Thursday, 6 March 2014

oranges and yellows and autumn and happy!

orange-autumn-sunshine-dress h I cannot even tell you how happy I am that it is Autumn! This is the time of year when I start to forgive Melbourne for its heatwaves, and start to like it again. Start to love it again, even! orange-autumn-sunshine-dress k As long time readers will know, Autumn is my favourite season. I love it. Even here in Melbourne, where it's so different to the Autumns in London I grew up with; there it was all stark trees against grey skies that were dark by the end of the afternoon, that beautiful burning wood smell from bonfires, and the excitement of mu second favourite night of the year, Guy Fawkes night! It was such a romantic time of year and I loved it every time. Here it has, I think, a lot more in common with Spring. And, it's still very warm by usual standards, so it's still very much sundress weather – sundressing in comfort! orange-autumn-sunshine-dress d orange-autumn-sunshine-dress a On Tuesday morning I had an early start and was in the city by 8am to go to a press launch – and more on that soon. It's wonderfully brisk now, as the sun comes up, so I could even wear a little cardigan with my dress to keep the chill of my shoulders. To really celebrate the start of this golden magic season, I chose my vintage mustard wool cardi, and matched it with my early 1960s sundress in oranges and yellows (lemons, St Clements?) and a touch of olive green. orange-autumn-sunshine-dress c My Swedish Hasbeens, which have now been broken in and are completely comfy without socks, even for long treks, were dirty from when I'd walked on burnt ground with them (I need to try sandpaper on them, I think) so I wore my favs from last year, the orange polka dot platforms from Gorman. orange-autumn-sunshine-dress f And, what can I say, the day was beautiful! It actually got a bit too hot in the evening but let's just ignore that, yes? orange-autumn-sunshine-dress e orange-autumn-sunshine-dress i And, as you can see, I'd kept it all in the ornage family with mah nails, too. The ORLY + Essie combo has lasted for ages – much longer than my usual at-home manis do. Noice. Almost as nice, in fact, as this glorious sunshine! x orange-autumn-sunshine-dress b

28 comments:

Demi said...

I love your dress! I'm always scared to wear orange and yellow because I feel I'm too pale for it but I reckon if you can rock it, I shouldn't do too bad! :)

Demi
http://carbonchic.com.au

Hannah Spanner said...

You look gorgeous, wish we had some sunshine in old Blighty xxx

Elke said...

What a pretty garden. Autumn with sunshine and flowers seems nice :) How did you take those pictures? Tripod and remote? Or did you bring a volunteer photographer? The coloring and lighting in your pictures is always so good!! That cardigan looks a different colour with your copper hair or maybe it's the dress that changes it. Or the lighting... Cool how that happens :)

Sassy T said...

You look so pretty. I am obsessed with florals at the moment. Am just looking for the right fabric and I will be whipping up a cute dress. Well that's the plan.

Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees ❀

Jessica Cangiano said...

How fabulously lovely for you and all others in Melbourne that autumn is upon you again. It's my all-time favourite season as well, and I always feel over-the-moon happy when it returns. I hope you have a fantastic one!

♥ Jessica

Pretty Purple said...

you look so pretty :)) beautiful outfit :))

http://prettypurple92.weebly.com/

Fanny said...

Such an amazing dress!

Kayla GracefullyVintage said...

Such beautiful photos and a perfect outfit! Autumn is so lovely, I am looking forward to it cooling down more... It is usually really nice in NSW too! x

Debs said...

Perfect Autumn colours :)

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

such a pretty outfit! I especially love the shoes. Here in north-qld it is still quite warm :( I am looking forward to donning tights and not turning into a sweaty mess when i leave work in my hot box car...

pootleandmake said...

Your dress is swoonsome, I love the colours. What gorgeous weather, your pictures are stunning.

Alli said...

Gorgeous autumn colours!

Alexandra Marie said...

I LOVE this dress! You always find the prettiest sun dresses! Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogspot.com

Teresa said...

ONE MILLION YAYS FOR AUTUMN!!!
Love your dress lady.
xo

esme and the laneway said...

Demi: it can definitely work with pale skin!

Hannah Spanner well the change over is starting to happen already! x

Elke : isn't it gorgeous! I took these myself. And a different colour to what? IN these pics?

Sassy T : oh cool! To be able to sew is awesome :)

Jessica Cangiano : thanks! Hope your Spring is amazing, too – I bet you're ready for it!

Kayla GracefullyVintage : isn't it the best when it starts to cool down! :D I love how it "cools down" to nice sundress wearing weather haha!

Natalie_vintage_girl : ooh yes, I relate to that..! I think there's still a while for that though, sigh :)

Teresa: :D YAY YAY YAY :D x

Whitney said...

Really beautiful color combination.

Sparrow said...

I'm celebrating with you, thank goodness the worst of that heat is gone! Still a few hot days left but I forgive them because I know they're the last of their kind. I agree on England too; the seasons there seem so much more...civilized. Last time I was there was high summer and much the same as the weather here now. We even had a 30c day- I didn't even notice! 30c here and I'm hiding under the AC. ;)

Sarah said...

Beautiful pictures! I just love your dress, the colours are lovely. Glad to hear it's cooling down a bit now in Melbourne, I don't think I could have coped with the hot summer that you guys had.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

You look wonderful. I am happy Spring is making it's way here, though we're still getting a lot of rain, but once March & April is in, the weather will be bliss. Autumn is a great season, I love it after Spring. Your dress is gorgeous & I like that you matched your nails :)) xx

Miranda said...

those polka dot shoes are so fun. love all the orange. it's been fun reading your blog and seeing bright sunny dresses while it's freezing cold over here in the states. now we're transitioning into spring and i'm ready to wear my own summer clothes!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

unfortunately yes :( It's raining now though so it's not so bad....

Anniina said...

What a lovely dress, it suits you well! Beautiful photos as well. We had a lousy winter here, so I'm happy it's gonna be spring soon!

Lacy Cooke said...

It was so funny for me to read your first sentence about it being autumn there...I'm in Connecticut and we can't wait for the end of winter here :) I can't seem to wrap my mind around different seasons in different hemispheres haha. That said, I love your dress! So perfect for the season, and so adorable :)

Gabriela Neves said...

wow!!

xx

cabecanasnuvensz.blogspot.com.br

Gabriela Neves said...

linda!!


xx


cabecanasnuvensz.blogspot.com.br

laura redburn said...

autumn is my favourite too! though i do love mid springtime too.

this dress and its colours look amazing on you!

Vickie said...

your hair goes perfectly with all those warn, autumnal colours - gorgeous :)

Elke said...

Ahum... the cardigan was blue. My memory deceived me :) Strange, but it seems to happen a lot to me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...