Friday, 21 March 2014

very full twirly skirts

pink-and-purple f Happy Friday! A quick outfit from me, as I really need to go and pack. But I wore this pink and maroon-y-purple-y SUPER full skirt last Saturday and it was so comfortable and fun I wanted to share it!

I found this skirt at Savers towards the end of last year (along with a HUMONGOUS pink petticoat; someone must've dropped off their old square dancing stuff) and knew it had to be mine. I don't have much dark red in my wardrobe, which seems a bit odd as I really quite like it. I also love that it is more than a circle and has an elastic waist – perfect, really, because we were having some friends over for dinner that evening and that firm, no-elastic belt would be coming off!

We had a few things to do earlier in the day, and ended up driving past this huge patch of dried yellow grass. And, well, I couldn't resist the idea of purple against all that yellow..! pink-and-purple c pink-and-purple e It was such a hot steamy day, with a storm trying to break. pink-and-purple b Can you tell it was a bit windy? pink-and-purple d Or, rather, very windy! pink-and-purple a So much for secure updos! pink-and-purple g We had a much-needed afternoon coffee at Boundary in Preston, which is at the end of this very pretty little side street. Extra bonus points for the flowers toning with my skirt nicely there, and to the bike next to this gorgeous poochie!

Right, I am literally going to go and pack, right now. Argh it feels so stressful! Wish me luck! doggy-in-the-window

13 comments:

Demi said...

That skirt is amazing! Love op shop buys, you can get the quirkiest things sometimes, haha. Your skirt kind of reminds me of a vintage umbrella or a circus tent (oh man that sounds bad when I read it back, but I mean that in a good way!). Did you end up buying the petticoat as well? :)

Demi
http://carbonchic.com.au

esme and the laneway said...

Demi : haha no i totally know what you mean, it does! I did, it's so full on and I tried it on the other week to see what it looks like under skirts... it's very full! But I think I might just do it this winter, it's fun :)

Anonymous said...

Please please please do a post on packing vintage clothes and/or how to care for such delicate garments whilst away on holiday! I'm leaving for a trip soon and am petrified of hurting my dresses.

Fräulein K. said...

i love the colours of the skirt, at the second photo i have to think of a tulip ;)

Frances said...

Oh, I love it! Something about the way the skirt is put together makes it a little more bohemian-looking than a full skirt might look otherwise, and it looks perfect for the hot weather (if perhaps a little susceptible to wind)

Boyer Family Singers said...

Such pretty photos! Love the colors. That skirt is ever so fun!

-Charlotte
boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

Miglė said...

This skirt is amazing! I would probably be twirling all the time while wearing this one :)

WendyBee said...

Yes, I love this skirt and petticoat combo. I immediately thought it must be for square dancing, but I didn't know if that was just an American thing.
Choose your partner - do-si-do!

Vickie said...

love that second photo & hope the packing is going well!

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

such a cute skirt!

esme and the laneway said...

(Where did my replies go?! I posted them here last week!)

Anonymous : perfect timing! I will. I'm not taking that much of my vintage because it will be too bulky and get crushed, plus I want lots of room to buy more when I'm there! :D

Fräulein K. : yes, me too!

Frances : it is, but yes, very fly-about-y in Melbourne's endless wind!

Miglė : thanks! It encourages me to twirl so much more!

WendyBee : I'm not sure if it was big in Australia, but I think there is definitely a stronger "country" influence here than in, say, the UK, ie. cowboy boots are a big thing here in a number of sub cultures, but in London they were always considered a bit naff. Getting used to this country influence has been a slow road but some bits are definitely good!

Vickie : thank you! I'm almost there with the packing..! Almost!

Natalie_vintage_girl : thanks Natalie!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Splendidly pretty skirt! I love that you tempered its uber sweetness with a solid black tee. The juxtaposition is striking, refreshing and beautiful.

♥ Jessica

Emilia the Lumberjack DeLuxe said...

Packing is the worst! But I love these photos, you look absolutely radiant, and not at all stressed out. You have a look all your own, but if I had to guess the recipe, I'd say two parts Scarlett Johansson, one part Christina Hendricks, plus one cup of sugar. I also love the movement in your photos, it really draws me in faster than heavily-posed, static shots. Stay lovely

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...