Monday, 3 March 2014

my weekend in Melbourne, the start of autumn, sparkly nails and rings and very big dogs

autumn Good morning and happy Monday to you. I hope you had a lovely weekend. I did, just about, although I did spend Sunday concentrating very hard on not accepting that I have a cold, and telling myself that the Lemsips and panadol were merely precautions and that I would be drinking a raw beetroot, peach and strawberry juice anyway. Actually, that's true about the beetroot juice. It's delicious. Here is my weekend as seen through my instagram.

Much more exciting is the fact that Saturday was our first official (ridiculous notion but I'll take it anyway!) day of Autumn! Happy joy joy and dancing all round. It was beautifully clear and sunny but with enough of a chill in the air to make the change really noticeable and it was heaven. Absolutely gorgeous. The plants and trees are just starting to come back to life, too, and are all vibrant colours glowing under that slightly lower sun. It is all rather lovely and makes me very happy.

On Friday night we met a couple of friends at Mr and Mrs Howell in Brunswick for drinks and snackies, deciding that the anchovy on pesto toast was very nice (as were the fritters) and enjoying being looked after by the lovely staff, before going to a second place where apparently the wine was very good (I was driving so I didn't have any) but not much else was. I drove everyone home afterwards which always makes me feel healthy, frugal and useful and therefore very saintly. Will DESERVE vino and taxi next time, having earned it, obviously. burnt-orange-nails-vintage-green-velvet To mark the onset of Fall, I painted my nails a burnt orange, topped with dusty rose hued glitter of differing sizes, and then admired how they looked with my new, huge sparkly ring that I bought from Lovisa last week when I had to go past the shop on the way to the post office. I then realised that maybe, just maybe, the green stones might match the velvet of the vintage opera coat that I've had for years but not worn much, and the nails would match the lining... and lo and behold, bingo!

The dark orange colour is by ORLY which makes me think of owls (YA SRSLY etc) and I think it is very good. This colour is extra nice, kind of metallic-y with tiny shimmery bits, and has an almost shot fabric finish, with subtle olive and a touch of yellow showing when you turn your hands left and right. The glitter is by Essie, and the perfect pale pink colour, and it does last for ages but is a bit of a faff to get off. Totally worth it, in my opinion. vintage-blue-dress-collar I'm so excited about wearing cold-weather clothes again, and have started to go through my wardrobe to see what I want to wear first. This is one of my all time favourite vintage dresses, bought years ago now, and it needs a little bit of love and care before I can wear it again. I've hung it in my living room to remind me to do it when I'm watching TV in the evening but this trick hasn't actually worked so far... it will get done, soon, though, as I want to wear lots of dark, plain colours – navy, blacks, dark grey etc – this winter and this dress fits the bill perfectly.

On Saturday, John and I drove up to a farmer's market in Bundoora that we hadn't been to before, trailing bags and backpacks and hoping for good fresh veg. And we weren't disappointed; all bags were loaded with crisp goodies plus bread, cheese and some beef to roast later in the week. Yum. We also met this ginormous dog. Isn't he beautiful? Quite often I think I'd love a great big dog. I don't think Babycat feels the same! beautiful-big-great-dane

11 comments:

The Feather Den said...

HAHA, "ORLY" also makes me think of the owl meme! I literally can not look at a bottle and not say "O RLY?" at myself in my head.
Gorge pictures, your weekend sounded fun!

x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

Jenny said...

we have two big dogs and three cats who tolerate them and occasionally snuggle with them! you should totally get one! your pictures are beautiful, as always.

beate grigutsch said...

ahh - farmers market!
cant wait when they start here again. at the moment we live on potatoes, parsnip, apples, carrots etc. - things you can store in cellars until the garden season starts.
can you imagine what a dog like this eats?? ;-)

Selina said...

That dog is adorable!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I think it depends on the temprement of the dog. some big dogs can be really good with cats.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Gorgeous picture at the top, love that!! Am happy your weekend was grand. The dog is the sweetest, that face :)) I hope you get all your wardrobe changes done, I am looking forward to when I can change mine...I miss the sunshine :) Have a gorgeous week x

WendyBee said...

Love your nails, especially with the ring -- so starlet-y! And I really like the navy blue dress too. It's always such fun to see what you are up to and especially what you are wearing.

Kate-Em said...

Fantastic nail colour, thanks for sharing. Love the first picture in particular, so pretty!

IrishRedRose said...

And here, I use the owl meme pic to tease my football-loving/Superbowl obsessed friends--"superb owl?" lol. That blueish-green emerald shade with russet is lovely and the only orange/green combo I can wear without feeling like a carrot. :-) It's springish here but I was resisting the season change last week by donning Milani sienna polish with that same Essie pink glitter--it IS a great combo!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Your emerald ring is...wow...it's nothing short of jaw-droppingly gorgeous!!!

♥ Jessica

StinaP said...

Please show the opera coat - it looks stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...