Saturday, 22 March 2014

the IKEA ‘Brighter Lives for Refugees’ campaign

IKEA-lamp b Well I am frantically getting everything finalised before jetting off to London, but really wanted to share this with you asap.

This is the latest thing from IKEA to make it into my home, (where it will have quite a few brothers and sisters, all surname IKEA), a (gifted by IKEA and accepted with appreciation) lamp for one of the darkest corners of my living room. It fits perfectly onto my narrow mid century shelves and sends up a nice glow on the assorted bits and bobs that live on it, and the dresses on the walls behind. Now we can see the good things, such as my rather elderly books (my favourite kind, with that thick paper, beautiful hard covers and that special old book smell) on ‘Violette Szabo’ and ‘The New Look’. It also lights up the far less nice but at least very useful wires dangling about like cold spaghetti, and the all important internet gizmos I’m trying to hide behind a book on Art Nouveau posters, with partial success.IKEA-lamp a But the main point for this post is I want to share with you IKEA’s ‘Brighter Lives for Refugees’ campaign, which will run in stores across Australia and the world until March 29th. (Yes I am a bit late with this, my apologies.)

For every LEDARE (LED light bulb) sold during the campaign, the IKEA Foundation will donate Є1 (approx $1.50 AUD) to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). Funds raised by the campaign will help to provide solar street lights, indoor solar lanterns, and other renewable energy technologies such as fuel-efficient cooking stoves in UNHCR refugee camps in countries including Ethiopia, Chad, Bangladesh and Jordan. In addition the campaign will also fund improved primary education.“

“In 2013, over 2 million people became refugees – a near twenty-year record. With each new humanitarian emergency the support of the private sector becomes more vital and more urgent. Through UNHCR’s global partnership with IKEA, Australians will have the opportunity to transform the lives of many refugee children and their families, helping to make each camp a safer and more secure home,” said Naomi Steer, Australia for UNHCR’s National Director.

An excellent campaign and even more reason to visit a store – although my friend, who recently moved house, and went twice on one day, might want a bit of a break (I think she’ll resist for about a week).

About IKEA Foundation
The IKEA Foundation aims to improve opportunities for children and youth in the world’s poorest communities by funding holistic, long-term programs that can create substantial, lasting change. Currently-funded programs benefit an estimated 100 million children by 2015. Learn more at and www.facebook/IKEAfoundation

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, also known as the UN Refugee Agency, was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR safeguards the rights and well-being of refugees. In more than six decades, the agency has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. UNHCR is on the front lines of the world's major humanitarian crises, including Syria, Mali, Afghanistan, South Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and countless other emergencies. Read more at
IKEA-lamp c


Amanda said...

UNHCR does great work.I have a friend who used to work for them. And I like seeing little corners of your home. I agree about old books -- they're the best. I recently came home from a big museum benefit rummage sale with a whole tote bag full.

WendyBee said...

Certainly a worthy cause. I've never been to an Ikea (I know -- WhAt?). There isn't one near me, sigh. But I will be checking online about making a donation. Thanks for shedding some light on the need.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Thank you for shinning the spotlight (intentional pun, but I the sentiment is 100% sincere) on this very worthwhile cause.

That is a chic, beautiful lamp (I have one, bought several years ago, from Ikea that is quite similar and love it to bits) and one that's shape has a great vintage-y vibe to it.

♥ Jessica

esme and the laneway said...

Amanda : Ooh nice score! I have had to stop myself from buying more books (an lots of thing, really) because I don't have anywhere to keep them. Boo. it was interesting to read about UNHCR. There's such an enourmous amount of help and work needed there x

WendyBee : thanks SO much. I was a bit worried about putting this up here in a way, but it is such an important cause. x (and I'm kinda impressed? amazed? you've never been to an Ikea haha!)

Jessica Cangiano : thanks Jessica! They are good aren't they! This one reminds me of an art nouveau lamp I had for a few years before accidentally breaking it, I was so sad :< I like the light from this one, not too bright :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...