Friday, 14 March 2014

black, white, mustard and bikes

gold-black-bike-stripe- b One of the (many) things I look forward to when Autumn kicks in is getting out more. Especially in any kind of active way. I really miss riding my bike during the summer hiatus and leapt at the chance to get back on it a couple of Sundays ago. And hasn't time flown since then..!

One big change I am going to make to my bike riding is what I wear to do it. When I first got my bike, I simply – although, it must be said, much against the way of the cool kids of Melbourne – strapped an ugly bike helmet to my head and off I went. This was way back in 2007, and my wardrobe was very small: a few pairs of jeans, a couple of dresses a some heels on high rotation. I biked to and from work, through the middle of Melbourne's CBD and up and down major roads, and never had a problem with what I was wearing, which, whilst it was mostly pants, sometimes would be a dress or a skirt, too. My heels sat easily over the plastic (all important detail, by the way, if you want to ride in heels!) pedals and I always had flat hair, either left down or put up in a bobble when I arrived, so that was never a problem.

Now I wear a lot more dresses, and those dresses, and skirts, are often fuller – I don't know about you but I can't ride in a pencil skirt, although I have tried – I find it's much more of a problem. Of course, it doesn't help that Melbourne is often windy, too. Anyway, full skirts can get tangled up in the bike and that's never going to be a good thing. So I am going to wear pants when I ride, at least for the time being! Let's see how I go once I've got used to their comfort and practicality and forget skirts were ever a problem at all...

gold-black-bike-stripe- d This was the last weekend of summer, when John and I went for a gentle bike ride around our local 'hood, up the hill to a park (and a bench for a much needed rest for me!) and then on to the green grocers before swooping back down the hill (hills home are good!) a couple of hours later. It really is my favourite way of seeing somewhere, as you can see everything without being in a hurry, but still get somewhere reasonably fast. Oh, how I love it. We discovered new bits of our area, big beautiful old houses that we had no idea even existed (and we would rather like one, please) and little lush green parks, hidden from the view of the cars that whiz along the main roads.

gold-black-bike-stripe- a I mentioned flat hair, and here is one of my solutions. I'd waved my hair a couple of days before (using vintage metal waving clips) and I prefer to have a bit of hair around my face, and so kept everything together with a vintage scarf that matched my stripy tee shirt to a, erm, tee. I do love black, white and mustard together. This was teamed with my Scanlan and Theodore shorts (the ones like plus fours), which are just perfect for bike riding, although they sit very low – they are from the days when pants and belts sat below the hip bone. Oh how normal it seemed them, and how strange it seems now. Luckily my tee shirt, which once was John's (yoink), is long enough to stay tucked in, but I would prefer a higher waistline.

I'd prefer a better helmet, too, which is something I've been saying for a while now. This might just be the year it happens! gold-black-bike-stripe- c

13 comments:

Miss Marie said...

Hurrah for bikes and biking and bike style... Loving your nicely balanced casual/classy look here. Although I have to confess that I am quite a skirt-wearing bike-rider myself. My problem is that most of my bike-riding happens on weekends (as I walk into work so don't need to cycle) and I generally want to wear my pretty, full skirts on the weekend and don't want to just wear my same few trousers over and over just for the sake of cycling ease... It's a conundrum!

Katia said...

Such a sharp outfit, and that's a great city bike, too! Have you tried a dress guard? They're not too expensive, very easy to install, and with mine, I can wear all sorts of ridiculous things without worrying about interfering with the wheel.

esme and the laneway said...

Miss Marie : Oh I know what you mean – it really is!

Katia: no, but this sounds good! I the having to tie skirts up to avoid the hungry wheels.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Also, I just noticed that your favourite Gorman shoes have come back as part of the $60 sale - in case you're interested in replacing them :)

Rosemary Janc said...

I look forward to riding my bike again one day soon! Ja! That park is just a few blocks from me. :) The area has a few gorgeous hidden places, how i wish we had bought one of those big old homes in the area, i dream of owning one of then too every time we go for our walks. Fingers crossed!

beate grigutsch said...

love this outfit - so fresh and chic.
i never wear a helmet - it´s an ongoing discussion around here. i had a some bike accidents in my live (most in berlin, i was a wild girl back then) but i never hit my head....
here you can see me biking today: http://bahnwaerterhaeuschen.blogspot.de/2013/06/kleid-2.html
the bike has some kind of plastic panels at the back sides to protect the skirts.
and yes - pencil skirt and bike is impossible!!!

nulca said...

what a beautiful bike you have! I really like the contrast between the pale bike and black tires :)

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Your bike is super darling, love that!! I wish they did make helmets a little nicer looking, but you looked great anyways :) xx

Frances said...

I love it! I haven't gone biking since I moved, and I rather miss it. I love your (stolen) shirt, I think it looks quite fetching on you, and I'm rather sorry to know I'll have to go rummaging through the men's sections if I want to find anything like it.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Wonderful bike riding ensemble! The pants strike me as channeling a marvelous English vibe (and would work a treat for the Tweed Run), whereas the top is all old school, Bardot-esque classic French.

♥ Jessica

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I would love to go biking and get a vintage bike, but our little narrow streets in the town are just not built for it. There are hardly any bike lanes. Though I think I may start walking soon. My current physical excercise involves dancing spontaneously around the house whilst doing chores and i don't think it's really enough.

As for a helmet. The one zooey deschanel wears in 'Yes Man' is way cute! Or maybe there is some kind of retro horse riding helmet you could get?

Danielle McCarney said...

All through the (super severe) Perth summer I've been wearing a full-brimmed Yakkay helmet, which is know is totally naughty since they're not legal in Australia... But at the time I was buying it I didn't know of any other options for the sort of sun protection one needs in WA.

One thing I've learnt is that rag curls work well with helmets. If you just take the rags out at home but don't shake out the curls, then you do the full shake out once you arrive at your destination you're saved from flat hair.

My one useful tip!

Aleksandra said...

I'm so in love with this outfit! It's really inspiring and black/white/mustard is such a lovely colour combination.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...