Saturday, 1 March 2014

flowers, moons and ears

chianti-barrel Last Friday John and I went on a date night (a term I never thought I'd actually use, but there it is; it's actually rather sweet, now that I think about it – and completely apt) to a new restaurant, with me in my this skirt. We hadn't been out for diner as a couple, as in just the two of us, for a while, and it was really nice to throw caution (and cash!) to the wind and do so. We even met there, rather than at home to then head back out together – all too often that results in deciding that the couch does look rather comfortable after all, and hey, maybe money is better saved for another week...

We checked out the just-opened Chianti Bar and Bistro in North Fitzroy. It's the new baby of the owners of one of our absolute favourite cafes (going out for breakfast always seems much more acceptable, for some strange reason) Mixed Business, which is just down the road. We've always liked what they do in the am, so trying out some after dark stuff seemed like a pretty obvious, and safe, step.

two wines It's a small place in a strip of cafes and restaurants in a part of town we don't think of going to for night time stuff, and it's charming. It's got neon lights on the windows, exposed brick walls and, the best, I think, bits – old doors between the various rooms. It looks as though a lot of the more structural things haven't changed since, say, the 1940s. I have a real thing for places that keep their character (and fittings, where possible) and I love the cosy, familiar feeling it gives me. It's a friendly spot, somewhere to go to for quiet nights of carb-loading comfort that I think I will enjoy even more when it's properly cold outside.

Speaking of carb-loading, we gave that a very good go – the zucchini flowers were the only green thing we put in our mouths the whole evening. Next time I must remember to order a salad and not just think about it; I rather conveniently forgot as I shoveled fluffy, crispy batter and orecchiette into my face. Don't know how that happened!. zflowers We took breaks from eating to get through a carafe of red, which is enough to get me sparkly-eyed and warm, and enjoy all the "moons" outside, and helped make the tram ride home that much more bearable too. Actually, it was completely fine – dare I say it, but we might just have found a sort of local here. moons

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks like you had a great night! It's important to make time for spontaneous things like that.

http://www.creagirl.com

beate grigutsch said...

wonderful!!!!!

Jessica Cangiano said...

What a wonderfully lovely, relaxing looking evening. Aren't battered and deep friend blossoms like that marvelous? They're a firm favourite of Tony's, as he grew up eating them as a boy in Italy.

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

Anonymous Lisa : so true. You need nights out together!

beate grigutsch : it was :) must do more often!

Jessica Cangiano : haha I like deep friend blossoms :D That must be amazing, growing up in Italy, Tony must have some amazing memories.x

The Dainty Dolls House said...

It looks like a really lovely time out. I could do with one of those...haven't been out in ages...not always so easy with children :) xx

Gracie said...

Ah it would have been nice to see a proper pic of outside, I'll have to go google it now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...