Saturday, 15 March 2014

thank you cards, wobbly hand writing and handed down vintage

thankyou-card a Something I'd like to do more of is write thank you cards. I think it is such a nice courtesy, especially in these modern days of electro-everything. I recently hand wrote a thank you card – having first gone to the (seemingly humungous beforehand but of course it's not at all) effort of going to the shop, and picking the one that I thought was most appropriate – and it was lovely, but it was also a bit strange. Because I don't often write things by hand anymore, my hand writing felt wobbly and there was that knowledge in the back of my mind that if I stuffed it up, there was no delete, command-undo or copy and pasting to rectify it. What went down stayed down!

thankyou-card b And I am pleased to say I managed to write out the whole card (!), find a stamp, and then stroll off to the local post box to send it on its merry way. The reason of the card was to say thank you to my friend's mother, who very kindly gave me a vintage jacket that she had owned for many years, and thought would be something I would like. I will show it to you soon, of course – it's a black 1920s velvet jacket with flared sleeves, a decorative buckle to close at the hip line and amazing detail on the collar – and it fits me perfectly. Thanks VERY much indeed!

What's nicest about this is not the jacket (although it's rather fab) but the fact that I know some of the history of it. I know all us vintage lovers like to know the story behind a garment, who owned it, where they wore it, what it got up to in the past. Not having any of my own family, I don't have anything handed down to me, which is something I'll always long for and miss. This feels closer to something along those lines, something that was worn and passed on to a known good home. Worth at least a thank you card, I think!

You know, having done it, it wasn't even a faff... I hope to do more of this hand-written communication business in future! thankyou-card c

7 comments:

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

oh how lovely! I actually have the cutest little book on letter writing. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm hoping to soon. I will have to give you a link to the review when I am done, I think you would like it.

Alli said...

I'm very old school when it comes to thanking people, and always write Thankyou cards. I think it is such a shame that not as people do it anymore. I think it is such a nice way to thank someone for such a beautiful gesture

Jessica Cangiano said...

Beautiful card choice - I really like the earthy, citrusy colour palette at work in that design.

I love writing note, cards and letters by hand. It's so important, I feel, to see our own handwriting and read that of others still in this era of unending technology. It helps connect us with a side of ourselves (or handwriting) that is lost online.

♥ Jessica

Kasia Górska said...

oh yes, nowadays it's so unusual to receive some actual writter word!

WendyBee said...

Yes. yEs. Yes. Are you in Australia always hearing about the impending demise of the Postal Service, like we are here in the U.S.? I always cringe when I hear these stories of budget cuts and proposals to curtail Saturday deliveries. I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. There's nothing like the breathless anticipation when you find hand-written correspondence you find in the mailbox. I have been thinking about launching an effort on my blog to commit to sending happy and lovely things by mail. For Valentine's Day, I sent out about thirty cards, and have gotten such delighted responses.
May I congratulate you on your Thank You note effort and encourage you to create a habit of hand-written, stamped and mailed. Sending you hugs and smiles!

Lacy Cooke said...

Loved this post. My mom raised me and my sister to write thank yous, but it's easy to send something electronic in this day and age. I love receiving mail, though, and although I usually only send it to my grandparents, it's fun to take the time to hand write a card. It makes a bigger statement than it used to, I think.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Writing letters in general has gone down so much since we have email and stuff like that, we've gotten used to getting things fast and at the time we want it. I love stationary and writing letters, I need to do it more often really. It's such a lovely gesture to send a thank you note to someone dear xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...