Monday, 12 May 2014

my weekend in Melbourne: Wicked the musical opening night

wicked-in-melbourne a On Saturday night I got to do something I keep meaning to do more of, but never quite manage – I went to a musical. A big huge production live musical in a theatre: Wicked! I was chuffed to be invited to the opening night, which was on Saturday. I brought John as my plus one, and after a rainy day, the skies cleared and we drove into Melbourne city, parked in our trusty Very Good Parking Spot For Weekends, and did a brisk trot back down the few blocks to the Regent Theatre on Collins St, which had been turned green to celebrate. It looked really good!

wicked-in-melbourne d wicked-in-melbourne c The traffic was heavier than usual so we had mere minutes to zoom through the packed foyer and settle in to our seats. I can't even remember the last production I've seen like this – I think it was before I even met John! – so I was pretty excited, even though I'll put my hand up and admit I knew very little about the story of Wicked, and what to expect.

And... it was amazing! From the moment it began it was high energy amazingness. And really good fun. What made it even more enjoyable was that so many of the full-house audience clearly loved the show, and whooped when performers came on, cheered, clapped, laughed – I heard someone singing along a row or two from me at one point! – and were generally so enthusiastic about the whole thing. It was really lovely to see, and to be a part of, as was the standing ovation at the end. There were also a lot of sparkly green outfits in the house! wicked-in-melbourne g I was in sparkly green, too. After some umming and ahhing – was sparkly green a yay or a nay? – I was very glad I decide it was, indeed, a yay. I wore my Topshop dark green sequin pencil skirt and a black spotted sheer mesh top (sheer along the arms and shoulders, but solid in the body) I bought from H&M in Paris (ooh get me). I did take some photos of me actually wearing them but I had to change my lens for it, and not only were they at-night-with-the-flash pics, they were blurry, too. Boo. (Babycat wanted to help me take these photographs. Or maybe she wants to wear some sequins, too?) wicked-in-melbourne f I am so chuffed I got to see that, and do recommend it. Thank you, Wicked, for an excellent, and different, evening!

Wicked the musical, at Melbourne's Regent Theatre: tickets here. I recommend it! wicked-in-melbourne b




7 comments:

Estranged said...

Gorgeous pictures :]

www.esttrill.co.uk

Kizzy Von Doll said...

Looks like a marvellous night and your outfit sounds wonderful. I like tops like the one you bought as well. No doubt, you looked amazing. Am happy you enjoyed yourself xx

Erica Louise said...

What a spectacular show indeed!

Jessica said...

Wicked is such an amazing show. I've read the book and I saw the musical a couple of times in Chicago, and it just never got old. Your green sequins sounds like the perfect outfit.
Cheers,
Jessica, cakesandcakesvintage.blogspot.com

Miss Marie said...

Oh, Wicked is... errrr... wicked. I saw it in London a few years ago and it was completely off the wall with the sets and costumes and like a complete fantasy world. Glad you enjoyed but gutted your outfit photos didn't work - sounds like a fabulous, highly appropriate look.

Jessica Cangiano said...

That sparkly green sequin skirt is such a show-stopping stunner. It matches the vibrancy and glow of this amazing city so well.

♥ Jessica

tors grantham said...

Wicked's on my list to go see, I'd heard it was good. I saw Singin' In The Rain last year, the first musical I'd seen since I was about 16 I think, was bloody amazing! There's just something about a live musical isn't there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...