Tuesday, 4 March 2014

tuesday beauty: hair oils, moroccan oil and argan oil

moroccan-argan-hair-oils a This week I want to talk about hair oils. Namely Moroccan and Argan oils. And I'd like to talk about them because I've been hearing a lot said about them, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Having been on something of a roller coaster ride for the past 18 months or so, my hair is in need of a bit of TLC. Well, a lot, actually. My hair, which is incredibly (luckily, considering all I've done to it!) resilient, despite being so fine, has never been so damaged. Never. I've never been too concerned about shampoos – some work better than others, but I've never had something like a miracle happen, so will use whatever, to some degree – I go by whichever one smells the best – and conditioner was something that just made the bath slippy and so was skipped, until I went platinum and used lots of it to do my hair pastel pink, blue, lilac and so on.

Now, on my fourth time of colouring my very pale bleached hair back to something more natural, it's been all about the conditioner. And the treatments. I'm patiently growing it out, opting to have inches cut off at a time (since I went red I've had about 6 inches lopped off) which has been a hard decision to make, as I really want to grow my hair longish again. It's that time-old question: to save damaged ends for as long as you can, or to chop them all off?

I am doing a bit of both. I've found a few treatments that actually really do make a massive difference to my hair. And I have finally tried some oils, too. I wasn't too sure about oils at first; anything that gets that much hype rarely lives up to it and anyway, surely using oil in your hair must make it a bit greasy and yuck.

I got the chance to try out two oils, a Macadamia treatment with Aragn oils, and Moroccan oil. I've been using them alternately for a couple of weeks now, on damp, unconditioned hair after I've washed it. Both were different from what I expected and both were very good. macadamia-argan-oil a The Macadamia Luxurious Oil Treatment contains the Argan Oils I was interested in, and has a nice, fresh smell – somewhat zingy, and less cloyingly sweet and cake-like than I thought it would be. It works in very quickly and doesn't leave any kind of oily, stuck-together-y bits, which is the one thing I thought oil treatments might do. In fact it leaves my hair very conditioned and soft but also very light, which I really like – there's no weightiness to hinder any curling. It leaves behind a subtle, fresh scent and hugely improves my dry lengths. It also doesn't make my roots greasy and doesn't leave my hands gunky and gross afterwards either. Win win win. I sometimes need to add a touch more to the very ends of my hair to help seal, albeit temporarily of course, my split ends.

 (Yes I have split ends even after last months' 3 inch chop. Or was it 4? Like I said, patiently growing it out...)

One thing I saw that surprised me was the line on the front saying it is "...enhanced with beneficial silicones" – silicones have had a bad rap when it comes to hair care for years but to be honest, if they make my hair that much nicer, I'll use 'em. And, in this case, they do. Fine. moroccanoil-treatment The other oil I tried was the one I have seen big displays for here and there, The Moroccanoil Treatment. This one has an ever so slightly stronger, sweeter smell, and a slightly heavier feel in my hair – after smoothing it in, my hair is silkier and more together, if you know what I mean. It feels a bit richer, both on my hands when I'm putting it in, and then in my hair, too. It also smooths down any frazzled ends quickly. I really, really like this one. I'm happy to use either one to replace a traditional conditioner when washing my hair.

The verdict? Erm, I really like both of them. The have slightly difference results, but that's only if I'm being very picky. They both massively improve the look and feel of my hair. Massively. I would definitely buy either of them again. I'm curious how they'd go in less damaged hair, now... I'll find out when I am using them in a year or so. Bring. It. On.

And you – do you use hair oils? What do you think?

disclosure: both products were gifted to Esme and the Laneway.



hair-oils










22 comments:

Mani said...

Great post! I've only ever tried almond oil on my hair and it works a treat, but these sound like great options too :)

Marianna Chalkiadaki said...

Very useful post as I want to buy them both! Thanks Marianne!

Lisa said...

I use argan oil on my hair. It's quite long, I dye it dark (I'm a natural blonde!) and am straightening it every day right now, so it gets a lot of abuse. I find the oil really helps smooth frizz and makes my hair feel really silky. Not greasy like I thought it would.

Lisa.

esme and the laneway said...

Mani : glad the almond oil works :) I was similar, but these feel/apply very differently from regular oil and are a nice, lighter option! x

Marianna Chalkiadaki : glad to be of service! Let me know how you go with them x

Lisa : oh good, glad it's working! The non-greasy was a big surprise for me, and definitely a bonus x

Demi said...

I dunno, I'm on the fence about this! While I am all for maintaining your hair and looking after it, I don't believe that you can "fix" damaged hair--it's dead, there's no regeneration to be done, and your best bet is to take supplements to make sure it grows out strong so it can take whatever you throw at it.

I love being a redhead which is why I only dye with henna.. No split ends, no burnt hair, no bleaching--I love long hair too much and hate frizzy ends! :(

Demi
http://carbonchic.com.au

Glazed Over said...

I have both! I swear by the Macadamia oil and prefer it a tad more, but the Moroccan oil is great, too!

xo Brianna | Glazed Over

Iliska Dreams said...

I used the Macadamia treatment on my hair and love it! Even with my hair now past my waist and all of the colouring and heat damage I have done to it, with the oil it feels like silk. I use a bigger amount on the day I shampoo and then a very small amount on the end each morning.

esme and the laneway said...

Demi : Oh I'm with you 100% one this! Absolutely true. This is for me making my hair as "good" as possible, temporarily, before I can chop off the very damaged bits. I've been thinking about actually going completely natural with just a couple of highlights, and using a semi colour for the red... argh, one day :D At least my hair is still growing fast, right..?!

Glazed Over : ooh interesting, what do you prefer about the Macadamia one? x

Selina said...

My hair is very oily so I can't use any oil on it which is a shame because I'd love to try peppermint oil. I put Argan oil in my hair once by the hair dresser and my hair was ruined. Couldn't wash it out for a week, it greased up my hair so badly I couldn't leave the house. Not joking

Toni-Louise said...

Great post! I use MoroccanOil on my hair and don't think I would use anything else, I used to have super damaged hair but after a couple of weeks of using this my hair was totally different and everyone commented on how healthy it looked. Now I just use it after every time I wash it and even when I have been for an intense bleaching session at the hairdressers my hair still feels great. Love it! x

Michelle Bates said...

Moroccanoil is one of my holy grail hair products. I could not recommend it enough to anyone who wants to have long healthy hair.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Love these...my hair gets dry now and again and I use these on my hair and it's wonderful. Not too greasy either, as some products can really make my hair go greasy from one use and I dislike that. Happy you liked them too. Some really great hair products I use as well are from John Masters or Gielly Green, they smell amazing and work brilliantly & organic too!! :) x

jana said...

I use the moroccan oil. It definitely helps to smooth out my hair, especially my *ahem* split ends. It also helps A LOT on my non-hair-washing days. Dry shampoo at the roots, moroccan oil on the ends!

Although after reading this post and comments, I'm definitely wanting to try the macadamia!

xo Jana

beate grigutsch said...

no split ends - but to sooth my - horse like - hair i use what ever is on hand - usually a natural oil made only from plants which i use for the skin too.....

Lauren said...

A bit of a different one to the traditional oils, I use coconut oil and it's been revolutionary. I melty it down (it's hard at room temp) in the microwave or on the hob, and apply it hot (but not too hot!) to my hair, all over but concentrating on the roots. I then wrap it up and leave it overnight, washing it over with plenty of shampoo in the morning and then conditioning as normal. The difference it made ot my hair was extraordinary - but it is a bit of a faff so I only do it a couple of times a month.

Amarië said...

I first used extra virgin coconut oil in my hair but that left the hair a bit too greasy and did not seem to do a lot. I m currently using henna but before that I did abuse my hair quite a bit (including chemical straightening), so it was in a very bad shape. After henna the hair got better but ends still split. Once at the hairdressers we were talking about oils and she suggested argan oil, just a drop every day to use in the ends. I went and got the extra virgin argan oil (originally meant for cooking but it does not matter) and I have not regretted it! Almost no split ends after that, which is very good since I am growing my hair out. My current hairdresser said, 'whatever you're doing, keep doing it!".

Amarië said...

I first used extra virgin coconut oil in my hair but that left the hair a bit too greasy and did not seem to do a lot. I m currently using henna but before that I did abuse my hair quite a bit (including chemical straightening), so it was in a very bad shape. After henna the hair got better but ends still split. Once at the hairdressers we were talking about oils and she suggested argan oil, just a drop every day to use in the ends. I went and got the extra virgin argan oil (originally meant for cooking but it does not matter) and I have not regretted it! Almost no split ends after that, which is very good since I am growing my hair out. My current hairdresser said, 'whatever you're doing, keep doing it!".

IrishRedRose said...

My original hair was auburn as a child, dark brown with reddish-gold threads as an adult, and then prematurely graying, starting in my 20s. I've dyed it red for many years now, BUT I don't bleach it. You can actually get a nice true bright auburn/coppery range of shades just using red hair dye without lightening first. I seem to recall that your natural color is possibly lighter brown than mine, so I don't think you ever need to bleach again if you don't want to. Granted proper hair dye IS peroxide, but still--as long as I use a rich conditioner things come out fine. I'd recommend Bumble&Bumble super rich conditioner--pricey, but I need to use so little that I make an 8 ounce bottle (20ish dollars here) last for months. And yes, the moroccanoil is great! I thought it'd be greasy too, but not at all. Plus it seems to also be good for the hands. :-) Definitely gonna try the macadamia version too now...

esme and the laneway said...

Selina : how much did you put in?!

Toni-Louise : it really does make a difference, doesn't it? Thank goodness!

The Dainty Dolls House : the not-greasy thing was a big surprise, and a good one! Mmm, nice smells are my favourite thing in hair products (competing with the benefits!) so will keep and eye out for these.

jana : they're both so effective!

beate grigutsch : a fan of nature! I sometimes want to be a natural girl but the lure of artificial technology is too strong ;)

Anonymous Lauren : I've heard that's very good! (I had a jar of coconut oil here and it was liquid in the heat, blergh! haha) but it does sound like a bit of a faff. Still if it makes a huge difference it's worth it!

Amarië: oh nice! Growing out damaged hair is a pain, isn't it! Glad it's working so well :)

IrishRedRose : you're right, I don't bleach anymore now, just a tiny bit of lightening the regrowth. It's harder to gt B&B here but I always hear great things about it, so I might just get some in Europe. And let me know if you try the macadamia oil, would love to know what you think x






Ashley said...

I absolutely use oils! Great for sealing my ends. My favorites are olive, jojoba, coconut, and argan. Also great for dry skin.

Vickie said...

I use Moroccan oil in my hair (a different brand, but I'm sure they are similar) - I've got wavy hair & find the oil helps it not get frizzy, especially as it grows.

Vickie said...

I use Moroccan oil in my hair (a different brand, but I'm sure they are similar) - I've got wavy hair & find the oil helps it not get frizzy, especially as it grows.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...