day. and clear mascara cleans up any fallout thats stuck to the lashes. I do agree that it's probably not a hard task for a clear mascara. I think anything that says its waterproof should probably do the job nicely.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Gorgeous, have never used eyebrow mascara, but it actually sounds like something useful. Because if I'm shopping or something and see my reflection and my eyebrows are out of shape, I end up standing there to fix them, but these would actually help that, might look into some here :)

esme and the laneway said...

Natalie_vintage_girl : haha hello! TRue, but then waterproof is hard to get off... but that's what holds the curl. Damned if we do, etc! I think the lack of flaking was what pleased me about this, there were no flakey crusty bits, which I thought could be an issue..

The Dainty Dolls House : yes, this holds them very much in place! x

Julie said...

Looks like a great one to try out. I like the look of your lashes. i will def check on this....

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Another thing I seem to have noticed with clear mascaras. The ones i have tried so far all seem to be a gel-like formula, so not super flakey. Flakiness is one of the reasons i tend to avoid other mascaras for day wear, because i have sensitive eyes and I don't fancy getting bits of dried mascara stuck in them. That, and it just makes you lashes feel unpleasant. If i want a coloured mascara or a black mascara for a night out i use my clear mascara first and run the other mascara through my lashes before the clear mascara dries.

Jessica Cangiano said...

My natural brows are pittifully sparse, so I've only used brow gel a few times over the years (Maybelline's), particularly on days when I wanted my face to be as "set" as I could possibly make it myself. It does work well and I really like that it washes out with just soap and water, no need for make-up remover.

♥ Jessica

Marianna Chalkiadaki said...

I'm currently using the Browdrama by Maybelline and I'm very satisfied! Great review and photo Marianne!

esme and the laneway said...

Julie : oops, I should have clarified my lashes are wearing Bourjois mascara (the purple one, can't remember what it's called just now) :) x

Natalie_vintage_girl : oh that sounds like a good idea. Are your lashes easy to curl? I didn't wear mascara at all for a few years coz I hated the stuck-together and tangled feeling so many mascaras can give you.

Jessica Cangiano it does finish the face off nicely, doesn't it! I love having very "done" makeup a lot of the time and really miss it in the summer.

Marianna Chalkiadaki : oh it's good to hear that! I've never liked a Maybelline product (I really want to like the mascara in the famous pink and green tube, but...) but I might check this out now :) thank you! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...