Sunday, 16 March 2014

blue flowers, blowy skirts and trying something new

blue-floral-breeze a Well, I said that I would do it, and I keep my word, so here it is! In this post I promised to try somewhere new for breakfast/lunch/brunch whatever we want to call the first meal out on ze weekend, and last Sunday we did. Hoorah! John and I met up with a friend fairly early at Pomona in Preston, a cafe she goes to quite often and thought we would like, too.

For as long as I can remember, even back in not-so-sunny London, my biggest wardrobe gap has been in summer tops. We've been having a warm start to Autumn after a shockingly cold few days, and I really wanted to wear my vintage cotton skirt with the bright blue flowers. I love this skirt; it's soft, floaty and quite long, falling well below my knees, which feels really quite elegant and even, dare I say it, grown up – something I've felt is missing from my summer 'drobe.

Of course, a skirt needs a top, and that's where I struggle a bit. The background colour is a warm cream, so white is out. I wore it with a cream top a few weeks ago but didn't fancy repeating it – not terrible or anything, but you know when you just don't love something? – and so I pulled out my ancient cream silk top with the navy polka dots, and then matched it with my navy tbar shoes. (So much for the grown up bit, then, but I do love those shoes!)

I've had this top for years, and used to get a lot of wear out of it, but Sunday I decided: it was done. Top be gone! Still, I'm glad I got a fun morning with it, blowy wind and all! pamono lady face wall I really liked Pomona. The decor was certainly a good start, with its vintage lady wall! We enjoyed good coffee and absolutely enormous breakfasts that had the cutest names – John's was called fox in socks, which wins me over even if I did accidentally call it foxy socks when I went up to pay. john brekkie ja brekkie my savoury brekkie In keeping with my plans, I ordered a savoury breakfast too – no more food envy from me. And I enjoyed it, but I will admit I really wanted something sweet afterwards – I was just too full! Glad that floral skirt isn't too tight... Here's to out with the old, and in with the new! x birdie-table


ELLIE said...

Looking lovely! Can't help but be envious of that sun as Sydney opens the heavens... and gosh, I know what you mean about summer tops. I always get caught out at the end of spring, convinced my colder layering shirts will do. And then it hits 40. Yuck.

Eccentric Owl said...

That is such a pretty skirt! I love flowy skirts like that. And what a wonderful place to eat! The food looks so delicious!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Obvious bordering on cliche comparison though it may be, I can't help but be reminded of Marilyn Monroe when I see that first photo of the wind whipping up your (gorgeous) floral print skirt and the ensuing look of surprise on your face. Great shot! :)

♥ Jessica

Abigail ~ said...

Hi there! I'm loving all these beautiful colors!
It's still winter here in the states, so thank you for sharing your late summer with us. So pretty!
I do adore your blog and am a new follower. Keep up the great work!


The Dainty Dolls House said...

Gorgeous. This looks like a lovely place. It's great to try new never know what you'll find. Love your outfit!! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...